+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LA Tech to the LSU System?

Big Dog dj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant future

LA Tech to the LSU System?

Found this on the ULL website. It is an article from the Times Picayune about UNO moving to the UL system. One suggestion was swapping Tech for UNO and placing LSUS under the Tech umbrella.

20334.10 in reply to 20334.1 Rumor in the Times Picayune has the LSU system trading UNO for LaTech and merging LSU-S into LaTech.
    http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/metro/index.ssf?/base/news-13/1139643460192870.xml

"A consulting firm hired by the LSU System, Eva Klein & Associates, raised the possibility of merging the Shreveport institutions with Louisiana Tech University, so as to tap the Ruston university's strong engineering and technology programs.
    There has been speculation that if Louisiana Tech were pulled into the LSU system, now featuring 10 campus entities around the state, UNO could take the Ruston university's place in the eight-campus University of Louisiana System. But Commissioner of Higher Education Joseph Savoie said there has been no talk of a tradeoff. "

Could help us politically and finanically to be apart of their cash cow system, but it would be tough to swallow my dislike of anything LSU.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: LA Tech to the LSU System?

I'm honored the Times-Picayune even acknowledges Tech exists and is reporting the fact we have strong engineering and technology programs. Guess they forgot that it's NANO-technology, but that's a small :icon_wink detail.

I'd love to be a bug in the telephones of Reneau, Shaw (group), Sen. Barham, governor's office, et al, cuz this is the SECOND instance of this Shreveport merger talk being reported (first the Klein Report comments from Shreveport, now the Picayune).

I'm leary if LSU officials are pushing this . . . you know, if Tech were under their umbrella, LSU would be able to control our every step, academic or athletically.

We have lots of momentum going right now in our favor . . . how do we handle this "rumored" bump in the road?
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Definitely a mixed bag there. I think it would allow us more freedom in growing our marquis programs (engineering & technology) without arousing the ire and competition of those who maniacally favor LSU. But I doubt the benefits would be that great; we'd still be getting the scraps from their table, we'd just be closer to the table.

And this does nothing to address the fact that there is no apparent need for more than one university system in La.

Champ rphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the roughrphdawg is a jewel in the rough rphdawg's Avatar

UAB certainly gets the scraps from UA but the alabama school system does pour money into UAB. It seems like every month they are building more buildings. You should see there new intramural center. IT is freaking huge.

UA also helped UAB get into CUSA maybe LSU would do the same for us

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rphdawg
    UAB certainly gets the scraps from UA but the alabama school system does pour money into UAB. It seems like every month they are building more buildings. You should see there new intramural center. IT is freaking huge.

And their USA credentials were enhanced by a good basketball program started by Bartow.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

And they also have one of the top medical schools in the country. It ain't all charity, my friend...

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

This is like making a deal with the devil, gotta have the contract JUST RIGHT or Tech would find themselves with somebody down in Baton Rouge making all our athletic and academic planning decisions. Despite alot of the bitching about him, Reneau's pretty slick I think he'd be able to pull the old switcheroo and have Tech coming out with a good deal more funding with little to no involvement. I think it's funny that the Chairman of the LSU system board's last name is Boudreaux.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg
    This is like making a deal with the devil, gotta have the contract JUST RIGHT or Tech would find themselves with somebody down in Baton Rouge making all our athletic and academic planning decisions. Despite alot of the bitching about him, Reneau's pretty slick I think he'd be able to pull the old switcheroo and have Tech coming out with a good deal more funding with little to no involvement. I think it's funny that the Chairman of the LSU system board's last name is Boudreaux.
    I expect there to be some sort of tie between our Bio-medical engineering and nanotechnology curriculum with the lsu medical school in Shreveport. It's going to be interesting since Reneau started the first bio-medical engineering curriculum and the nanotechology curriculum. There are probably some lsu peoople upset that Tech got the 10.5 million bio-medical engineering building. That would work real well with a medical school. This could be a real power struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by DONW
    I expect there to be some sort of tie between our Bio-medical engineering and nanotechnology curriculum with the lsu medical school in Shreveport. It's going to be interesting since Reneau started the first bio-medical engineering curriculum and the nanotechology curriculum. There are probably some lsu peoople upset that Tech got the 10.5 million bio-medical engineering building. That would work real well with a medical school. This could be a real power struggle.
    We already offer a joint MD/PhD with LSU-HSC-S in medicine and biomed eng.

Varsity Bulldog Mr. Pimp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMr. Pimp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMr. Pimp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMr. Pimp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMr. Pimp Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeMr. Pimp Ultimate jerk and not worth your time Mr. Pimp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rphdawg
    That we be a cold day in hell. LSU does not want Tech Athletics to succeed. UAB got their football in CUSA because all their other sports were already in the conference.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Interesting stuff. Just win!

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Personally, I feel this would be a good move for us. I realize a lot of people are paranoid about LSU and think nothing but the worst if we ever get in bed w/ those people. I can assure you, LSU is not out to destroy La Tech, they know we have way too much to offer. My main concern right now is money, and the closer we can get to the bargaining table and legislators the better off Tech will be.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pimp
    That we be a cold day in hell. LSU does not want Tech Athletics to succeed. UAB got their football in CUSA because all their other sports were already in the conference.
    LSU really doesn't care about TECH athletics. I am for anything that could increase our funding and exposure.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

I think it would probably put us on a better-oiled political carousel, but I'm afraid we'd just be trading one set of frustrations for a slightly different one.

To me the more immediate goal should be to consolidate our position in N La via Shreveport. That seems to involve strategic partnerships with LSUS. If the only way for that to move forward is for Tech to come under the LSU umbrella, so be it.

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96
    I think it would probably put us on a better-oiled political carousel, but I'm afraid we'd just be trading one set of frustrations for a slightly different one.

To me the more immediate goal should be to consolidate our position in N La via Shreveport. That seems to involve strategic partnerships with LSUS. If the only way for that to move forward is for Tech to come under the LSU umbrella, so be it.
    I got to agree. If it occurs (more pressure this time due to fiancial status of the state), it will lock up Shreveport for us. It would be the same as the UL system, we just keep our name and pull LSUS in as LA Tech-Shreveport. Or even better, combine LA Tech-Shreveport with LA Tech-Barksdale and call it Louisiana Tech West. Saves money in administration, Grabs ahold of Shreveport and makes it where nlulm fans support us because we are in the LSU system.

+ Reply to Thread