+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Selection Sunday and the RPI

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Selection Sunday and the RPI

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752
    These CBS guys are idiots. They are throwing out all of these numbers about how ACC historically has more Sweet 16 appearances than MVC so they should have more bids. All the guy has to do to answer it is explain ACC usually gets 1-4 seeds so it is easier for them to make it and they also usually get more teams.
    Not idiots, realist. To say that the MVC's top four teams are better than the ACC's top for teams is idiotic. To say that the MVC's top four teams are better than the WAC's top four teams is VERY questionable. Bottom line, the ACC (and the WAC) have had much more success in the big dance that the MVC will have in the next five years.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

These CBS guys are idiots. They are throwing out all of these numbers about how ACC historically has more Sweet 16 appearances than MVC so they should have more bids. All the guy has to do to answer it is explain ACC usually gets 1-4 seeds so it is easier for them to make it and they also usually get more teams.
    Packer and Nance were absolutely pathetic in that interview segment.

And before we forget...time to congratulate Wright Waters and the Sun Belt Conference celebrating its 12th straight tournament as a 1-bid league.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck
    Don't overlook the fact simply that he is on the committee. Of couse he can't deliberate on WAC teams, but neither can any other conference commissioner on his own teams.

At least the committee didn't put Utah State at RPI 46 in the same category as Missouri State....NIT.
    If he did ANYTHING positive for the WAC, it would be the first thing he has done since we have been members.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Benson just being in a position of influence is positive. Much easier to get someone's ear when you are involved in meetings with them during the year and are sequestered with them during deliberations for several days.

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck
    Packer and Nance were absolutely pathetic in that interview segment.

And before we forget...time to congratulate Wright Waters and the Sun Belt Conference celebrating its 12th straight tournament as a 1-bid league.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg
    Not idiots, realist. To say that the MVC's top four teams are better than the ACC's top for teams is idiotic. To say that the MVC's top four teams are better than the WAC's top four teams is VERY questionable. Bottom line, the ACC (and the WAC) have had much more success in the big dance that the MVC will have in the next five years.
    Sure the top 4 ACC are better than the top 4 MVC but that doesn't mean the Valley shouldn't have 4 teams. They all got low seeds while ACC continues to get high seeds. The WAC was carried by Nevada in the OOC schedule while MVC is carried by UNI. Nevada beat Kansas (who tanked until the end of the season) but UNI beats LSU. As much as I agree the WAC can compete with the Valley their entire conference got a huge boost by one school.

Sure the top 4 ACC are better than the top 4 MVC but that doesn't mean the Valley shouldn't have 4 teams. They all got low seeds while ACC continues to get high seeds. The WAC was carried by Nevada in the OOC schedule while MVC is carried by UNI. Nevada beat Kansas (who tanked until the end of the season) but UNI beats LSU. As much as I agree the WAC can compete with the Valley their entire conference got a huge boost by one school.
    I believe that the at large selections should be the best teams. The seeding is another debate. I will give the MVC credit for two things. #1 they schedule for success (RPI) and #2 they market their product......much more than can be said for Benson, Oakes, and the WAC.

...but the team with the best RPI and 2nd best SOS of the 6 MVC contenders is NIT bound. I might agree with only 4 MVC teams, but they got the wrong 4.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

I thought it was interesting that the committee chairman stated that this dispells the myth that we place teams based on their rpi. Most of us have been highly suspicious of its use "against" the Lady Techsters in the past. As far as the MVC getting four bids, I say more power to them. I would have liked to see them get five. Any success a non-bcsbs conference has benefits all of us. Instead of snapping at each other over the bcsbs table scraps, I wish the WAC would have gotten three and the Sunbelt two. I don't care who it is, I like to see the "non power" conferences get a bigger share of the pie. Congrats USU and to the MVC.

