+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non Conference Schedule

Puppy swfloridaboys is an unknown

Non Conference Schedule

Does anyone know who we have confirmed for the nonconference schedule next season.
    If we did a home and home with Alcorn St. that should be completed.
    Are we playing Grambling at their place this next year or was it a one game thing for them to come to us.
    I think we probably will be making a trip to Iowa this next year and hope we keep WKU on the schedule.
    Tennessee should be heading our way but as for Miss St and Ole Miss that should be completed as well if we were just doing a home and home with them.
    Scheduling has to be difficult right now for the staff, no one really wants to head to Ruston to play even with a return game.
    Would be nice to see us get Texas Tech or Texas A&M to come in and Auburn could be a real possibility.
    It would really help out our RPI and strength of schedule if we got some of the bigger teams to play us and really think that our girls could handle the challenge of playing them.
    We almost have to go back to the mindset that out non conference schedule has to be difficult as possible since our conference isn't as strong as we need to get us ready for the post season.
    That isn't a slam on the WAC it is just the facts that our program is ahead of them and we have to find ways to challenge our team to get the back into the elite status.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Non Conference Schedule

I have not seen anything about the schedule yet. It will probably be a while. We now have a 2 for 1 with Tennessee, so we may be back at their place this year.

I think that Grambling was a one time deal, but not sure.

Pretty sure we will go to Iowa. WKU and KState should be coming here.

I hope that we can get a deal with TTech in Dallas soon. T A&M should be workable, as well.

We need as many SEC and B12 schools on our schedule, as possible.

I forgot about K-State, they should be comming to us. I would like to see us get a South Florida or maybe De Paul on the schedule as well. Selfish about a South Florida game since I live in Tampa but the South Florida program is comming along.
    I totally agree that we need as many heavy hitters as possible but would also like to see us throw Old Diminion back in the mix as one of the teams. That was a fun rivalry.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

I would LOVE to see ODU back on our schedule. That is a win/win situation for both programs.

Florida State is, also, an up and coming team. I would like to see them on the schedule, as well. With the WAC having such a low rpi (hoping it will be better next year), we need to dump the Alcorns and Gramblings. We need a super strong OOC schedule to make up for the conference schedule.

Varsity Bulldog gonzajo71 is an unknown

I ws thinking the same thing, Champ. A little nostalgia, but also good for RPI, and SOS, as ODU usually has a very high RPI/SOS, because of the OOC they play.

I agree it would be great to get ODU back on the schedule, if we have road games at Tennessee and Iowa along with Western Kentucky and Kansas State at home.
    If we could add Texas Tech, Auburn, Texas A&M, ODU and maybe Kentucky getting two or three of those games at home that would make for a very good non conference schedule for us.
    That would give us 16 conference games and 9 strong non conference games for us.
    That still leaves room for an additional three games to make 28 games
    We could then even add Louisiana Monroe, Stephen F. Austin and maybe a game with Tulane to round out the season.
    These teams would not help our RPI that much but it wouldn't hurt it either since they play a decent schedule. We shouldn't forget Texas either although Jody isn't too keen on comming to Ruston since we blasted her in the playoffs when KM was still in school.
    Think her exact words were "I will never come back to Ruston, La." Have they ever been back?

Quote Originally Posted by swfloridaboys
    I agree it would be great to get ODU back on the schedule, if we have road games at Tennessee and Iowa along with Western Kentucky and Kansas State at home.
    If we could add Texas Tech, Auburn, Texas A&M, ODU and maybe Kentucky getting two or three of those games at home that would make for a very good non conference schedule for us.
    That would give us 16 conference games and 9 strong non conference games for us.
    That still leaves room for an additional three games to make 28 games
    We could then even add Louisiana Monroe, Stephen F. Austin and maybe a game with Tulane to round out the season.
    These teams would not help our RPI that much but it wouldn't hurt it either since they play a decent schedule. We shouldn't forget Texas either although Jody isn't too keen on comming to Ruston since we blasted her in the playoffs when KM was still in school.
    Think her exact words were "I will never come back to Ruston, La." Have they ever been back?
    ulm would hurt our rpi, the same as some other teams that we play now. The key is to get teams that are from the big conferences. Those help us, if we win, and even can help us if we slip up and lose it. RPI is an amazingly complicated formula. However, if you lose a game to a low rpi team, you are REALLY hurt.

