+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anybody see this?

Big Dog Dawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to beholdDawgbert is a splendid one to behold Dawgbert's Avatar

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Anybody see this?

Very cool! I really think that Tech is on the verge of really making a name for itself for the common person. We already have a great name among techies (people that love technology, not people that went to Tech).

Varsity Bulldog Appledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really nice Appledog's Avatar

Dr. R and Dr. Guice (and I am sure others that I do not know about) have been putting together a nice vision for Tech, and this in the long run is also going to benefit N. La.

I know we have issues on upgrading our sports facilities, but when you think about the competition in the academic arena, particulalry high end technical areas these things take a lot of investment (including attention and time).

The best part of the article is Tech receiving 40k shares - now that's the way to go.

Now a big question is:
    If we "take over" some LSU properties in S'port (and become part of the LSU system) are we going to get more money for Ruston and thereby accelerate the vision? Or will LSU and the board drag down our momentum?

Having grown up in La., personally I do not trust the LSU board and the political folks in BR to do the right things for Tech (when competing decisions have to be made between Tech and LSU).

However, if we were to "take over" the schools in S'port, there may be some real opportunity to grow Tech in some new directions that are hard to do now with our current funding (and politics) with all the other schools in University system. And we already have a lot of alumni (and Barksdale) in S'port.

Who knows, maybe in 10 years we play LSU A&M in S'port every year - "The Red River Shoot Out" (like Tx and OU) - The stadium full 1/2 purple and gold, and 1/2 red and blue.
    Last edited by Appledog; 02-22-2006 at 12:23 PM.

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

i would settle for baton rouge one year, shreveport the next. just play us and not ulx.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Appledog
    Dr. R and Dr. Guice (and I am sure others that I do not know about) have been putting together a nice vision for Tech, and this in the long run is also going to benefit N. La.

I know we have issues on upgrading our sports facilities, but when you think about the competition in the academic arena, particulalry high end technical areas these things take a lot of investment (including attention and time).

The best part of the article is Tech receiving 40k shares - now that's the way to go.

Now a big question is:
    If we "take over" some LSU properties in S'port (and become part of the LSU system) are we going to get more money for Ruston and thereby accelerate the vision? Or will LSU and the board drag down our momentum?

Having grown up in La., personally I do not trust the LSU board and the political folks in BR to do the right things for Tech (when competing decisions have to be made between Tech and LSU).

However, if we were to "take over" the schools in S'port, there may be some real opportunity to grow Tech in some new directions that are hard to do now with our current funding (and politics) with all the other schools in University system. And we already have a lot of alumni (and Barksdale) in S'port.

Who knows, maybe in 10 years we play our sister institution LSU in S'port every year - "The Red River Shoot Out" (like Tx and OU) - The stadium full 1/2 purple and gold, and 1/2 red and blue.
    Not to change this thread from what it was meant, but I can guarantee you that if Tech were to be part of the LSU system, we would lose whatever momentum we had. Anybody else find it odd that these "rumors" have been afloat for years, but only when Tech reaches the same academic level as LSU do these "rumors" gain footing. Look for LSU to somehow take over whatever progress Dr. R. and Dr. G. have made and for Tech to be reduced to little more than a UNO.

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

Now a big question is:

Who knows, maybe in 10 years we play our sister institution LSU in S'port every year - "The Red River Shoot Out" (like Tx and OU) - The stadium full 1/2 purple and gold, and 1/2 red and blue.
    I say if we merge with LSUS, they don't get a football. Why would you want them to have one?

Varsity Bulldog Appledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really niceAppledog is just really nice Appledog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firedog
    I say if we merge with LSUS, they don't get a football. Why would you want them to have one?
    I meant the tiggers from BR. (i'll correct it)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    Not to change this thread from what it was meant, but I can guarantee you that if Tech were to be part of the LSU system, we would lose whatever momentum we had. Anybody else find it odd that these "rumors" have been afloat for years, but only when Tech reaches the same academic level as LSU do these "rumors" gain footing. Look for LSU to somehow take over whatever progress Dr. R. and Dr. G. have made and for Tech to be reduced to little more than a UNO.

I trust Dr. R has not spent the last 20+ years trying to build something at LaTech only to have LSU BR come in and mess it up. So I feel sure he will be looking at any proposal very carefully.

However, if the bad side of LSU/La Politics comes into play then Tech is going to need all our help to make sure that any deal is also good for Tech.

I guess we all need to keep our ears to the ground (including the Alumni Foundation) just in case this thing becomes real - we need info early. LSU carries a lot more political clout than we do, so we need to be part of the discussion when it is happening, not after the fact.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I trust Dr. R has not spent the last 20+ years trying to build something at LaTech only to have LSU BR come in and mess it up. So I feel sure he will be looking at any proposal very carefully.

However, if the bad side of LSU/La Politics comes into play then Tech is going to need all our help to make sure that any deal is also good for Tech.

I guess we all need to keep our ears to the ground (including the Alumni Foundation) just in case this thing becomes real - we need info early. LSU carries a lot more political clout than we do, so we need to be part of the discussion when it is happening, not after the fact.
    Unfortunately, DR can't do anything about it if the powers that be want it to happen.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Now i'm curious... does Tech even have a say so in whether we go to the LSpoo system?? Is this a UL and LSpoo decision??

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362
    Now i'm curious... does Tech even have a say so in whether we go to the LSpoo system?? Is this a UL and LSpoo decision??
    I imagine it will come down to state government...what that means is...whatever LSU wants, LSU gets. The UL system would like to think differently, but that's the way it is.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

For all I know Dr. R. may be in favor of becoming part of the LSU system and believes this to be a great opportunity for Tech in the long run.

Part of my thinking is that a lot of people have been working hard at Tech (including Alumni) over many years to get where we are (not withstanding challenges for resources from the University system) and therefore believe if this is not a good deal for Tech, then we will have a fight on our hands.

If Tech does not want the deal, Dr. R. may not be in the best position to "duke it out" alone, given his position serving under the University system.

So, if this proposal becomes real (and does not improve our future opportunities), then the sooner we know the better the odds of trying to do something about it.
    Last edited by Appledog; 02-22-2006 at 03:54 PM.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

I may be looking at this too simplistically but it seems that if Tech is a part of the LSU system, then it makes it much easier for LSU to just take what is good at Tech. I have heard rumors through the years of LSU trying to steal Tech programs. Some of those attempts have been as simple as just outright offering more money to the individuals running the programs. I am very skeptical of the intentions of LSU in this proposal.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread