+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga's Brokeback Mountain

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Post Gonzaga's Brokeback Mountain

Gonzaga Students Asked To Stop Yelling 'Brokeback Mountain'
    http://www.kirotv.com/sports/7011667...sea&psp=sports

SPOKANE, Wash. -- Fans of No. 5 Gonzaga have been asked to stop yelling "Brokeback Mountain" at opposing players.

The reference to the recent movie about homosexual cowboys was chanted by some fans during Monday's game against Saint Mary's, and is apparently intended to suggest an opposing player is gay.

The chants were the subject of several classroom discussions over the past week, and the faculty advisers for the Kennel Club booster group urged students this week to avoid "inappropriate chants" during the Bulldogs' Saturday game against Stanford, which was nationally televised on ESPN.

"We implore the students of the Kennel Club to show the nation this weekend what makes Gonzaga different," Kennel Club advisers David Lindsay and Aaron Hill wrote in a letter in the student newspaper, the Bulletin. "We challenge the students of the Kennel Club to exhibit the class, the creativeness and the competitive drive that has become a foundation of this great university."

Mark Alfino, a professor of philosophy at Gonzaga, said the matter had been widely discussed by faculty and students.

"Many faculty members have brought up the discussion in their classes," he said. "They find none of the students have been comfortable with the chant, and that's a good sign."

Ryan Olson, the president of Helping Educate Regarding Orientation, a gay-straight alliance on campus, said the chants are just the latest incident that shows GU is struggling to make gays and lesbians welcome on campus.

In a letter to the Bulletin, the HERO membership wrote, "This is not even remotely the first time that Kennel Club chanters have chanted homophobic phrases at basketball games."

"A lot of people in the Kennel Club say it wasn't them" that chanted "Brokeback Mountain," Olson said. "But there's something to be said about apathy as well. Students didn't stop people from saying it."

In Friday's Bulletin, senior Callie Monroe wrote a column calling the chants a case of "outright discrimination."

"Imagine yourself as a homosexual individual in the midst of your peers, classmates and friends during this 'Brokeback Mountain' cheer," Monroe wrote. "I simply do not understand how a student body claiming to live by Jesuit principles of acceptance and respect for all can allow an incident like this to happen and remain silent."

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Re: Gonzaga's Brokeback Mountain

HAHA! Awesome I wish we had thought of it first.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

WHO CARES!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

I think we should do it tomorrow night....

JFord

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

With another "most outrageous fan" contest we better have something big planned.

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

I won't be there, but y'all should do that, stupid paper due Thursday.

JFord

Champ steltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the rough steltz's Avatar

i have a paper due thursday and i am writing one now at 4:06 AM.. i will be there

I will yell broke back mountain for you

2006 ESPN Mr. Bracket "T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice "T"'s Avatar

I'm with you Steltz... 49 essay questions due Thurs and 1 Bball game! Brokeback here I come!

"T"

Champ steltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the rough steltz's Avatar

Papers and lab reports to grade, 25 page business plan and poster due tomorrow at 5, 20 page technical report due for technical writing on thursday. 3 hour lab wednesday and thursday. not to mention applications, senior design and senior laboratory reports, classes, meetings, and women.

Life is tough...haha

And lets not even talk about next week.

I respect that T B-ball is number one on the priority list I will stay up two hours later on any given night if I get to watch a basketball game.

My buddy and I are currently on a 30 minute rotation. He writes for 30 then I write for 30. Trying to keep the brains clear. Hopefully we will be done by noon .

Talk to yall in 30 minutes haha.

2006 ESPN Mr. Bracket "T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice "T"'s Avatar

Sadly I'm still up, but I'm calling it quits for the night... I'll see you tomorrow at the the game! Good luck and God's speed!

"T"

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you don't do this. I agree with all chants and yells to liven the place up and, even, get into the skin of opposing teams. You guys do a great job with that, but this can be offensive to a whole group of people - including many Tech fans.

I am sure I will be blasted for this post, but that is OK. I have never backed away from controversy.:icon_wink
    Last edited by "T"; 02-15-2006 at 05:50 AM.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

With as P.C. as our future is looking, i'd love to give a big FU~Q to the P.C. crowd! MY generation has some REALLY thin skin that needs a good jolt occasionally.
    Last edited by DocMarvin362; 02-15-2006 at 06:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    I hope you don't do this. I agree with all chants and yells to liven the place up and, even, get into the skin of opposing teams. You guys do a great job with that, but this can be offensive to a whole group of people - including many Tech fans.

I am sure I will be blasted for this post, but that is OK. I have never backed away from controversy.:icon_wink
    My plasma blaster is in the shop right now getting recharged, but I'll get you one of these days..:-) We'll see how the evening goes tomorrow.... *halo*

"T"

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by T
    My plasma blaster is in the shop right now getting recharged, but I'll get you one of these days..:-) We'll see how the evening goes tomorrow.... *halo*

"T"
    Just speaking up for what I think is right.

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

ok well come up with something besides Brokeback Mountain....It's been done.

+ Reply to Thread