Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: On-Campus Conflicts with the Game Wednesday Night

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

Re: On-Campus Conflicts with the Game Wednesday Night

Quote Originally Posted by steltz
    When Union Board scheduled this event 2 months ago, they didn't look at the schedule (Just assumed all bball games were thurs and sat). Now he is just giving you a reason as to why it doesnt really matter if it was scheduled on the same day or not. I feel his pain, I am also sure that he didn't expect a personal letter that was written to another student would be published on a public message board. It is one thing to do this to school official's letters, but its a bit questionable to do this to your fellow students.
    I left the letter annonymous, I would understand you telling me that, had i not taken his name off.

JFord

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

I wish I could speak for everyone else. Tech has attendance issues, but it could be worse. The union board doesn't bother me. Thursday night, 2700 fans were at the TAC and Saturday 3000 watched the game live. Does the union board ever have that kind of response for anything? Maybe the spring concert, but certainly not on a regular basis. In a small way, the intramural championships bother me because people who are interested in basketball both play and watch. However, this probably had an effect on 50 people tops. I don't know why these organizations would schedule conflicting events, but I can't speak for them.

I can speak for me.
    GO APE FOR TECH!

Champ steltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the rough steltz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jford
    I left the letter annonymous, I would understand you telling me that, had i not taken his name off.

JFord
    I appreciate you not putting his name, although I know who it is. You are posting a response to a letter that is representing the entire Union Board's collective feelings on this issue. I am on the board and I support Tech athletics in every way that I can. I was just defending the fact that the Special Events Chairman did not schedule this event on purpose to conflict with Tech Basketball.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

I don't think that anyone here is stating that anyone would schedule something conficling ON PURPOSE... The main thing that I got out of it that all these organizations are not paying attention to the sports schedule. since your on UB, can you let me (or us) know what events were going on for Monday and Tuesday?? That guys letter makes it sound like he had no other choice. If it was scheduled on purpose to confict with the basketball games, then I'd be hiring a hitman! :icon_wink

Also, why wouldn't all these organizations take advantage of the sports AS their social event. Think about it... the event is already planned out... it's paid for... you get in free... the only thing that you would have to do it post something saying "join us here at 6:00 we'll get rowdy and then head to the game at 6:30ish and get REALLY rowdy!" BCM (only mentioning this one because I know JFord and some others are involved in it) should do this for almost every basketball and football game. (I don't know the baseball schedule.. but it would be nice for that too, although that's not really a sport that can use rowdy fans.) On Mon, Tues, and Wed (normally), they could be getting a buzz going around and take an "AOR" (Area of Responsibility) and post some flyers there. Or buy 1 banner that says "Game tonight, meet at the BCM and we'll head over to the game" (You get my drift..:icon_razz) If we could just a few organizations to take different AOR's then the campus could be flooded with flyers and excitement about going to these things.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362
    BCM (only mentioning this one because I know JFord and some others are involved in it) should do this for almost every basketball and football game. (I don't know the baseball schedule.. but it would be nice for that too, although that's not really a sport that can use rowdy fans.) On Mon, Tues, and Wed (normally), they could be getting a buzz going around and take an "AOR" (Area of Responsibility) and post some flyers there. Or buy 1 banner that says "Game tonight, meet at the BCM and we'll head over to the game" (You get my drift..:icon_razz) If we could just a few organizations to take different AOR's then the campus could be flooded with flyers and excitement about going to these things.
    BINGO!!! Would someone is SGA get this going please.

Big Dog bdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg03
    I'm sure I'll get completely blasted by this, but maybe not all students want go to the basketball games. Jford, I know you stated that in your letter (re: giving students other options), but I really don't think it would be wise to promote making basketball the only thing students can do on any given night. I commend The Blue on their efforts, but I hope y'all understand that not everyone shares your love and support for the game and the team, and asking campus officials to reschedule events or schedule them around athletic events (and if they do it) is only going to anger the students who could care less about sports.

I doubt having a UB kennel night, which when I was at Tech maybe might have drawn 50 people, and besides, the people who go to those types of things most likely don't have any interest in going to a game. What about all the religious organizations who meet on Thursdays (or has that changed)? I remember TNT or Common Ground, whatever it's called now, used to be at 7 on Thursdays. Should we ask them to rearrange their schedules, too?

I'll admit, I'm not a baseball fan, never have and probably never will be. I think I attended two games in the four years I was there, not because I didn't want to support my team, but because I simply don't enjoy baseball.

