+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: another music thread

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

another music thread

one of the most underappreciated arts in the music world is the art of the cover song. some of my favorite songs are performed by someone other than the original artist. so on to the question of the thread:

what is the best cover song of all time?

my answer:
    - jimi hendrix's version of bob dylan's "all along the watchtower"

but it was a close battle with
    - eric clapton's version of robert johnson's "crossroads" and "travelling riverside blues"
    and
    - the allman brothers band's version of blind willie mctell's "statesboro blues"

some runners-up:
    - hootie and the blowfish's version of led zep's "hey hey what can i say"
    - third day's version of bob dylan's "saved"
    - bob dylan's version of jerry jeff walker's "mr. bojangles" (although i sometimes like walker's version better).

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Re: another music thread

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob
    bob dylan's version of jerry jeff walker's "mr. bojangles" (although i sometimes like walker's version better).
    When you are talking covers - you have to talk covers - and Jerry Jeff Walker was a WRITER first and foremost - before he mingled with the recording business -

And where "Mr Bojangles" is concerned - after Dylan its the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and The Band -

An "underappreciated" great cover is Dwight Yokam's cover of Elvis' - "Suspicous Minds" - Live Version - great great tune -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Varsity Bulldog cgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Some band called Orgy did a cover of New Order's Blue Monday a few years ago that was really good. Uncle Kraker's cover of Doby Gray's Drift Away is excellent!

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    When you are talking covers - you have to talk covers - and Jerry Jeff Walker was a WRITER first and foremost - before he mingled with the recording business -

And where "Mr Bojangles" is concerned - after Dylan its the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and The Band -

An "underappreciated" great cover is Dwight Yokam's cover of Elvis' - "Suspicous Minds" - Live Version - great great tune -
    i like nitty gritty's and the band's version, too. did walker not perform it before dylan? sorry, i'm too young to know. i will substitute shinedown's version of lynard skynard's "simple man" if bojangles doesn't count.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde
    Johnny Cash - Hurt
    The Man in Black did alot of good covers -

He pulled a magically one with that NIN cover -

Rod Stewart's cover of Cat Steven's - The First Cut is the Deepest -

Lenny Kravitz's (a very underrated rocker) cover of American Woman -

Cheap Trick's cover of Fats Domino's - Ain't That a Shame - Live Version

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Aerosmith's Come Together was always one of my favorites.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob
    i like nitty gritty's and the band's version, too. did walker not perform it before dylan? sorry, i'm too young to know. i will substitute shinedown's version of lynard skynard's "simple man" if bojangles doesn't count.
    It counts -

That was basically the Cosmic Cowboy's one hit wonder - he was a much more polished writer -

Like I said Walker was a WRITER FIRST - much like Willie Nelson - both didn't get into the "signin" end until well after they were established as FIRST RATE writers -

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

2 recent covers from some one hit wonder bands:

Don Henley's Boys of Summer by the Atari's was very good.

Alien Ant Farms Smooth Criminal by Michael Jackson was hilarious.

Nirvana and Bruce Springsteen have had a few good covers too.

People tend to forget that the Beatles got their start by playing Motown covers to a bunch of English and German white kids -

Rollover Beethoven -

Mr. Postman -

etc -

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

I like Metallica's "Turn the Page" better than Seger's.

And of course when you mention The Beatles and covers -

You have to mention - Joe Cockers cover of "With A Little Help From My Friends"....

Quote Originally Posted by firedog
    I like Metallica's "Turn the Page" better than Seger's.
    It's ok - but to me the original is better and its a cryin' shame that it took until last year to get Seger into the Rock N Roll hall of fame -

However - I do like thier cover of Thin Lizzy's "Whiskey in Jar" which is an old Irish folk song -

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

It's ok - but to me the original is better and its a cryin' shame that it took until last year to get Seger into the Rock N Roll hall of fame -

However - I do like thier cover of Thin Lizzy's "Whiskey in Jar" which is an old Irish folk song -
    That's another good one.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

And of course when you mention The Beatles and covers -

You have to mention - Joe Cockers cover of "With A Little Help From My Friends"....
    The Wonder Years....hahahahahhaha
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

+ Reply to Thread