Quote Originally Posted by oledawg66
    I thought it was interesting that the committee chairman stated that this dispells the myth that we place teams based on their rpi. Most of us have been highly suspicious of its use "against" the Lady Techsters in the past. As far as the MVC getting four bids, I say more power to them. I would have liked to see them get five. Any success a non-bcsbs conference has benefits all of us. Instead of snapping at each other over the bcsbs table scraps, I wish the WAC would have gotten three and the Sunbelt two. I don't care who it is, I like to see the "non power" conferences get a bigger share of the pie. Congrats USU and to the MVC.
    Excellent points (except for the Sun Belt)....

Instead of Billy Packer whining about the MVC getting as many bids as the ACC, we should be outraged that the MVC didn't get more bids than the ACC...

MVC...6 RPI Top 40 teams, 4 bids
    ACC...3 RPI Top 40 teams, 4 bids

And just as a reminder on the Lady Techsters and RPI, over the last six years Tech has been seeded on average exactly where its RPI put it (2 years over, 2 years the same, and 2 years under...both due to RPI penalties). And I'm hoping for an under (11 seed) more than I want to see an over (9 seed) this year.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I just want USU to pull an upset and for Nevada to carry our banner.

Nevada SHOULD be able to, at least, make the S16 in this bracket. Hopefully, they will go, at least, one more.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

I think part of this had to do with the Committee understanding just how important non power conferences are. With the new RPI system if they don't show a little respect for MVC they may see signs of a backlash. How can you have the NCAA tournament without Cinderella?

Seems like I remember RC stating earlier in the year that we need four units to at least keep our current payouts going. Two teams in = two units. Right? Two wins = two more units?

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg
    Seems like I remember RC stating earlier in the year that we need four units to at least keep our current payouts going. Two teams in = two units. Right? Two wins = two more units?
    Exactly...two wins to get to 4 units to replace the five from 2000 that won't in the calculations for next April's money. One less unit but higher per unit payout will keep total dollars basically the same. Let's pull for Nevada and Utah State to get the maximum 10 combined units with Final Four trips.

Utah State getting in will mean an extra $1-1.2 million for the WAC over the next six years. The same goes for every Wolf Pack or Aggie win in the first 4 rounds.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    I am wondering what today's selection show will be like when the new weighted RPI is used by the Committee. On the SIU board several weeks ago it was pointed out that no team with an RPI of 40 or better and fewer than 10 losses has never been left out.

Will the MVC get 5 bids? How many teams from power conferences (Big 6) with fewer than 20 wins with RPIs in the 50s and 60s make the tournament?

For the past two decades, in various years, I've seen teams from mid-major conferences with RPIs/Sagarin ratings in the 50s and 60s told by the committee that was too low.

Will the shoe be on the other foot this year?
    I started this thread 12 years ago this week. And with the influence of the RPI being dramatically reduced next season in favor of a combination of analytical tools I thought I would bring it back up again, as this is the last year in the current system.

It is amazing how the results of the weighted RPI impacted the power leagues. That first year with the MVC getting 5 bids (should have received 6) and a host of other conferences receiving multiple bids (and a Sun Belt school - Western Kentucky - was the first team out) the process of the power schools manipulating the system began.

As I said 12 years ago no school with an RPI of 40 or better and less than 10 losses had ever been left out of the tournament. And even in that first season in 2006 Missouri State with an RPI of 21 was left home.

In the years that followed when the RPI didn't favor the power schools they came up with a variety of ways to rig the system. First it was a shift in focus to "Top 100 RPI wins" and "Top 50 RPI wins". There have been many, many other changes, big and small, that have impacted the selection process in the past decade to favor what is now 7 power basketball conferences.

All that being said, there is an expectation within the non-power leagues that beginning next season there will be dramatic changes in the selection process. If not, within the next few years I think you're going to see the presidents of the 275 non-power basketball schools step in with legislation that would change the selection process. The rumor floating around is that the NCAA bringing in Jerry Pom, Jeff Sagarin and others a year ago to come up with a better analytical system was the direct result of rule-change language regarding the Committee floating around the non-power league presidents.

In the end the power leagues just made the cool kids club too exclusive. I'm anxious to see how it plays out.

+ Reply to Thread