+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question About the Shreveport Sports?

Varsity Bulldog Dawgs241 has turned a few heads around hereDawgs241 has turned a few heads around hereDawgs241 has turned a few heads around hereDawgs241 has turned a few heads around here

Question About the Shreveport Sports?

Can anyone give me some info on the Shreveport Sports baseball Team. What Major league team are they associated with and also some W/L records?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: Question About the Shreveport Sports?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs241
    Can anyone give me some info on the Shreveport Sports baseball Team. What Major league team are they associated with and also some W/L records?
    I could be wrong...I mean, it's never happened before, but you gotta start sometime.

I believe the Shreveport team was a transplant from Alexandria (the Aces). The Aces played in the Texas Louisiana League and they had NO major league affiliation.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

Shreveport Swamp Dragons affliated with The SF Giants. I think they changed names over the past couple years tho

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

Little more research on my part from http://www.baseballpilgrimages.com/AA/shreveport.html

They used to be called the Captains

Never mind, That was old Shreveport Sports

http://www.shreveportsports.com/

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

The Captians/Swamp Dragons have NOTHING to do with The Sports. The Sports are Called "Semi Pro" basically meaning that are not affiliated with any professional (MLB) teams. I have know idea what their record is.

Big Dog Tech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really niceTech09 is just really nice Tech09's Avatar

LITEMAN is correct. The Sports are an independent team and can be signed by MLB teams to contracts.

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Shreveport SwampDragons moved to Frisco, TX and are the RoughRiders, affiliated with the Rangers

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Nice that the name Shreveport Sports is being kept alive by someone. I grew up following the sports in the 1940s and 50s.

Varsity Bulldog Dawgs241 has turned a few heads around hereDawgs241 has turned a few heads around hereDawgs241 has turned a few heads around hereDawgs241 has turned a few heads around here

Thanks for the info everyone. Their web page does not give much info about their history and background. I am going to try to catch some games this year. I have drivin past Fair Grounds field everytime I went to the Tech games, it looks to be a nice stadium.

Does anyone know if AA clubs use the Wood bats or the Alum?

I noticed they play a team called the Pelicans, didn't they have a team years ago in New Orleans called the Pelicans?

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

The idiots that bought the Shreveport Captains did everything they could to turn the fans off including that ridiculous name - Swamp Dragons. I think they wanted to move the franchise when they bought it and after they drove attendence down to nothing, they had their excuse.

In 2003, The Shreveport Sports filled the baseball void that had been left for a couple of years by the move of the Captains/Swamp Dragons. They play in the Central League with no professional affiliations. A typical roster includes guys who have not been drafted as well as guys who have played AA and AAA ball. Last year we had a pitcher and an outfielder from Tech.

The first year they had teams in:
    East Division
    Alexandria, LA
    Jackson, MS
    Ozark/Springfield, MO
    Shreveport
    Fort Worth
    West Division
    Amarillo, TX
    Coastal Bend, TX
    Rio Grande Valley, TX
    San Angelo, TX
    Edinburg, TX

The Pelicans are in Pensacola, Fla. I think they must have replaced Ozark in the East. We lost to them in the playoffs last year in Pensacola right before Katrina hit. If you enjoy baseball on a summer evening in a very nice facility, come on out. The crowds are not humongous but they do seem to be growing. They play a fun brand of baseball. What they lack in consistency, which really isn't that much, they make up for in heart. These guys only make a few hundred dollars a month so they are playing because they love the game and want to play. One thing I have been surprised about is the number of "old" major leaguers who manage these clubs. They only play about 96 games, plus playoffs. They start the first part of May and start the playoffs the end of August. They have several promotions during the year and you've got beer, hotdogs, burgers, and baseball. Don't get no better than that.

+ Reply to Thread