+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TECH/LSU Merger talks?

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Re: TECH/LSU Merger talks?

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog
    "Barham, an LSU graduate and supporter, said his concern is the risk of losing accreditation for programs when universities switch systems and, oftentimes, it does not save money. Accreditation is the reason the University of Louisiana at Monroe was never at serious risk of losing pharmacy to LSU, he said."

I don't like the potential that the quote above might imply! My fear is that LSU wants something from Tech and this is the easiest way to take it. I heard some rumors a few years ago that may or may not be true, that LSU tried to take Tech's engineering department by having it legislated at the state capitol. That alone plus the quote above makes me real nervous. Above all, Tech should retain its name!
    LSU is the limiting factor right now on the number of PhDs offered in the engineering department at Tech according to one of the ME professors who has since left for another school. It seems LSU has control over us as it is and I would'nt want them to gain any more.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by detltu
    LSU is the limiting factor right now on the number of PhDs offered in the engineering department at Tech according to one of the ME professors who has since left for another school. It seems LSU has control over us as it is and I would'nt want them to gain any more.
    IF and i mean IF we can be Louisiana Tech University, Louisiana Tech University at Shreveport, and the Louisiana Tech University Center for Health Sciences and Technology...

and we get LSU to meet us half way and agree to change the name of the system to "The State University System of Louisiana"

I would be tickled ****less.

This COULD position Louisiana Tech in a similar light as Texas Tech, complete with...yes folks, a great dream of ours for a long time...A bona fide PROFESSIONAL program, a "system" and other schools FEEDING into Louisiana Tech. This could be huge...if we go in with our eyes wide open.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3
    IF and i mean IF we can be Louisiana Tech University, Louisiana Tech University at Shreveport, and the Louisiana Tech University Center for Health Sciences and Technology...

and we get LSU to meet us half way and agree to change the name of the system to "The State University System of Louisiana"

This COULD position Louisiana Tech in a similar light as Texas Tech, complete with...yes folks, a great dream of ours for a long time...A bona fide PROFESSIONAL program, a "system" and other schools FEEDING into Louisiana Tech. This could be huge...if we go in with our eyes wide open.
    Yes, your dream is great, except this is Louisiana and this is lsu. Those things would be workable, IF this was a system truly open to change. When lsu is involved, though, it just won't work that way. lsu will have to gain the most, in order for them to get in bed with us.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    Yes, your dream is great, except this is Louisiana and this is lsu. Those things would be workable, IF this was a system truly open to change. When lsu is involved, though, it just won't work that way. lsu will have to gain the most, in order for them to get in bed with us.
    Point taken. Hey, a Dawg can dream, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3

I also kinda like "The Louisiana State and Technological University System"

Puppy HistDawg is just really niceHistDawg is just really niceHistDawg is just really niceHistDawg is just really niceHistDawg is just really niceHistDawg is just really niceHistDawg is just really niceHistDawg is just really niceHistDawg is just really niceHistDawg is just really nice

I am afraid that LSwho is just throwing us a bone, and trying to entise (sp) us into their web. Once they have us in that web, we will be at their mercy. As mentioned previously LSU does not want the competition. The only way that there will be real change is if there were more Tech/and all other state school supporters is to get elected to the state legislature. That is not likely to happen because to many people think that LSU is the greatest school on earth.

th

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Sometime opportunities present themselves in odd ways and they're hard to see. We need to be open minded to what might be here. We've done a lot to separate ourselves from the other schools in the "university" system. The next step to real statewide & national recognition and preeminence may come by being under the same funding umbrella as LSU.

Keep your friends close. Your enemies closer. Sun Tzu

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

I am confused on how LSU has any less control of us when we are not in the LSU system. We are a state school either way so the state legislature will always "run" us.

Varsity Bulldog cmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nicecmendawg is just really nice cmendawg's Avatar

I have stayed out of this discussion, but to make one things clear:

While there is always the potential that we could get hurt in any changes, there is also the potential that things could get better for us. Most importantly, given the spin in the media is from the perspective of the needs of the LSU system, I think that WE would hold the cards in any negotiations.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

I'm thinking that I'd trust and have 100% confidence in d.r., in whatever negotiations that might come out of this, to best represent LA TECH, my alma mater.

That being said, he should keep the hell away from Tech athletics.

jmo

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

I have very mixed feelings about this. But whatever happens is going to happen without anyone seeking my input so I guess that I will just have to live with it. For better or worse... ???

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

I feel sure what lsu wants is control of the biomedical engineering program to go along with the lsu medical center in Shreveport so that it can become more of a research institute. Reneau may be dealing with a bigger hand in this than lsu can afford. You can bet he's not going to give control of the biomed program since he started the first one in the country and now has seen his dream come true with the new $10 million building. I think it's more than a coincidence that this has come up with the opening of the biomed building just around the corner. Also, I think lsu had rather put more money into the medical center in Shreveport than the one in New Orleans since Katrina tore the place up. Therefore , they no longer have a need for UNO and would be tickled to get rid of it. I really don't see Tech getting anything out of this, so I hope Dan stands his ground. I don't think Tech will get control of the medical center. Maybe lsu should have been thinking more along the lines of quality rather than quantity when they built all these juior colleges and started turning them in to 4 year junior colleges. There's only one La Tech, but there's several watered down lsu's.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown
    I have very mixed feelings about this. But whatever happens is going to happen without anyone seeking my input so I guess that I will just have to live with it. For better or worse... ???
    hook has it right. There is very little to nothing we or even DR can do about it if the legistlature wants to make it happen. He doesn't have any cards to hold or any upper hand. He works for the state. Louisiana Tech doesn't belong to him regardless of what he or others might think. If the LSU hacks want to add Tech to the LSU system and call us LSU-Ruston, we have no choice.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Be sure to read the article posted on the BBB front page today about merger talks. State government is headed for some pretty dramatic changes due to the hurricanes. Things will be on the table that previously would never have been considered. The coming legislative session is going to be interesting to say the least. But the merger thing could be "low hanging fruit" and a real positive for our university. I would encourage BBB members who have the ear of legislators to talk it up.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog
    Be sure to read the article posted on the BBB front page today about merger talks. State government is headed for some pretty dramatic changes due to the hurricanes. Things will be on the table that previously would never have been considered. The coming legislative session is going to be interesting to say the least. But the merger thing could be "low hanging fruit" and a real positive for our university. I would encourage BBB members who have the ear of legislators to talk it up.
    So, I take it that you are in favor of the merger? Tell us what you want to happen:

Tech retains name and goes under lsu.

Tech takes over lsu Shreveport and lsu medical center, but maintains the name lsu.

Tech takes over lsus and lsu med center and it becomes Louisiana Tech Shreveport and Louisiana Tech Med Center.

Everything stays the same, but Tech is at the mercy of lsu.

This is all very scary to the many of us that love Louisiana Tech. I do not want to be just another lsu annex. It WILL affect our independance, no matter what type of merger takes place.

If some of you think that there will be more money, just remember that lsu will NEVER EVER let one of it's annexed campuses grow too large or take too much prestige away from it. This will give them even more power to rule over us than they have now.

Plus, if you think that we have difficulty now with Tech fans cheering for lsu, just think what is going to happen when they discover that we are in the same system.

I would love to get our hands on lsu med center and lsus, but not at the cost of selling our souls to the devil.

+ Reply to Thread