+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LA Tech to the LSU System?

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Re: LA Tech to the LSU System?

Quote Originally Posted by atobulldog
    I got to agree. If it occurs (more pressure this time due to fiancial status of the state), it will lock up Shreveport for us. It would be the same as the UL system, we just keep our name and pull LSUS in as LA Tech-Shreveport. Or even better, combine LA Tech-Shreveport with LA Tech-Barksdale and call it Louisiana Tech West. Saves money in administration, Grabs ahold of Shreveport and makes it where nlulm fans support us because we are in the LSU system.
    I followed your logic for a while, but I can't imagine ANYTHING that would make NLULM fans support us. :icon_wink Heck, they don't even support themselves, why would they support us?

But, thanks for noting your agreement. Bringing LSUS under the Tech umbrella (even if it means bringing Tech into the LSU system) makes good economic and political sense. Alas, therein lies the flaw...

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96
    Alas, therein lies the flaw...

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96
    :icon_wink Heck, they don't even support themselves, why would they support us?

But, thanks for noting your agreement. Bringing LSUS under the Tech umbrella (even if it means bringing Tech into the LSU system) makes good economic and political sense. Alas, therein lies the flaw...
    They don't support themselves, yes; they support LSU. Us being in the LSU system would garner some of their support, as a portion of the proceeds get divided I would guess. Small, I know but the irony would be huge.

And yes the economic and political sense is what most people just seem to lack in BR. It may end up however that their hands will be tied given the current situation. One can hope.

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

IMO, good for academics, but might be bad for athletics.

Champ tylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the rough tylerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dj95
    Found this on the ULL website. It is an article from the Times Picayune about UNO moving to the UL system. One suggestion was swapping Tech for UNO and placing LSUS under the Tech umbrella.

20334.10 in reply to 20334.1 Rumor in the Times Picayune has the LSU system trading UNO for LaTech and merging LSU-S into LaTech.
    http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/metro/index.ssf?/base/news-13/1139643460192870.xml

"A consulting firm hired by the LSU System, Eva Klein & Associates, raised the possibility of merging the Shreveport institutions with Louisiana Tech University, so as to tap the Ruston university's strong engineering and technology programs.
    There has been speculation that if Louisiana Tech were pulled into the LSU system, now featuring 10 campus entities around the state, UNO could take the Ruston university's place in the eight-campus University of Louisiana System. But Commissioner of Higher Education Joseph Savoie said there has been no talk of a tradeoff. "

Could help us politically and finanically to be apart of their cash cow system, but it would be tough to swallow my dislike of anything LSU.

It would make great sense to do this. Merge the LSUS campus and medical center under the LaTech administration and move LaTech into the LSU system. It would cut some much needed cost out of the education system.

Tech would have a medical school to tie many of their programs together......it would be great for the state. It would be great for North Louisiana and it would be great for Tech. I only hope it is done and done right.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

As far as athletics, I can see how it might threaten some so-called "minor" sports, especially those in which we are not as competitive. There's no way that they could get to basketball (men or women) or football, however. Just like if LSUS were brought under the Tech umbrella, it would be very unlikely that LSUS would have to give up its athletic programs, especially since their basketball team is actually competitive.

And ato, I see where you are coming from, but I doubt that most nlulm fans who cheer for La A&M would even be aware of the change, if it is made, much less would they start supporting our athletics. I can see where maybe a handful more parents in the twin cities might send their kids to Tech "since it's part of LSU," but unless we change our colors to purple and yeller and call ourselves the Tigers, we're not going to trick any of them into supporting our athletics, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by tylerdawg
    Tech would have a medical school to tie many of their programs together......it would be great for the state. It would be great for North Louisiana and it would be great for Tech. I only hope it is done and done right.
    Just for the record...again...Tech already offers a joint MD/PhD with LSU-HSC-S. This proves, at a "nano" level, so to speak, that a) it makes really good sense for the schools to become one and b) that such an arrangement actually works fine. Beleive me, if there were ANY problems with this program, we would have heard ALL about it in the Shreveport press. The fact that this great opportunity is still on the down low suggests that it works well and that more tie-ins need to be made, hopefully including the ultimate merging of the schools.

