+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about what the Sun Belt is putting out

Champ 96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough 96bulldog's Avatar

Question about what the Sun Belt is putting out

MTSU won the Sun Belt last night and I came across this statement in the AP story about their victory:

"Middle Tennessee (20-10) earned its 10th NCAA berth and became the first Sun Belt team to win three straight tournament titles since Western Kentucky in 1991-93."

Is the Sun Belt leaving us out? Didn't we win the Sun Belt every year after 1993 until we left for the WAC?

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

Re: Question about what the Sun Belt is putting out

They likely meant to write "became the first 'current' Sun Belt team to win three straight tournament titles since Western Kentucky in 1991-93". In this case, a slip in wording is more likely than an intentional slight by AP or SBC officials.

Just my two.

Champ 96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough 96bulldog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weunice
    They likely meant to write "became the first 'current' Sun Belt team to win three straight tournament titles since Western Kentucky in 1991-93". In this case, a slip in wording is more likely than an intentional slight by AP or SBC officials.

Just my two.
    As a Tech journalism graduate, I think it would be more impressive to say MTSU was the first team to do it since the Lady Techsters did because of our status as a powerhouse in women's basketball. At least, that's how I see it!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by 96bulldog
    As a Tech journalism graduate, I think it would be more impressive to say MTSU was the first team to do it since the Lady Techsters did because of our status as a powerhouse in women's basketball. At least, that's how I see it!
    I agree.

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    I agree.
    Me too.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

MTSU won the Sun Belt last night and I came across this statement in the AP story about their victory:

"Middle Tennessee (20-10) earned its 10th NCAA berth and became the first Sun Belt team to win three straight tournament titles since Western Kentucky in 1991-93."

Is the Sun Belt leaving us out? Didn't we win the Sun Belt every year after 1993 until we left for the WAC?
    For the record, here's how the Lady Techsters finished in Sunbelt Tournament play each year:

1992 Lost to W Kentucky 82-63
    1993 Lost to W Kentucky 81-73
    1994 Beat W Kentucky 68-43
    1995 Lost to W Kentucky 71-68
    1996 Beat W Kentucky 71-53
    1997 Beat W Kentucky 80-68
    1998 Beat W Kentucky 69-68
    1999 Beat Florida International 97-70
    2000 Beat W Kentucky 97-94
    2001 Beat Denver 67-55

So, that's 6 straight Sunbelt tournament championships in a row before exiting the Sunbelt conference after the 2000-2001 season. If you are like me, the only thing that's surprising is that we didn't win 10 in a row.

I have to admit.....I didn't remember Western Kentucky being that tough every year. Wow......how the Lady Hilltoppers must hate the Lady Techsters.

HD
    Last edited by HogDawg; 03-10-2006 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg
    For the record, here's how the Lady Techsters finished in Sunbelt Tournament play each year:

1992 Lost to W Kentucky 82-63
    1993 Lost to W Kentucky 81-73
    1994 Beat W Kentucky 68-43
    1995 Lost to W Kentucky 71-68
    1996 Beat W Kentucky 71-53
    1997 Beat W Kentucky 80-68
    1998 Beat W Kentucky 69-68
    1999 Beat Florida International 97-70
    2000 Beat Western Kentucky 97-94
    2001 Beat Denver 67-55

So, that's 6 straight Sunbelt tournament championships in a row before exiting the Sunbelt conference after the 2000-2001 season. If you are like me, the only thing that's surprising is that we didn't win 10 in a row.

I have to admit.....I didn't remember Western Kentucky being that tough every year. Wow......how the Lady Hilltoppers must hate the Lady Techsters.

HD
    The Lady Hilltoppers were tough customers in the late 80's and early 90's. I don't have it in front of me, but I think they have a couple of Final Four appearances to their credit, too.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

The Lady Hilltoppers were tough customers in the late 80's and early 90's. I don't have it in front of me, but I think they have a couple of Final Four appearances to their credit, too.
    They have at least one FF appearance. After all of our rivalry back in the Belt days, WKU fans have the ultimate respect for our program. I went on their message board before we played them this year and there were nothing but compliments. They call Tech some of the classiest fans around.

I looked it up -- it seems Western Kentucky had Final Four teams in 85, 86, and 92. In 92 they made it to the championship, but succumbed 78-62 to Stanford.

+ Reply to Thread