Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: On-Campus Conflicts with the Game Wednesday Night

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

Re: On-Campus Conflicts with the Game Wednesday Night

Ya'll sound like a bunch of women!!! Chill out!

Champ steltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the rough steltz's Avatar

Dude when you have a personal interest in the subject emotions flare.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steltz
    Dude when you have a personal interest in the subject emotions flare.
    I understand that but there are ways that UB could have been making sporting events the event on campus all year. Maybe sometime in the future on away games they can be shown in a public area to try and spur more fan support (even more hopeful we can get away games on tv). That would really work if we had a jumbotron in the TAC so we could pack in the place to watch away games. I know I am dreaming but that is the kind of big event that UB could be doing in the future if they start now to increase fan support.

Big Dog bulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of light bulldawg03's Avatar

I support Paul King 110%. I hope you all realize (and I"ve said this before) that some people are just not athletic fans and wanting all other organizations to reschedule their events to accommodate every athletic event is going overboard. Doing this will not make these students say "hrm,I think now I'll go to a basketball game." If they wanted to go to the basektball game, I think they'd go to the basketball game. A band performance, Kennel night or movie night is not hurting attendance. They obviously do not want to go.

Cut these organizations some slack. They are here to serve the entire student body, not to kow-tow to the athletic department. I don't see the athletic department checking with the music/theatre department or LTCA calendar to make sure they don't interfer with their performances. What about those students, who practice for hours a day to perform for what is usually a nearly empty theater (I can vouch for this; most of the wind ensemble concerts I performed in usually frew 50-100 people, tops) I can't lie... we get sometimes get students to come at the end of the quarter, just for extra credit, and they're usually loud or leave halfway through.

I'm trying to draw a parallel here. Just as much as the performing arts department on campus doesn't have students interested in what they do, you have students who couldn't care less about sports. It's not that I support UB, SGA and whoever else for "competing with athletic events, but congratulate them for actually providing students on campus with things to do, other than sit around their dorm room and play Doom.

I"m not trying to ruin anyone's dreams, I'm not trying to think backwards or negatively. I completely support the athletic department. I don't know how many weeks as editor of The Tech Talk that I devoted my column to encouraging and trying to increase fan support (if you don't believe me, please check out The Tech Talk archive at techtalk.latech.edu) Just please don't lose sight of the fact that Louisiana Tech is an academically focused school and we need to respect other organizations for doing their thing.

You gotta be careful with being overzealous and not turn people off by being so hardcore that it becomes fanatical. Sometimes the best of intentions can blow up in your face.
    Last edited by bulldawg03; 02-17-2006 at 10:05 PM.

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

Is it life or death? I have seen worse stuff happen to people in the past two weeks, and those people didn't complain as much as you have.

Puppy Paul King is an unknown

03: I wrote this out before I refreshed and saw you there. Thanks for understanding, you just made all of my points for me.

This is a pretty big deal. Union Board has had a bit of a revolution this year, putting on twice the events we did last year. An unfortunate side effect of this is the overlapping of events, which we have already discussed. I'm a twenty year old college student, UB is a huge part of my life, Tech sports is a huge part of your lives. Hell, the actor kids spend a ton of time working on their plays and things, I'm sure they'd love it if they could get some help with their things, too. We have a chamber choir that's really great, and I'm sure that they wish more folks would come to listen to them when they perform. You can't tell people what to do or what to enjoy, we all dig different things, and that's why we have different groups like The Blue and UB and the 80+ other organizations on campus, we all fit in, and we all do what we enjoy.

Is this even about the kennel night anymore?

