+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Selection Sunday and the RPI

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Selection Sunday and the RPI

Couldn't care less about the stupid committee and the so-called major conferences getting 8-10 in.

Watching the Penn-Harvard Ivy League champ game. Good basketball. Fun to watch.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand the love affair the committee has with the SEC. This is the least interested in March Madness I've been in years.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Oklahoma... Hah.

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Don't watch it anymore, don't fill out brackets anymore.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    I don't understand the love affair the committee has with the SEC. This is the least interested in March Madness I've been in years.
    I quit watching the bracket show as soon as the at-large list was announced. There wasn't anything else I was interested in.

The Turner Sports geniuses who changed the format of the show plus expanded it to 2 hours will find that their ratings likely fell off a cliff after the first 30 minutes.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    I started this thread 12 years ago this week. And with the influence of the RPI being dramatically reduced next season in favor of a combination of analytical tools I thought I would bring it back up again, as this is the last year in the current system.

It is amazing how the results of the weighted RPI impacted the power leagues. That first year with the MVC getting 5 bids (should have received 6) and a host of other conferences receiving multiple bids (and a Sun Belt school - Western Kentucky - was the first team out) the process of the power schools manipulating the system began.

As I said 12 years ago no school with an RPI of 40 or better and less than 10 losses had ever been left out of the tournament. And even in that first season in 2006 Missouri State with an RPI of 21 was left home.

In the years that followed when the RPI didn't favor the power schools they came up with a variety of ways to rig the system. First it was a shift in focus to "Top 100 RPI wins" and "Top 50 RPI wins". There have been many, many other changes, big and small, that have impacted the selection process in the past decade to favor what is now 7 power basketball conferences.

All that being said, there is an expectation within the non-power leagues that beginning next season there will be dramatic changes in the selection process. If not, within the next few years I think you're going to see the presidents of the 275 non-power basketball schools step in with legislation that would change the selection process. The rumor floating around is that the NCAA bringing in Jerry Pom, Jeff Sagarin and others a year ago to come up with a better analytical system was the direct result of rule-change language regarding the Committee floating around the non-power league presidents.

In the end the power leagues just made the cool kids club too exclusive. I'm anxious to see how it plays out.
    Don't get your hopes up. The new formula, assuming it still happens, will just be more window dressing the committee will selectively apply. The new formula won't be selecting the at-large teams. This year they added other metrics like KenPom and others including composite averages to the selection sheet, but it appears they pretty much ignored it. KenPom #28 was snubbed while KenPom #69 got an at-large bid. The truth is the NCAA selection committee doesn't care about analytics. All they care about is power and money, and no formula will change that because they can choose to apply it or not however they want to justify whatever end result they want.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    ...The truth is the NCAA selection committee doesn't care about analytics. All they care about is power and money, and no formula will change that because they can choose to apply it or not however they want to justify whatever end result they want.
    Yep. There is no accountability for their decisions either, just blatant cheating.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Yep. There is no accountability for their decisions either, just blatant cheating.
    Agreed. There's outrage for a couple hours. Cmte chairman brushes off a couple questions with no follow-up. Nothing is done about it. Then the cycle repeats itself again 365 days later. Tweaks to formulas won't accomplish anything as long as the cmte selecting the teams doesn't change.

- Cartel teams with 15 losses are getting at-large bids.

- Cartel teams with losing records in conference play are getting at-large bids.

- Cartel teams with RPIs 60+ are getting at-large bids.

- Cartel teams with 300+ non-conference SOS rankings are getting at-large bids.

- Cartel teams with only 2 road wins are getting at-large bids.

The committee does not care about numbers or analytics. Under the current system, they selectively apply whatever they want to justify supporting the Cartel. Changing the formula accomplishes nothing. The system is what has to change.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

- Cartel teams with 15 losses are getting at-large bids.

- Cartel teams with losing records in conference play are getting at-large bids.

- Cartel teams with RPIs 60+ are getting at-large bids.

- Cartel teams with 300+ non-conference SOS rankings are getting at-large bids.

- Cartel teams with only 2 road wins are getting at-large bids.

The committee does not care about numbers or analytics. Under the current system, they selectively apply whatever they want to justify supporting the Cartel. Changing the formula accomplishes nothing. The system is what has to change.
    That pretty much nails it -

If I'm HC at a G5 school - I forget about "resume" building in planning my schedule - I line up as much wins as humanly possible and then try to win the regular season to assure the most favorable slot in the conference tourney and guarantee the minimum a NOT bid

No way OU and Bama should of made the field
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get your hopes up. The new formula, assuming it still happens, will just be more window dressing the committee will selectively apply.
    I'm actually not hopeful at all. But there are expectations within the non-power leagues that changes will be made. If not, it's believed by some the Presidents within the non-power leagues now have the votes to press the issue. There are a lot of rumors flying around. And roughly 75% of Division 1 is outside of the power leagues. They could easily force mandates on the Committee.

After yesterday's debacle, nothing would surprise me.
    Last edited by The Historian; 03-12-2018 at 09:24 AM.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

But feel free to call me the fool — knowing full well that the NCAA is among the most corrupt and morally bankrupt organizations in North America, I still underestimated how unfair it could be.

This writer asks a fair question. How many members of the Committee actually saw St. Mary's play even one game?

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2018/03...ge-basketball/
    Last edited by The Historian; 03-12-2018 at 10:44 AM.

Big Dog tech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    I'm actually not hopeful at all. But there are expectations within the non-power leagues that changes will be made. If not, it's believed by some the Presidents within the non-power leagues now have the votes to press the issue. There are a lot of rumors flying around. And roughly 75% of Division 1 is outside of the power leagues. They could easily force mandates on the Committee.

After yesterday's debacle, nothing would surprise me.
    Do you think this would force a split and the P5's go their own way? Pigs at a trough do not let others in!

Quote Originally Posted by tech70 View Post
    Do you think this would force a split and the P5's go their own way? Pigs at a trough do not let others in!
    That possibility was discussed a few years ago and the talk faded away. They realized what they would lose by leaving the NCAA would not be worth it.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

At this point I thank god we still have an auto bid.

+ Reply to Thread