+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LSU Men and Women's basketball

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: LSU Men and Women's basketball

We compete with LSU in track...we compete in a lot of areas. But, the most important area is in the monetary department. As long as fans consider LSU a rival, they are a rival. As long as I get ragged on for going to Tech, the person ragging me is a rival. Louisiana Tech has to consider all in-state teams rivals because of the conference we play in.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrew
    EXPLAIN LSU as a rival when we dont play in anything?????:icon_roll
    Granted we don't play regularly, but we do play them. I seem to remember a football contest with them in the future and while we're at it, track. As others have stated before, we are in competition with them for students, student athletes, fans, media coverage and also money.

While it is true that people can and often do root for LSU and Tech, who do you think is first in most of the minds of casual fans. In media coverage all you have to do is look to Shreveport to see the disparity. Students and athletes are often plucked from our area of the world because of attitudes like yours, LSU is above and beyond every other state school. I simply beg to differ. And for the money aspect, we don't get enough pull in Red Stick. Granted we are in another system as LSU, but the mindset down there is that southern LA is all there is. That goes for alot of things including our funding.

In this case, I characterize a rival as anyone who is after the same resources Tech is after with the intent to deprive Tech of them.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

ATO and guys, yall quit. Yall are going to make all of the Tech LSU cronies feel bad for loving LSU. I am indifferent towards LSU, I just dont care. Tech needs to work on Tech and not worry about anybody else, but I surely dont mind my fellow Tech brethren hating LSU. I do mind them getting off on watching LSU play sports though.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hcet .AL
    Ya Gotta Love it!
    As for you, you are a douche.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

EXPLAIN LSU as a rival when we dont play in anything?????:icon_roll
    Why do you think we don't play LSU? They do not want anything that can be considered a rival in the state. Playing Tech would only tell the state we are rivals (especially if they actually come to Tech to play). We will always be too much of a threat for LSU to play us on a consistent basis.

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752
    Why do you think we don't play LSU? They do not want anything that can be considered a rival in the state. Playing Tech would only tell the state we are rivals (especially if they actually come to Tech to play). We will always be too much of a threat for LSU to play us on a consistent basis.
    Ok all I asked was what made them rivals and I dont agree but its a good answer. I need more than track to be considered a rival. Football, basketball, baseball. I always thought A rival was someone you played on a consistent basis? Auburn-ALA, Ohio st.-Michigan, FSU-FLA...Guess I was wrong. I will agree I think Tech is the only school that could be a threat on a consistent basis.

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg
    ATO and guys, yall quit. Yall are going to make all of the Tech LSU cronies feel bad for loving LSU. I am indifferent towards LSU, I just dont care. Tech needs to work on Tech and not worry about anybody else, but I surely dont mind my fellow Tech brethren hating LSU. I do mind them getting off on watching LSU play sports though.
    I agree Tech needs to work on Tech not worry about anybody else.

I will give you one pet-peeve of mine.

When people where LSU gear to Tech games.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

I agree Tech needs to work on Tech not worry about anybody else.

I will give you one pet-peeve of mine.

When people where LSU gear to Tech games.
    How about the mis-named "Regal Blues" wearing RED tops to the Fresno game? WTF?

Note: The "blue" worn by the "Regal Blues" is never regal, and it is seldom even blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96
    How about the mis-named "Regal Blues" wearing RED tops to the Fresno game? WTF?

Note: The "blue" worn by the "Regal Blues" is never regal, and it is seldom even blue.
    Very good point!