I'm done here, I've made my points. Thanks to those that understand diversity and appreciate effort, and I hope that there is someday an organization that can do the things you guys dream of for these games, I just know that it's not going to be the Union Board Special Events committee this year, it's just not my thing. Do what you love, don't hate people for doing what they love.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

People will go to games if it is the event on campus. Why do you think we get so many girls at football games? The idea of diversity is a joke. College kids just want a place to hang out, meet people, and have fun. Those that don't like sporting events will more than likely find something other than UB do.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Juice it sounds like it would be better if you joined UB instead of us joining The Blue. And we are STILL waiting for jford's reponse to Paul. You and jford say you disagree when events are scheduled during athetic events. The BCM had Bible Study and Worship during the Techsters vs Mississippi State and Dawgs vs Ulala doubleheader. Jford is a member of that organization. Why couldn't they move that to another night of the week? The Wesley had a pizza party in my dorm during Paul Millsap's historic performance. On Campus ministries also have events that conflict with athletic events. And all of the churches had college Bible studies during the Boise game too. I have several friends that didn't go to the game for that reason. That is what takes people away from athletic events, not Kennel Night. Kennel Night is not spring show. There are actually over 150 student organizations and only 7 days in a week. It is hard to make basketball gamedays holy days. There will always be conflicts and people will do what they want to do.

Big Dog bulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of lightbulldawg03 is a glorious beacon of light bulldawg03's Avatar

Excellent post Blue!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

this could all be solved if we would implement a plan like Auburn's where organizations are DIRECTLY responsible for promotions and thus have a vested intrest in attendance. It's free to the athletic department...I've floated this to several people including Jim, but nobody seems to like the idea.

As for the blue/ub feud (is that even spelled right?)...both need to realize that both are trying to do their thing. Paul I know you think that it wasn't classy that jford posted your responses on the board, but he's fairly new here and the concept of a "public" board and all the ramifications of that aren't clear when you are first starting out. Believe me...I know from experience. i've seen a lack of class on both sides. I know that it's easy to get pissed when you're called out, but it's part of the territory. I've got friends on both sides of this discussion and I think after some rest, cooler heads will prevail. Both need to understand that both are trying to do what is right. The sad fact is, athletics isn't a priority at Louisiana Tech in any way (save BBB). Is Paul King responsible for that? No. I hope the Blue are successful. They're learning right now, but I honestly believe they've got Tech's best interest at heart...that's something I couldn't say 100% earlier. I've got no reason to believe Paul is any different...if he's alright by my boy matt, he's gotta be a decent guy.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE
    Juice it sounds like it would be better if you joined UB instead of us joining The Blue. And we are STILL waiting for jford's reponse to Paul. You and jford say you disagree when events are scheduled during athetic events. The BCM had Bible Study and Worship during the Techsters vs Mississippi State and Dawgs vs Ulala doubleheader. Jford is a member of that organization. Why couldn't they move that to another night of the week? The Wesley had a pizza party in my dorm during Paul Millsap's historic performance. On Campus ministries also have events that conflict with athletic events. And all of the churches had college Bible studies during the Boise game too. I have several friends that didn't go to the game for that reason. That is what takes people away from athletic events, not Kennel Night. Kennel Night is not spring show. There are actually over 150 student organizations and only 7 days in a week. It is hard to make basketball gamedays holy days. There will always be conflicts and people will do what they want to do.
    God comes first.....not athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE
    Juice it sounds like it would be better if you joined UB instead of us joining The Blue.
    Where do I sign up for dictator of UB?

2006 ESPN Mr. Bracket "T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice "T"'s Avatar

We just want to have you try to schedule events arround or in conjunction with sporting events. I'm not sure if you checked the basketball scheduled or not, so I won't assume anything. Just trying to present these wiews in a tactful way. The Sporting schedules are out pretty long in advance to the season, we'd just apreciate it if you took a look at them and kept that in mind. I know you can't always control everything, but we'd love for you to just do what you can.

Ford din't reply b/c he forwarded the message to me to reply. I haven't b/c of finals and such coming up, but I will reply to you in private this weekend.

"T"

Champ steltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the rough steltz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin
    I've got friends on both sides of this discussion and I think after some rest, cooler heads will prevail. Both need to understand that both are trying to do what is right.
    Am I your friend one of the sides (please say yes, please say yes)?????????????? Im not gonna get some rest, IM GOING OUT HOMIE!! PEACEE!!

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firedog
    God comes first.....not athletics.
    Just makin a point. I believe God should come first but.... To some people athletics is religion. To others UB is religion.

Closed Thread