+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Selection Sunday and the RPI

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Selection Sunday and the RPI

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    - Cartel teams with 15 losses are getting at-large bids.

- Cartel teams with losing records in conference play are getting at-large bids.

- Cartel teams with RPIs 60+ are getting at-large bids.

- Cartel teams with 300+ non-conference SOS rankings are getting at-large bids.

- Cartel teams with only 2 road wins are getting at-large bids.

The committee does not care about numbers or analytics. Under the current system, they selectively apply whatever they want to justify supporting the Cartel. Changing the formula accomplishes nothing. The system is what has to change.
    Seriously one of the best, most fact based posts ever!

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by FriscoDawg View Post
    I quit watching the bracket show as soon as the at-large list was announced. There wasn't anything else I was interested in.

The Turner Sports geniuses who changed the format of the show plus expanded it to 2 hours will find that their ratings likely fell off a cliff after the first 30 minutes.
    I quit watching after 45 minutes. Mrs. TD stated an expletive and turned the TV off after an hour.

I wish there was a way to form a nation-wide protest to try and effect the TV ratings of March Madness. Only way you'll ever get their attention is to hurt their revenue.

But that's probably just tilting at windmills.

Champ Wade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond repute Wade_Antley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post

No way OU and Bama should of made the field
    They both have lottery pick, one and done, freshmen. Gotta showcase em'.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

That pretty much nails it -

I'd add Arkansas and A&M to that list as well. Ridiculous.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

That pretty much nails it -

If I'm HC at a G5 school - I forget about "resume" building in planning my schedule - I line up as much wins as humanly possible and then try to win the regular season to assure the most favorable slot in the conference tourney and guarantee the minimum a NOT bid

I'm not ready to give up on the NCAAT yet. What you're suggesting is what Tech has been doing. Tech hasn't even tried to play the selection committee's game by putting together a schedule to give us a chance at an at-large bid. I'd like to see several more Cartel opponents on our OOC slate. Only 2 won't get it done. We need to ditch the Miles Colleges of the world and schedule more Top 50/100 opponents. So what if we lose them? We can't win them to build a resume if we don't schedule them, and nobody cares about wins against these no-name schools we keep scheduling. It would also be better for us financially.

Bulldog Dawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the rough Dawg-n-Pony's Avatar

I'm not ready to give up on the NCAAT yet. What you're suggesting is what Tech has been doing. Tech hasn't even tried to play the selection committee's game by putting together a schedule to give us a chance at an at-large bid. I'd like to see several more Cartel opponents on our OOC slate. Only 2 won't get it done. We need to ditch the Miles Colleges of the world and schedule more Top 50/100 opponents. So what if we lose them? We can't win them to build a resume if we don't schedule them, and nobody cares about wins against these no-name schools we keep scheduling. It would also be better for us financially.
    Good point. Next year's schedule should be littered with cartel teams. Its a lot easier to schedule them after a 17-win season versus after a 23-win season. Now is the time to lock up as many of those games for as long as you can. Or continue in obscurity against pretty good teams no one cares about.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Minimum guarantee games we should be paying is 3...

I'm ok with playing as many as 5
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Minimum guarantee games we should be paying is 3...

I'm ok with playing as many as 5
    Agreed. We go one route or the other.

Play as many as 5 guarantee games, all against potential Top 75 competition to hopefully pull out a couple of quad 1 wins. Or go the other route and don't play any at all. Playing just 2, even if you beat one of them, gets you almost nowhere.

Varsity Bulldog tech_dawg_fan is a glorious beacon of lighttech_dawg_fan is a glorious beacon of lighttech_dawg_fan is a glorious beacon of lighttech_dawg_fan is a glorious beacon of lighttech_dawg_fan is a glorious beacon of lighttech_dawg_fan is a glorious beacon of lighttech_dawg_fan is a glorious beacon of lighttech_dawg_fan is a glorious beacon of lighttech_dawg_fan is a glorious beacon of lighttech_dawg_fan is a glorious beacon of lighttech_dawg_fan is a glorious beacon of light tech_dawg_fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Agreed. We go one route or the other.

Play as many as 5 guarantee games, all against potential Top 75 competition to hopefully pull out a couple of quad 1 wins. Or go the other route and don't play any at all. Playing just 2, even if you beat one of them, gets you almost nowhere.
    I completely agree with trying to put together as tough as an OOC schedule as possible. If possible, I think the conference should some how have a requirement on level of OOC schedules. Schools with a 200 or 300+ OOC SOS should be punished (including us with our annual SWAC/MEAC tour). I know this will never happen, but if we want to be a multi-bid league again this may be one of the only ways possible. Hell the conference still let Birmingham host after dropping football and never punished them. So I know this is a pipe dream.

FWIW, it looks like Kermit is ditching MTSU for Ole Miss b/c he did exactly what should be necessary to get an at-large bid and was still screwed by the committee.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tech_dawg_fan View Post
    I completely agree with trying to put together as tough as an OOC schedule as possible. If possible, I think the conference should some how have a requirement on level of OOC schedules. Schools with a 200 or 300+ OOC SOS should be punished (including us with our annual SWAC/MEAC tour). I know this will never happen, but if we want to be a multi-bid league again this may be one of the only ways possible. Hell the conference still let Birmingham host after dropping football and never punished them. So I know this is a pipe dream.

FWIW, it looks like Kermit is ditching MTSU for Ole Miss b/c he did exactly what should be necessary to get an at-large bid and was still screwed by the committee.
    The weaker C-USA programs don't need tough OOC schedules. They need the opposite. The weaker C-USA teams ought to be limited to only 1 Cartel opponent and be required to try to buy as many wins as possible.

Basically the top C-USA teams that think they can compete for an NCAA at-large bid, NIT, or conference championship need to play as many tough OOC games as possible. Everyone else needs to try to buy as many wins as possible. That's how you rig the RPI and play the selection committee's game.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

The weaker C-USA programs don't need tough OOC schedules. They need the opposite. The weaker C-USA teams ought to be limited to only 1 Cartel opponent and be required to try to buy as many wins as possible.

Basically the top C-USA teams that think they can compete for an NCAA at-large bid, NIT, or conference championship need to play as many tough OOC games as possible. Everyone else needs to try to buy as many wins as possible. That's how you rig the RPI and play the selection committee's game.
    That's the exact formula the Missouri Valley once used when it was very strong at the top and weak at the bottom.

Bulldog Dawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the roughDawg-n-Pony is a jewel in the rough Dawg-n-Pony's Avatar

Soooo...how does the conference decide which are the "weaker" teams. Rank the previous year? Because if so, after a 10th place finish, Tech would have to schedule a bunch of pansies in 18-19 by this model. How many fans here would sign up for that next year?

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-n-Pony View Post
    Soooo...how does the conference decide which are the "weaker" teams. Rank the previous year? Because if so, after a 10th place finish, Tech would have to schedule a bunch of pansies in 18-19 by this model. How many fans here would sign up for that next year?
    How would this be different from what we normally do?

I'd go by RPI, since that's the metric we're trying to game. If you don't meet a certain cutoff (3 year rolling average), you have to schedule pansies. If Tech doesn't want to have to do that, they can start winning games.

Plus, have we already forgotten the absolutely offensive schedule from a few years ago? Whoever is doing this scheduling sure doesn't care about what the fans want.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    How would this be different from what we normally do?

If Tech doesn't want to have to do that, they can start winning games.

Whoever is doing this scheduling sure doesn't care about what the fans want.
    True.

+ Reply to Thread