Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: On-Campus Conflicts with the Game Wednesday Night

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Re: On-Campus Conflicts with the Game Wednesday Night

Quote Originally Posted by firedog
    If that's all Ronny Walker said then that's pretty lame.....and tell Oakes that his student promotions won't work well if there is no signage out there promoting the games on campus! A lot of Tech students don't use their Tech email, therefore, they don't get the emails about games.
    Believe me Ronny Walker was smiling from ear to ear after reading that. When you have someone that's always looking over your shoulder, you tend to not say much. RW is one of the best guys at Tech and FOR TECH!

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

03 and Germ... I also understand y'alls point, but I don't think that this is the right situation for that arguement. There is almost nothing going on for most Mon, Tues, and Wed nights. I think that for the "major" sports that NEED attendance and noise, then no other campus wide events should be planned. Most churches have just made Wed night the secondary night for church services. It would be NOTHING to plan a month or 2 in advance to change those to Tuesday night, or to just make THAT your social event. If BCM, Wesley, UB, SGA, whoever want to make a social event, what better atmoshpere than a basketball game. I don't think that any college student would rather sit in the Tonk and watch Bambi with 50 people rather than go to a sporting event with a few thousand.

I think that one of the biggest things was the Intramurals events going on. These guys are obviously soprting fans... maybe not basketball fans, but sporting fans. Those are the guys that need to be told about the games and made sure that they attend. I'm not sure what Kennel night thing is, but I'm sure that they could have this on many different nights. They had the basketball schedules out in what.... August? (really asking.. I don't know) It would take NOTHING to move a Kennel night from Wed to Tues... or Wed to next Wed. in August or September.

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362
    Believe me Ronny Walker was smiling from ear to ear after reading that. When you have someone that's always looking over your shoulder, you tend to not say much. RW is one of the best guys at Tech and FOR TECH!
    Bingo

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362
    I don't think that any college student would rather sit in the Tonk and watch Bambi with 50 people rather than go to a sporting event with a few thousand.
    I am pretty sure that depends on where we can get the girls. If the Blue focuses on recruiting girls to come to the games then guys will be there.

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752
    I am pretty sure that depends on where we can get the girls. If the Blue focuses on recruiting girls to come to the games then guys will be there.
    Plus girls like to do things in groups....bring a couple of girls, they have fun and bring their friends to the next game and so on. So the key here is MORE girls in BLUE!

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

haha...I love it....

http://www.printroom.com/popupImage....3822&effectRGB=

There has been up to 4... maybe 5 painted up at some games.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

I don't care if they are painted. Get every girl on campus at the game and 95% of the guys will be begging to get in.

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

Response from UnionBoard:
    I've thought alot about what my response email was going to say.

The first draft was pretty angry, because I am a Tech student who
    spends 20 hours a week working to entertain the campus, and I am
    constantly getting these complaint emails and we never really get much
    thanks. It's a tough job, but I love it, even if we are
    underappreciated, I can live with that.

I'm going to get to the point and try not to ramble. Part of having a
    thriving campus experience is giving people options. People like to do
    different things, if they want to eat on campus, they do that, if they
    want to eat at Tolliver, or Taco Bell, or cook in their apartments, or
    fast, or try to find somewhere on campus that will feed them for free,
    that's exactly what they do. We didn't force anyone to stay at the
    Kennel Night, not even my committee members (quite a few of which left
    and went to the game). I was alright with that, because my job is to
    provide some form of quality entertainment on campus one night a week,
    something we've done since the beginning of the year. Check out the
    calendar for how many events there are this Tuesday. If people want to
    go see a dance troupe, or go to the dance, or go to our date night, or
    any of the other things going on, they'll do that. People will do what
    they want to do.

I think this is only the second time we've overlapped with a sporting
    event this year, I think that's pretty good odds considering how many
    of each of our events there are.

We work to support Tech students and give them something to do in this
    terribly exciting town that we live in, please respect that, and try
    not to be so accusatory when you email people, you kind of upset me, I
    had a 15-hour day on campus between class and Kennel Night on
    Wednesday, only to get home to an email from someone telling me I
    wasn't supporting my fellow students.

This is just me telling you how I feel, man to man, not speaking for
    the Board.

I didn't plan the overlap on purpose, but it doesn't matter, no mater
    what we do, we're going to overlap someone, last week it was basketball.

Thanks for your time,
    XXXX XXXX
    UB Special Events Chair

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Pro or con, I might suggest if they "keep getting these emails" they might want to listen more often.
    tm
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix
    Pro or con, I might suggest if they "keep getting these emails" they might want to listen more often.
    tm
    good pont TMO...

JFo :icon_wink

"my job is to provide some form of quality entertainment on campus one night a week"

How hard would it have been to move this date to a Monday or Tuesday for this week? Maybe they would get better turnouts like that because there are people that might want to go to Kennel Night but couldn't because it was a game night. It just sounds to me like they are focusing too much on those that don't want to go to the game instead of those that want some other entertainment throughout the week.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Sounds a little whiny to me. I don't wanna step on toes, but that e-mail was weak. "Look at how hard my job is...nobody likes me...I work hard while I'm in college..." Who cares?!?!?!?! If you can't take criticism, you shouldn't be in that position. "Quality" entertainment was already provided for that night.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg03
    What about all the religious organizations who meet on Thursdays (or has that changed)? I remember TNT or Common Ground, whatever it's called now, used to be at 7 on Thursdays. Should we ask them to rearrange their schedules, too?
    i can't speak for all the individual religious organizations on campus and how they schedule their events. but three years ago, common ground moved from thursday to tuesday nights -- in an effort to allow students to do other campus events, but also mainly because wac games happened on thursday nights. every week, once wac plays starts, there is a home game on thursday night -- either the dawgs or the techsters. common ground saw that and made a change.

i don't see why other campus organizations can't be as forward-thinking and accomodating. schedule your events around tech sporting events. it's not that hard -- there's one football game a week, at the most three home basketball games a week, and then baseball and softball normally happen on the weekends.

just for you information, common ground has now gone to a once a month format. part of the reason is because of a decline in interest. after six years, it's not as fresh as it was when it first began. also the band members have all graduated and started touring more often.

theprofessor

Champ steltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the rough steltz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752
    "my job is to provide some form of quality entertainment on campus one night a week"

How hard would it have been to move this date to a Monday or Tuesday for this week? Maybe they would get better turnouts like that because there are people that might want to go to Kennel Night but couldn't because it was a game night. It just sounds to me like they are focusing too much on those that don't want to go to the game instead of those that want some other entertainment throughout the week.
    When Union Board scheduled this event 2 months ago, they didn't look at the schedule (Just assumed all bball games were thurs and sat). Now he is just giving you a reason as to why it doesnt really matter if it was scheduled on the same day or not. I feel his pain, I am also sure that he didn't expect a personal letter that was written to another student would be published on a public message board. It is one thing to do this to school official's letters, but its a bit questionable to do this to your fellow students.

Closed Thread