+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: another music thread

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Re: another music thread

Another cover I like - is Pearl Jam's cover of J Frank Wilson and the Cavalier's - LAST KISS -

The reason I like it so much, since I was never a big fan of the original song or Pearl Jam itself - is the reason they did it - they donated all the proceeds from the sale of the song back to J Frank who was battling a serious illness at the time -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cgraves562
    Some band called Orgy did a cover of New Order's Blue Monday a few years ago that was really good. Uncle Kraker's cover of Doby Gray's Drift Away is excellent!
    Anything with Orgy and Uncle Kracker blows. Come on, you have to get out more. You probably like anybody who redid "Eye of the Tiger" or something queer like that.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

How about:

-Van Halen's cover of "Pretty Woman"?
    -GNR's "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"
    -Clapton's I Shot the Sherriff (by Bob Marley)
    -Bob Marley's "War" is actually a cover of a speech given to the UN by Ethiopian Prime Minister Haile Selassie, and pretty profound lyrics

I like Cocker's "A Little Help From My Friends" cover. One of the few Beatles covers I can stand. Who can forget his other Beatles cover: "She Came In From The Bathroom Window" from Abbey Road?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg
    How about Van Halen's cover of Pretty Woman?
    Got to have it with the LONG INTRO - 98 Rocks was the ONLY station in the local area that would play it and The Eagle in Dallas would play it also -

Killer tune - in a way, its just as good or better than Orbison's original -

Major remake from a band that cut their teeth on 60's covers -

Their cover of the Kink's "You Really Got Me" - with ERUPTION as the lead in -

Some band called Orgy did a cover of New Order's Blue Monday a few years ago that was really good. Uncle Kraker's cover of Doby Gray's Drift Away is excellent!
    Like I've said hundreds of time on this board - today's bands are weak - this just proves it more -

Fat's is the ORIGINAL Blue Monday circa 1957

BLUE MONDAY

(Domino - Bartholomew)

FATS DOMINO (IMPERIAL 5417, 1957)

Written in 1955 for the 1956 movie "The Girl Can't Help It"

Blue Monday, how I hate blue Monday
    Got to work like a slave all day
    Here come Tuesday, oh hard Tuesday
    I'm so tired, got no time to play
    Here come Wednesday, I'm beat to my socks
    My gal calls, got to tell her that I'm out
    'Cause Thursday is a hard workin' day
    And Friday I'll get my pay Saturday morning, oh Saturday morning
    All my tiredness has gone away
    Got my money and my honey
    And I'm out on the town to play
    Sunday morning, my head is bad
    But it's worth it, for the times that I've had
    But I've got to get my rest
    'Cause Monday is a mess
    Saturday morning, oh Saturday morning
    All my tiredness has gone away
    Got my money and my honey
    And I'm out on the town to play
    Sunday morning, my head is bad
    But it's worth it, for the times that I've had
    But I've got to get my rest
    'Cause Monday is a mess

I love thread's like this -

Popular music -

In the last few years I've started listening to alot of Sinatra and Dean Martin - and watching alot of their old movies -

There is some GREAT music - great music from that era -

Varsity Bulldog cgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

DFM..

Completely different song.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

DFM..

I dont care what song it is a cover of. If Orgy or Uncle Kracker or near about anybody from the past decade did it, it sucked.

DFM..

But they couldn't think of an ORIGINAL title -

That's my POINT -

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    I love thread's like this -

Popular music -

In the last few years I've started listening to alot of Sinatra and Dean Martin - and watching alot of their old movies -

There is some GREAT music - great music from that era -
    Don't get me started on the Rat Pack - Deano and the Chairman of the Board. They have a coolness that transcends generations, time and fads. Case in point, if someone were dressed up like Eddie Van Halen or David Lee Roth nowadays, you would think they are a freak. But it will ALWAYS be cool to hang out in Vegas suites at 2 AM wearing a tuxedo and toting an ice cube clinking High-Ball glass full of Glenfiddich. All the while, crooning some high class "Dames" or "Broads". Some of my favorite Deano and Chairman tunes:

-"You're Nobody 'Til Somebody Loves You"
    -"Volare"
    -"Ain't Love a Kick in the Head"
    -"Waves"
    -"Pocketful of Miracles"
    -"My Way"
    -"Chicago (My Kind of Town)"
    -"New York"
    -"A Foggy Day (In London Town)"

You can probably find ANY of these covered on a nightly basis in lounges across the US.

Varsity Bulldog cgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecgraves562 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

dhuss..

Do you mean the original song sucks or the cover sucks? Either way, bottomline is you are a dumbass! By your reasoning, if mean the cover and someone did one of "Moon River" today, it would automatically suck. If you mean the original song, New Order recorded it in the early 80's so that wasn't in the last decade. Not to mention there has been a lot of good music come out over the last 10 years.

DFM,

There are plenty of songs that share titles with other songs. Regardless, I dont think a British band in the early 80's set out to in any way copy a Fats Domino song!

I thought of two others that were great:

-The Byrds' cover of Dylan's "Tambourine Man"
    -And how could I forget CCR's rendition of North Louisiana's own Huddie Ledbetter's "Midnight Special"
    -Or CCR's "Proud Mary" for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg
    But it will ALWAYS be cool to hang out in Vegas suites at 2 AM wearing a tuxedo and toting an ice cube clinking High-Ball glass full of Glenfiddich. All the while, crooning some high class "Dames" or "Broads".
    The epitomy of Cool -

Not mention they had every luscious woman on God's green earth drooling over them -

DFM,

There are plenty of songs that share titles with other songs. Regardless, I dont think a British band in the early 80's set out to in any way copy a Fats Domino song!
    Ahh - but that's the RUB -

Truly GREAT BANDS do -

They all have a since of musical history about them and they KNOW thier "musicology" -

So what are you saying? They suck because they couldn't come up with an original title AND they suck because they didn't set out to copy Fats Domino?? Just for the record, I never said New Order was a GREAT band, I just really like them.

+ Reply to Thread