+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Gator Jamboree

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

'Gator Jamboree

I'm posting this in the baseball forum because it happened on my way home from the pitching clinic Matt Lacy held today, otherwise known as the Tech-FSU baseball game on 4-15.

Anyway, I am walking up Tech Drive beside Memorial Gym, getting ready to cross to the Carruthers parking lot where my car is parked. I see a critter running across the parking lot that, for some reason, strikes me as a big squirrel dragging a piece of trash. Once this delusion subsides, my childhood in the lakes around Orlando, Florida, flashes to mind and I realize that it is an alligator.

I pull out my cell phone and call Tech Police and tell the dispatcher, "Hey, I'm at Carruthers parking lot and I think I see an alligator." "An alligator?" he asks. "Yes, an alligator. Or maybe a piece of trash blown by the wind. Let me cross over and check."

So I cross Tech Drive, and once I'm within about 50 yards it is abundantly clear that this is an alligator, about 4 feet long. So I confirm this to the dispatcher, and I decide to "stand guard." So a couple of Tech Police cruisers show up, and get out and radio in that this is, in fact an alligator, and so they call animal control.

While we are waiting, they, of course, start calling all their cop friends. All told we ended up with 11 Tech Police and Ruston Police cruisers on the scene, standing in a circle around this alligator, taking pictures with camera phones. I asked every single one of them, and they said they had never responded to an alligator call before, except one lady who had worked in south Louisiana.

Now a 4' gator is an odd creature. I mean, he's not so big that you're all that scared of him, but he's big enough that you don't really want to just go grabbing at him. So we all kept our distance, scooting in to 4-5 feet now and then to get a picture with our cell phones.

Well, one of the Tech cops decides, based on what he's learned from "Crocodile Hunter," (he really did say that's where he learned this) that the best thing to do is to get something to throw over its head, to subdue it. So he goes digging around in his trunk and comes up with a shop rag, you know those 8" by 8" towlettes you use to wipe the oil off your dipstick when checking the oil in your car. Now this particular officer is, how shall I put it...large. I mean tall and broad. So he proceeds to start creeping up behind the alligator, shop rag extended and blowing in the wind, like some sort of oversized, underdressed matador. He finally decides that with the wind so strong, even if he manages to get the rag on the gator's head, it's not gonna stay there.

So, after about 20 minutes of photo ops and so forth, the alligator, which has been playing dead, shoots his little leg out, causing all of us to jump about 3 feet. He stays there a few more minutes, then jumps up and comes barrelling toward me. I scoot out of the way, and then he turns 90 degrees and goes after one of Ruston's finest.

About that time the animal control guy pulls in with his hi-tech equipment: a carboard box of the type that styrofoam cups come in at Sam's. He was also wearing shorts and slip-on sandals. He appraised the situation, commented that this was a "good-sized alligator" (not sure what he thought it was a good size for), and began to implement Plan A.

Plan A, as it turns out, was to make a frontal assault on the alligator and "scoop" him into the coffee-cup box, while we corralled him from behind. Surprisingly :icon_roll, the alligator didn't really want to get scooped into a coffe-cup box, and started chomping side to side at our legs as he made his best attempt at a backward scramble. At this point, the shop-rag officer decides to cut the alligator's retreat by stepping on his tail, apparently not realizing that this is his strongest muscle. So, with his tail pinned to the ground (for leverage), the alligator reels up, all legs clearing the ground, and tries to latch onto the officer's thigh. I have to say, despite his generous size, this officer has a pretty decent vertical jump.

Having learned his lesson, the officer finally pulls out his retractable night stick, and uses that to herd the alligator into the box. We asked the animal control guy what he was going to do with it. He said he'd try to find a place to release it--after he drove it home and showed it to his kids. :icon_wink

I wish that I had had a video camera there, or that at least there was a better storyteller with me to recount our adventure. Maybe one of the cruisers had their video running. I'm pretty sure we could have gotten a prize on America's Funniest Home Videos for the dance that officer did after he stepped on the gator's tail!

