+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tennis team is in shambles

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Re: Tennis team is in shambles

Quote Originally Posted by TECH88
    I'm curious, do we offer scholarships to tennis players?

I'm not a big JO fan, but in his defense I must say TitleIX is becoming, or should I say, has become a royal pain in the ass for all universities. I can assure you, this is not what the the Title IX proponents had envisioned. Schools like Tech will continue to struggle to support sports like this and if you factor in Katrina budget cuts it's damn near impossible to make it work.
    Actually, I think this is EXACTLY what Title IX proponents wanted - to strap financial obligations on universities to spend money one women's sports. In the end, I'm not sure how much it has gotten them what they wanted - 'cuz this sure isn't pretty!

Champ CaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really niceCaseyDawg is just really nice

But who can we get to coach the team for $1 dollar a year.

I would agree that a Women's Golf team would make more sense simply because of the resources at Squire Creek, but since this is the same AD that passed over the chance to start a Women's Golf Team for the chance to field a Bowling Team I have my doubts. Anyone know where they finished in the SWAC last year.

Yes it could be worse for the Tennis team, at least people know a team exist, while it is primarily the result of the way the team and former coach has been treated by our AD they do exist. The shame is that Title 9 was created for exactly this situation, needless to say it has had little positive effect on our Program. Most would probably agree that we what we put into it, we might as well not have a team. If you need a team just take 6 students each quarter from HPE.... and call them your team.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyDawg
    I would agree that a Women's Golf team would make more sense simply because of the resources at Squire Creek, but since this is the same AD that passed over the chance to start a Women's Golf Team for the chance to field a Bowling Team I have my doubts.
    I may be giving Oakes too much credit, but I believe he really replaced tennis with bowling. He knew he eventually was going to add golf, but added bowling first to make it look like tennis was replaced with golf instead of bowling.

If that was his plan, it certainly worked.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    I may be giving Oakes too much credit, but I believe he really replaced tennis with bowling. He knew he eventually was going to add golf, but added bowling first to make it look like tennis was replaced with golf instead of bowling.

If that was his plan, it certainly worked.
    bingo.

theprofessor

Big Dog jlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the rough jlam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    You may have news. Did somebody quit other than Westbrook? No. 6 is the girl from Arkansas, isn't she? Did she quit?

What is your opinion of the "volunteer" assistant?
    Yeah....Katie Westbrook quit a couple of months ago....but just recently another girl named Heidi (i cant remember her last name, i only met her once or twice) quit the team. Im not sure of her reasons, but that leaves the team playing with 5 which means that they forfeit at least one, basically two, points right off the bat. And Noel, the girl from El Dorado, is still on the team (she should have been #6, but i guess they stacked her up to #4......poor girl had to play the #4 against LSU.....from what i was told she only won like 4 points the whole match and those were on unforced errors from the other girl).

Big Dog jlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the rough jlam's Avatar

By the way Soonerdawg....your pic is rockin

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Having walkons defeats the purpose of title 9 if I'm not mistaken. Title 9 was created to force universities to have equity in scholarships between male and female athletes. It's not about the number of female teams per say as it is the number of female athletes on scholarship. Of course, maddawg can go into depth on this as this is a topic that is near and dear to his heart.

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    Having walkons defeats the purpose of title 9 if I'm not mistaken. Title 9 was created to force universities to have equity in scholarships between male and female athletes. It's not about the number of female teams per say as it is the number of female athletes on scholarship. Of course, maddawg can go into depth on this as this is a topic that is near and dear to his heart.
    Exactly. This is insane. What can we do as alum? I don't think much.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganDawg
    Exactly. This is insane. What can we do as alum? I don't think much.
    Sure, you can fund a Title IX endowed scholarship.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde
    Only if Oakes used the savings for tennis, chances are, he won't.

Bulldog CENTEXDOG seems to have something between the earsCENTEXDOG seems to have something between the earsCENTEXDOG seems to have something between the earsCENTEXDOG seems to have something between the earsCENTEXDOG seems to have something between the earsCENTEXDOG seems to have something between the ears

the stupidity of starting a bowling team instead of a golf team is enormous. He has screwed tennis since the late 90's when my daughter got there. I've reported the lies and screw job's over the last 2 years when she did not have to worry about retrobution. to drop tennis instead of bowling would just add to the proof of stupidity. there was no katrina when he did any of the dozens of things against tennis girls in the past. Question his judgement and you see what this person's character is. you can not afford to have people in power that can not be wrong and retaliate when you question them.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75
    Only if Oakes used the savings for tennis, chances are, he won't.
    I offered a suggestion, and it is a good one.
    Last edited by Cool Hand Clyde; 02-15-2006 at 01:29 AM.

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde
    Wanna go in together and raise these funds for tennis?

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

I dated a tennis player a couple of years ago. From what I understand, the coach that was there before Terrance (name eludes me) was very good. Very good instructor and easy to talk to. However, he also moonlighted (sunlighted?) as the instructor out at SC, and apparently Oakes gave him a significant cut in salary because of it, so he walked. Terrance stepped in (admittedly maybe a bit over his head) and did the best he could.

Apparently now its really gone downhill. Great group of girls too...I'm pretty upset about the whole thing.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire
    I dated a tennis player a couple of years ago. From what I understand, the coach that was there before Terrance (name eludes me) was very good. Very good instructor and easy to talk to. However, he also moonlighted (sunlighted?) as the instructor out at SC, and apparently Oakes gave him a significant cut in salary because of it, so he walked. Terrance stepped in (admittedly maybe a bit over his head) and did the best he could.

Apparently now its really gone downhill. Great group of girls too...I'm pretty upset about the whole thing.
    Actually, I think the team was more successful under Terrance than they were under Greg. I like them both, but I'm just pointing out bottom line. Terrance came very close to a 500 season last year; one match from it I believe.

+ Reply to Thread