Champ bad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to allbad_man is a name known to all bad_man's Avatar

Screw joining the LSU system! If i wanted to go to an LSU school, I would have. I went to Tech because it was Louisiana Tech, not UL-Ruston, or LSU-Ruston,...Let Tech keep its own identity. We are doing pretty well so far.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atobulldog
    Us being in the LSU system would garner some of their support, as a portion of the proceeds get divided I would guess. Small, I know but the irony would be huge.
    Would this mean part of the proceeds from merchandising is split amoung the LSU System. Ooo Lord, we would never be able to stop people from wearing lsu crap on campus or to games, could hear it now "I am supporting Tech by buying this." ARGH!!! :bigcry:

I don't think anybody wants to change Tech's name, just its administrative setting. If it did go through, there should be no reason to change our name, but there is a good case for changing LSUS and LSU-HSC-S to reflect their relationship with Tech.

I can almost guarantee that as long as folks like Reneau, Jarrell, Davison, et al, have a hand in any of this, changing our name would be an absolute dealbreaker.

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg
    Would this mean part of the proceeds from merchandising is split amoung the LSU System. Ooo Lord, we would never be able to stop people from wearing lsu crap on campus or to games, could hear it now "I am supporting Tech by buying this." ARGH!!! :bigcry:
    Slow down, Germ. I don't know how the money gets spread around, but the people you are talking about are gonna wear LSU crap no matter what system we are in. If they pull out a moronic argument like that, kidney punch them and tell them you are "supporting" healthcare reform initiatives.

Varsity Bulldog Gunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her gameGunslinger is on top of his/her game Gunslinger's Avatar

Brian96 is right on. The reality is that this would make a lot of sense for us; however, we are in Louisiana and common-sense is rarely used.

We would have our own identity just as we have now. For instance, just because we are currently in the Univerisity of Louisiana System, we are not known or considered UL-R.

My thoughts are that this would further seperate us from the likes of ULM, ULL, Northwestern, etc. Also, I would hope that this would be the BEGINNING of a bigger change. I would love to see Tech add these specialties in the furture:

4 Year Nursing Program
    Medical School Affiliation
    Vet School
    Pharm School
    Law School

If you want to raise money, have degrees that lead to High Net Worth careers. Just think about how many established law firms would contribute money to the university if we were developing quality lawyers. Currently, there is no business incentive to give to Tech. Same goes with hospitals...if great doctors and nurses were coming out of our programs, you better believe that Schumpert, Willis-Knighton, St. Francis, etc would be corporate sponsors of athletics. They would also have endowed professorships, research monies, etc.

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

Tech has ties already to a MD/PhD program, but I don't think we would ever get a Law School in Ruston. Vet School would be a long shot, but I think it would be closer than a Law School.

Gunslinger has one approach that shows how this relationship could benefit the system and the state. I think joining the LSU system would offer an opportunity to further intensify our engineering and technological programs. The tie-in we currently have with the joint MD-PhD program demonstrates how this can work.

A law school might bring in money down the road, but we run into branding issues with the whole TECH identity and a pure liberal art like law. BUT, if we were in the LSU system, we could tie in to their programs, for example with a joint JD/PhD in patent law/biomed or something like that. Just brainstorming.

I think the bottom line is that Tech has great name recognition at the national level, and north La could benefit from that to enhance the quality of and investment in higher education in this part of the state. Tech, on the other hand, could benefit from a stronger relationship with and bigger presence in N La's biggest metropolitan area.

And don't forget, we already have some fantastic physicians and lawyers who graduated from Tech. Hopefully they can keep working to get more investment from their respective firms into our programs.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

This would be THE MOST HORRIBLE SITUATION for Tech EVER! Period! Talk about control! If you are satisfied with where we are now in athletics, then fine. This would ensure that we would NEVER EVER EVER be competitive with lsu in ANYTHING.

TECH IS TECH! Don't EVER sell out!

D.R. should be savy enough to get the lsus program without selling out Tech. Don't be fooled by this. If you ever want to be more than we are now, you will NOT want to go under lsu.

+ Reply to Thread