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Re: 'Gator Jamboree

That is awesome, post the pics if you can. Now people back home really wont believe me when i say alligators and swamps arent all over the entire state!

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

That is a funny story. Our family gathered around the computer to read the story. It has special significance to us because that alligator obviously lived very close to our house. In fact, the most likely place he could have lived was in the ravine behind our house. I'm glad he didn't decide our cat was dinner.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

You did a great job of telling the story, Brian. Funny stuff.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Great story Brian.

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

That is awesome. I would love to see some pics! If you have any of the cop trying to step on the tail or jumping that would be nice. I know some of those guys and it would be nice to pick on them about it.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firedog
    That is awesome. I would love to see some pics! If you have any of the cop trying to step on the tail or jumping that would be nice. I know some of those guys and it would be nice to pick on them about it.
    Almost everybody there was taking pictures with their cell phones, and at least one RPD guy took pictures with a regular digital camera (a thin white guy with blond hair and a Ranger-like crew cut--sorry, I didn't get any names).

I can't figure out how to get the pictures off my phone. I have Verizon, and it won't let me send data when I'm in Ruston. I'll post them if I ever figure it out.

Glad y'all enjoyed the story!

Champ steltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the roughsteltz is a jewel in the rough steltz's Avatar

Brian I lived 200 yards from an alligator and turtle farm called Klibert's (KLEE-BEARS), made famous by the real world cast of New Orleans visiting it during one of their expeditions, for 10 exciting years. I have story after story to tell about run ins with alligators (up to 14 feet).

I have to say that yours was a pretty good story and you did a great job telling it. My favorite part of the story was the "Coffee-cup Box" haha. I could just see all the cops in Ruston standing around it and staring. Thanks for the laugh

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

Great Story, Brian, and a great job telling it.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Wonder if Ruston has a "state certified" alligator man, like we do over here in Ouachita Parish. Charlie the Gator Man is a bank executive in West Monroe and gets calls all the time.

Great story-telling, Brian.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix
    Wonder if Ruston has a "state certified" alligator man, like we do over here in Ouachita Parish. Charlie the Gator Man is a bank executive in West Monroe and gets calls all the time.

Great story-telling, Brian.
    T-mo -

Whats the odds he lived UNDER JAS?

Pretty good I bet -

There is a nice size gator in Caney Lake north of Minden - nice enough to yank/pop a whole METAL stringer of fish....

Now the biguns are behind the Smith Marine place (OLD Tide craft plant) west of town - see a few that approach 12 to 14 ft....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

CRAP!! I thought that was you Brian. I parked right in front of Caruthers and I saw about 7 Cops there. I was semi curious and drove by. I saw everyone looking at the ground and nobody was within 15 feet of this 'object' on the ground. Little did I know that it was a GATOR! That must have been AWESOME! I drove by twice and saw the guy taking pictures with the dig camera and just figured it something from a car that might have gotten broken into and I left. You SUCK! You didn't mention the few sheriff's that arrived as well.

Oh yea... and I'm glad to hear that everyone made it out of that safely.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

good story, and a good job telling it.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ DAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond reputeDAWG DUDE has a reputation beyond repute DAWG DUDE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden
    T-mo -

Whats the odds he lived UNDER JAS?

Pretty good I bet -

There is a nice size gator in Caney Lake north of Minden - nice enough to yank/pop a whole METAL stringer of fish....

Now the biguns are behind the Smith Marine place (OLD Tide craft plant) west of town - see a few that approach 12 to 14 ft....
    DFM, I live in Minden. We go out to Caney in the summer..now I'm going to be afraid of the gator that lives there .

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by DAWG DUDE
    DFM, I live in Minden. We go out to Caney in the summer..now I'm going to be afraid of the gator that lives there .
    He is a good 8ft to 10 ft -

He stays up towards the upper end of the lake directly across from the old swimming area -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

+ Reply to Thread