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Ok all I asked was what made them rivals and I dont agree but its a good answer. I need more than track to be considered a rival. Football, basketball, baseball. I always thought A rival was someone you played on a consistent basis? Auburn-ALA, Ohio st.-Michigan, FSU-FLA...Guess I was wrong. I will agree I think Tech is the only school that could be a threat on a consistent basis.
    Yea I get what you are saying but the way I see it is LSU is our rival. LSU may not admit it but they care what Tech does because our success can cut this state in half. I can see us getting on the same level as the FSU-Florida, Auburn-Alabama, or Michigan-Ohio State sometime but it will take our fans (mostly students) to understand what we can do.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Yea I get what you are saying but the way I see it is LSU is our rival. LSU may not admit it but they care what Tech does because our success can cut this state in half. I can see us getting on the same level as the FSU-Florida, Auburn-Alabama, or Michigan-Ohio State sometime but it will take our fans (mostly students) to understand what we can do.
    With all due respect to the school I love, we will never have a rivalry like that of the schools you mention. Any chance we had for that was squelched by the Long regime, among other things. Too many people have been brainwashed for too long in this state for that to happen. The more likely scenario for us is something akin to what Texas Tech has: they are often the foil to aTm or UT, but can't seem to get a real rivalry going, even though they may gain quite a bit of respect on the national stage. It'll be a cold day in hell before the powers that be in LSU allow a genuine rival to rise up in this state. So, when we do get strong, they'll just refuse to play us, like they have in the past when we have been relatively strong.

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

With all due respect to the school I love, we will never have a rivalry like that of the schools you mention. Any chance we had for that was squelched by the Long regime, among other things. Too many people have been brainwashed for too long in this state for that to happen. The more likely scenario for us is something akin to what Texas Tech has: they are often the foil to aTm or UT, but can't seem to get a real rivalry going, even though they may gain quite a bit of respect on the national stage. It'll be a cold day in hell before the powers that be in LSU allow a genuine rival to rise up in this state. So, when we do get strong, they'll just refuse to play us, like they have in the past when we have been relatively strong.
    I agree we will never have a traditional rivalry in athletics with LSU. If we do get to a level where we can compete with them, some random basketball tourney or some bowl selection committee (I can still hope) will find a Tech-LSU match up will be a good show.

Note: I am not saying this for anytime soon and I am dealing with future predictions that may or may not occur.

Given that a rivalry with LSU would be hard to get I think we can do it but not the way our fan support is. If we wise up to the power we have then we can do anything. A commitment from the students is all we need (although it will take years of a continued commitment). We must do anything we can to keep student support going once we build it and I think that is an area the Blue may become very helpful. Also a supportive student body will lead to supportive alumni and thus creating a larger fan base when these alumni raise their kids to be Tech fans.

The idea of a Tigger Burn was brought up in another thread and I really like that idea. Anything we can do to show that not all schools support LSU is enough to show we are a threat and try and establish ourselves as equals in their eyes and the eyes of the state. Another idea I thought of (which I am sure other people have thought of before) is Tech TV creating a second channel just for Tech sports. Maybe call it TSPN or something like that. You could show away games on that channel like the WAC website does for basketball and when games are not on we can have shows about sports and replays of some of the greatest games in Tech history such as Alabama (part 1 and 2), Michigan State, Fresno State (part 1 and 2) or the first Lady Techster national championship or something. Anything we can do to turn students into Tech fans (and keep them away from LSU) should be enough to show LSU we are a power in the state.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

The idea of a Tigger Burn was brought up in another thread and I really like that idea. Anything we can do to show that not all schools support LSU is enough to show we are a threat and try and establish ourselves as equals in their eyes and the eyes of the state. Another idea I thought of (which I am sure other people have thought of before) is Tech TV creating a second channel just for Tech sports. Maybe call it TSPN or something like that. You could show away games on that channel like the WAC website does for basketball and when games are not on we can have shows about sports and replays of some of the greatest games in Tech history such as Alabama (part 1 and 2), Michigan State, Fresno State (part 1 and 2) or the first Lady Techster national championship or something. Anything we can do to turn students into Tech fans (and keep them away from LSU) should be enough to show LSU we are a power in the state.
    Those are some good ideas other than the Tigger Burn. Unless, of course, we are playing them that week. Otherwise, we look like the jilted lover who can't get over the one she never got.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    Those are some good ideas other than the Tigger Burn. Unless, of course, we are playing them that week. Otherwise, we look like the jilted lover who can't get over the one she never got.
    I agree. The original idea was for students to bring in LSU paraphernalia and that we would burn it at the pep rally next year before the LSU game. Just a random tigger burn would look pathetic. And burning paraphernalia of other football opponents would make the anti-LSU point less salient. The key is to make sure we have decent media coverage. If we're gonna do it, we need to be sure we piss some people off.

+ Reply to Thread