+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TECH/LSU Merger talks?

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

TECH/LSU Merger talks?

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/apps/...23/1060/NEWS01

Edited to removed copyrighted text.

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

Re: TECH/LSU Merger talks?

I want more information on this before a make a judgement, but I like the fact that the Times put in the paper we are on the same tier as LSU. (Even though we all know we're better.

Reneau said ........... But he said Tech's name is more desirable after reaching a great doctoral research level and being named to the same academic tier as LSU-Baton Rouge by "U.S. News & World Report" last year.

Varsity Bulldog DustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by LITEMAN
    I want more information on this before a make a judgement, but I like the fact that the Times put in the paper we are on the same tier as LSU. (Even though we all know we're better.

Reneau said ........... But he said Tech's name is more desirable after reaching a great doctoral research level and being named to the same academic tier as LSU-Baton Rouge by "U.S. News & World Report" last year.
    Agreed on all points. I would like to know a lot more before I can draw any legitimate conclusions (not that any of the decision-makers will ask me what I think). While it is true that Tech is "hamstrung" by being under the UL system (the "Law of the Lid" states that an organization can never exceed its level of leadership), I am still very cautious about some type of official merger with LSU. Yes, it could mean more money, BUT, the old saying, "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer" keeps coming to mind. Frankly, I don't think LSU offers to "marry" Tech unless we have something they want. They are not in this for the benevolence of it. Now, if what they want, and what we need can work in tandem, then fine, but in the corporate world, this kind of arrangement always costs the "smaller" party its autonomy and personal power.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

I don't really understand this whole situation. Someone please fill me in on what this really means for Tech. If the merge happens will we notice any changes? Would athletics benefit at all? Would we change our name? I'm completely lost.

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters
    I don't really understand this whole situation. Someone please fill me in on what this really means for Tech. If the merge happens will we notice any changes? Would athletics benefit at all? Would we change our name? I'm completely lost.
    I think any info write now would only be spectulations.(sp?) And we did that already.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Since I graduated from Louisiana Polytechnic Institute, they could change the name to Louisiana Polytechnic Institute and State University like Virginia Tech's name. Just so we keep our name and we don't become LSU-Ruston, I don't see a problem with it. UNO was originally LSU-NO.

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DONW
    Since I graduated from Louisiana Polytechnic Institute, they could change the name to Louisiana Polytechnic Institute and State University like Virginia Tech's name. Just so we keep our name and we don't become LSU-Ruston, I don't see a problem with it. UNO was originally LSU-NO.
    I see your point, but I wouldn't want to be L-PIS-U either.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Makes me nervous as Hell!

Varsity Bulldog DustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    Makes me nervous as Hell!
    "You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

"Barham, an LSU graduate and supporter, said his concern is the risk of losing accreditation for programs when universities switch systems and, oftentimes, it does not save money. Accreditation is the reason the University of Louisiana at Monroe was never at serious risk of losing pharmacy to LSU, he said."

I don't like the potential that the quote above might imply! My fear is that LSU wants something from Tech and this is the easiest way to take it. I heard some rumors a few years ago that may or may not be true, that LSU tried to take Tech's engineering department by having it legislated at the state capitol. That alone plus the quote above makes me real nervous. Above all, Tech should retain its name!
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog
    "Barham, an LSU graduate and supporter, said his concern is the risk of losing accreditation for programs when universities switch systems and, oftentimes, it does not save money. Accreditation is the reason the University of Louisiana at Monroe was never at serious risk of losing pharmacy to LSU, he said."

I don't like the potential that the quote above might imply! My fear is that LSU wants something from Tech and this is the easiest way to take it. I heard some rumors a few years ago that may or may not be true, that LSU tried to take Tech's engineering department by having it legislated at the state capitol. That alone plus the quote above makes me real nervous. Above all, Tech should retain its name!
    I think you are really onto something. Everyone needs to keep in mind that LSU is supposed to be the flagship university, according to the Legislature, and when they say flagship, they don't mean flagship of the LSU system. They mean the whole state. Now that Tech is on the same level academically, they can no longer lay claim to that title. So whats the easiest way to remedy that situation without looking like they're out to get us? Simply annex us and then weaken us by attrition.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    I think you are really onto something. Everyone needs to keep in mind that LSU is supposed to be the flagship university, according to the Legislature, and when they say flagship, they don't mean flagship of the LSU system. They mean the whole state. Now that Tech is on the same level academically, they can no longer lay claim to that title. So whats the easiest way to remedy that situation without looking like they're out to get us? Simply annex us and then weaken us by attrition.
    That is exactly what I think is going on. You can't get too high on the food chain in Louisiana or you are going to get eaten. They do not like any university gaining ground.

Believe me, folks. lsu (thru our legislatures) don't give no charity.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    That is exactly what I think is going on. You can't get too high on the food chain in Louisiana or you are going to get eaten. They do not like any university gaining ground.

Believe me, folks. lsu (thru our legislatures) don't give no charity.
    I'm glad someone else is thinking along those lines, even if it is you. :icon_wink I was beginning to worry that all this crystal meth was making me paranoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    I'm glad someone else is thinking along those lines, even if it is you. :icon_wink I was beginning to worry that all this crystal meth was making me paranoid.

awww Come on, Dirty. We usually agree on all but one section of this board. :icon_wink

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

Barham is a died-in-the-wool supporter of Northeast Center, otherwise known as the NEW Northeast Center "Pussies!" I do not trust anything he says or anything he does under the guise of "it would be good for Tech."

+ Reply to Thread