Varsity Bulldog nevester is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    ulm would hurt our rpi, the same as some other teams that we play now. The key is to get teams that are from the big conferences. Those help us, if we win, and even can help us if we slip up and lose it. RPI is an amazingly complicated formula. However, if you lose a game to a low rpi team, you are REALLY hurt.
    But remember, this year they really don't look at RPI :icon_wink Western Kentucky proved that. In all seriousness though, I am beginning to wonder if anything can make the committee happy. Look at the accomplishment's this year as compared to last:
    26-5 this year 20-10 last
    Ranked in polls this year Not ranked last year
    Outright won the WAC this year Shared title last year
    Won Wac tourny this year Lost last year
    Had one of the top 30 toughest out of conference schedule this year
    Went 15-1 in our last 16 games this year Not sure about last year but lost many we were not supposed to lose

And despite all that, we still got the same seed as last year, 11. The mysteries of the committee, one may never figure them out.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

After what happened to WKU, I wouldn't worry about scheduling for RPI. We should play as many tough teams as possible, however, simply to get ready for the conference and NCAA tourneys. I would schedule NLU because they are better than most WAC teams and they would draw an impressive attendance. Maybe they would play two in Ruston for one in Monroe (or 3 for 2). It would be nice also to have local road games to compensate for the grueling WAC travel.
    ________
    Lovely Wendie99
    Last edited by LT; 05-05-2011 at 12:32 AM.

The problem is that as soon as we don't schedule for rpi, they will change the rules again. ughghghgh

Isn't there a new committee next year?

If we play 9 strong non conference games we can afford to have a ULM on our schedule. That is good for the community. I am still not sure why we don't play them in all sports.
    They are at least playing teams from Conference USA and they played New Mexico this past year. I know they don't have a strong RPI but I think they would be much better for us to play than a Grambling or Alcorn St.

If we play 9 strong non conference games we can afford to have a ULM on our schedule. That is good for the community. I am still not sure why we don't play them in all sports.
    They are at least playing teams from Conference USA and they played New Mexico this past year. I know they don't have a strong RPI but I think they would be much better for us to play than a Grambling or Alcorn St.
    Why? Grambling is closer and could be a fun game, if we chose a time when their football team wasn't in the playoffs like this year. Alcorn won their conference last year. I really don't see anything that ulm brings to the table in any sport.

Sun Belt Conference vs SWAC
    there is no comparison on which conference has more of a status.
    Now if Grambling will start to play the nonconference schedule that ULM plays and gets a couple wins against them then yes I agree lets play them on a yearly basis.
    ULM didn't play a great non conference schedule but they did play a couple SEC teams and a couple Conference USA schools along with a Mountain West team.
    Grambling played Arkansas and Nebraska but that was it for tough teams on the non conference besides us.
    ULM played Memphis, UAB, Southern Miss, SMU New Mexico and Crieghton. That isn't a great schedule but at least played quality conference programs.

Sun Belt Conference vs SWAC
    there is no comparison on which conference has more of a status.
    Now if Grambling will start to play the nonconference schedule that ULM plays and gets a couple wins against them then yes I agree lets play them on a yearly basis.
    ULM didn't play a great non conference schedule but they did play a couple SEC teams and a couple Conference USA schools along with a Mountain West team.
    Grambling played Arkansas and Nebraska but that was it for tough teams on the non conference besides us.
    ULM played Memphis, UAB, Southern Miss, SMU New Mexico and Crieghton. That isn't a great schedule but at least played quality conference programs.
    Where did they place in the Belt this year? I am being serious, not sarcastic.

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110
    Where did they place in the Belt this year? I am being serious, not sarcastic.
    ULM was in the Southland Conference this year, not the Sun Belt.

+ Reply to Thread