I hope this isn't taken as negative feelings toward The Blue and it's efforts, but I just want to defend these organizations and say that not everyone is a sports enthusiast and asking other campus organizations to plan around athletic events is not the way to improve attendance and build spirit.
    They actually did change Commonground a few years back...might have been the year we made the run in the NIT....They changed commonground to Tuesday nights so students could attend the basketball games...And yes we should ask organizations to change events....Schedules are released early in the year and every organization should schedule around athletic events....I can remember this year some of my buddies leaving a football game early because they had to get ready for a fratenity party....And i would bet that all these frat boys complain about how tech sucks cause there is no one at the game, yet they are teh ones that sit out at the tailgate during the game and leave at halftime to get ready for a stupid party...i could go on and on about this, but it is good to see guys like "the blue" that care so much about student participation...you guys are doing a great job...keep it up

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

This is in response to UnionBoard reading the letter I sent him in the Tech Talk:

I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish. Email me back,
    refute my points, tell me that Union Board is out to get Tech
    Athletics, tell me that I don't support my student body, whatever. I
    tell you where your logic is flawed and you write into the paper.

Tell me about the Baseball team, tell me about the Lady Techsters. Why
    aren't you supporting them? Why are you only supporting a select few
    students on our campus? When did you decide that you were going to
    support them? What exactly do you do for the campus other than
    attending games? Why weren't you at the games before you made this
    organization? Are you getting any money for your organization? What
    are you doing with that money?

Please get back to me on this, I would like to know more about your
    organization and all that it's doing for our university.

Thanks,
    XXXX
    UB Special Events Chair

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

This is in response to UnionBoard reading the letter I sent him in the Tech Talk:

Thanks,
    XXXX
    UB Special Events Chair
    Hahahah...looks like jford pissed in this guys grapenuts.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

The fact is that the UB should be HELPING to get students to the game. Someone mentioned it earlier in this thread and they were right. They could be planning events FOR the games. Have events outside the TAC before the games - big parties usually work very well. There are all sorts of things you could do to make the game the main event for the night.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Thanks,
    XXXX
    UB Special Events Chair
    What the crap? Is he that stupid (or as Doc says stoopid) to think that you wouldn't support Tech athletics without the Blue? And why does he think you don't support Lady Techsters and Baseball? Jfo just let me know if you want me to go up to UB with you and crack some skulls.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

JFord... please either post or send his email address to me... I PROMISE to be nice, just want to give my two cents.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Give "the Blue" the money that UB has and attendance at ALL TECH events will skyrocket!

Somebody needs to impeach (aka skull drag) this dumbass!

2006 ESPN Mr. Bracket "T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice "T"'s Avatar

Hahaha, he's actually not a bad guy, *ashamed* I have only read the beginning and the end of the actual letter so I don't know if it came off edgy? I'll have to get out my techtalk and actually read it... But dude, I'd do anything to see the TAC full game in and game out!

"T"

Champ steltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the rough steltz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde
    Give "the Blue" the money that UB has and attendance at ALL TECH events will skyrocket!

Somebody needs to impeach (aka skull drag) this dumbass!
    As much as I respect you CHC this post is rediculous. This guy is a dumbass because he doesnt want some dude telling him he is doing a crappy job just because there was a conflict with one basketball game? He didn't do it on purpose and he is going to try not to do it again. There is something going on in sports 3 or 4 nights a week during this time of the year. It is really tough to schedule around everything, but he is doing his best.

Jford did you attend a single B-ball game before this year, I never saw you EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know you have even missed a few this year. Who do you think you are dude?? UB is doing the best they can to cure apathy on our campus as far as just getting people involved at Tech. I know that they arent doing exactaly what you want them to do, but you aren't the UB Special Events Chairman are you?

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steltz
    As much as I respect you CHC this post is rediculous. This guy is a dumbass because he doesnt want some dude telling him he is doing a crappy job just because there was a conflict with one basketball game? He didn't do it on purpose and he is going to try not to do it again. There is something going on in sports 3 or 4 nights a week during this time of the year. It is really tough to schedule around everything, but he is doing his best.

Jford did you attend a single B-ball game before this year, I never saw you EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know you have even missed a few this year. Who do you think you are dude?? UB is doing the best they can to cure apathy on our campus as far as just getting people involved at Tech. I know that they arent doing exactaly what you want them to do, but you aren't the UB Special Events Chairman are you?
    It's RIDICULOUS, not rediculous. Just got tired of everyone spelling it wrong all over the board...lol. So Steltz I am not just picking on you. I should post this on the "It's Millsap" thread.

I understand that not everyone likes basketball and that a lot of people at Tech don't care about going to sporting events besides football. I don't like women's basketball, not as exciting to me. Although, I do have a lot of respect for our team. Honestly, I am not much of a basketball fan, except when it comes to Tech basketball. But, on this subject both sides are somewhat right. Organizations or departments should not intentionally schedule events during sports events. I don't understand why athletics will allow to sporting events to be scheduled at the same time ( baseball and basketball). Stelz, you are also right, that with so many athletic events during this time of year, it is hard not to schedule something during one of them. So I say, DROP THE TOPIC and put all of your energy into getting people at the last home game.

Closed Thread