+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Gator Jamboree

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Re: 'Gator Jamboree

Brian, I'm channeling Comedian Tim Bedore. If you ever get the chance to listen to the Bob and Tom show, then I'm sure that you've heard this. He has a weekly spot called the Vague but True.

This is an absolutly hilarious clip. Take a listen:
    http://www.comedycontact.com/bedore.html and click "Animal Conspiracy"

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Okay, so I'm walking home to Vetville and as I'm passing the pond in front of Lomax Hall I spot another little alligator. My cell phone was dead, so I flagged down a Tech cop, who called another cop. Both of them had also responded to the one in the story that started this thread.

Anyway, apart from the irony of my finding another alligator on campus, somebody who wandered by to see what was going on said that they had read in the Leader that a 'gator had been caught up by the Episcopal Church and the writer said that they ended up putting it in one of Tech's ponds. Apparently they really did.

Does anybody know anything about this? I'm pretty ticked about it. This is the pond next to the garden there, the one with the fountain and everything. My father-in-law takes my 1 year old and my 3 year old down there every day, and I know other small children play there as well. The police said that they would tell their supervisor about it, but that they probably wouldn't call the wildlife folks until the 'gator started causing problems. It's bad enough that the police aren't all that concerned, but I really don't understand why someone would deliberately put an alligator in that pond. It's not like this is some pond in the country or something. There is a sidewalk that runs through part of the pond and a little deck on the pond--clearly a place that is likely to have people hanging around.
    Are you sure this is the pond that they would have put a captured gator in? There are two large ponds a good ways from the stall area of Tech farm that are nowhere near the buildings and garden area. One of them is more like a small lake. These ponds are probably more than a half mile from the black top roads around Tech Farm.

If they had any sense at all, that is were gators would be placed on Tech Farm. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember being told several years ago that there were gators in those ponds.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    Are you sure this is the pond that they would have put a captured gator in? There are two large ponds a good ways from the stall area of Tech farm that are nowhere near the buildings and garden area. One of them is more like a small lake. These ponds are probably more than a half mile from the black top roads around Tech Farm.

If they had any sense at all, that is were gators would be placed on Tech Farm. I'm not sure, but I seem to remember being told several years ago that there were gators in those ponds.
    That's what I think, too. There are several ponds that would be more appropriate. I don't know for sure that this is the pond they put the gator in, but it is quite a coincidence that this gator suddenly appears after the paper reports somebody put a gator in one of Tech's ponds.

This gator doesn't seem to leave this pond. Every time I go by, regardless of the time of day, he's either in the pond or on the bank. He doesn't even seem to venture over to the other pond just a few feet away.

Tech police continue to say that they will do something when the gator "becomes a problem." I'm not sure what kind of problem they are waiting for it to become.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

That's what I think, too. There are several ponds that would be more appropriate. I don't know for sure that this is the pond they put the gator in, but it is quite a coincidence that this gator suddenly appears after the paper reports somebody put a gator in one of Tech's ponds.

This gator doesn't seem to leave this pond. Every time I go by, regardless of the time of day, he's either in the pond or on the bank. He doesn't even seem to venture over to the other pond just a few feet away.

Tech police continue to say that they will do something when the gator "becomes a problem." I'm not sure what kind of problem they are waiting for it to become.
    You might want to beat the Tech PD to the punch and call Wildlife and Fisheries. They will generally move a gator that is a potential threat to the public.

Varsity Bulldog Junky has turned a few heads around hereJunky has turned a few heads around hereJunky has turned a few heads around here

My old high school has a pond on campus that is home to 3 alligators, back down south. It wasn't a big deal to us, till I went to Tech and no one believes me....

great story though, if Tech PD can't get an animal control guy, or wildlife and fisheries, call me, i'll help round him up.

Brian:

I thought about you and this thread recently.

I received a text from my son last week that "the electricity is off at the house... and there is an alligator in the pond"

We live between Tech Farm and Lake Reneau and have a 3 acre pond in our back yard. We have owned our property for 12 years and have seen all kind of critters even though we are well within the city limits.

We have seen deer, fox, wolves, owls, beavers, snakes, great blue heron, hawks, ducks... pretty much everything that you could imagine in Louisiana except for an alligator or a bear. Guess a bear is next.

The gator is about 5 feet long. Did you get the name of the matador Tech Cop?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Brian:

I received a text from my son last week that "the electricity is off at the house... and there is an alligator in the pond"

We live between Tech Farm and Lake Reneau and have a 3 acre pond in our back yard. We have owned our property for 12 years and have seen all kind of critters even though we are well within the city limits.

We have seen deer, fox, wolves, owls, beavers, snakes, great blue heron, hawks, ducks... pretty much everything that you could imagine in Louisiana except for an alligator or a bear. Guess a bear is next.

Three years ago a bear roamed through Ruston. It started its day at the Holiday Inn Express and made its way into town. They finally found him up in a tree behind the Louisiana Center for the Blind and shot him down with a tranq gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Three years ago a bear roamed through Ruston. It started its day at the Holiday Inn Express and made its way into town. They finally found him up in a tree behind the Louisiana Center for the Blind and shot him down with a tranq gun.
    I remember hearing about the bear. Did it really make it into downtown Ruston?
    I have a lot of friends that would have been fighting to get in on that hunt.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

I remember hearing about the bear. Did it really make it into downtown Ruston?
    I have a lot of friends that would have been fighting to get in on that hunt.
    Yes! I believe it was first spotted at the entrance to the Holiday Inn Express around 6:30am, and it wasn't tranqed at the Louisiana Center for the Blind until 10:30am! Every time somebody would spot the bear it would disappear before the wildlife animal control guys could get there. haha

Varsity Bulldog aggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud ofaggiedawg has much to be proud of aggiedawg's Avatar

Brian:

You must live by Cypress Springs Lake? I remember catching a gator there when I was younger. Right behind Judge Bleich's house.

Quote Originally Posted by aggiedawg View Post
    You must live by Cypress Springs Lake? I remember catching a gator there when I was younger. Right behind Judge Bleich's house.
    Close, but a little further East. My pond eventually feeds into the same stream that Cypress Springs flows into. It all flows to D'arbonne and there are some giant gators in D'Arbonne Creek and Corney. I have heard stories of some 15 footers up there. I assume they could come this way too. Several years ago, Wildlife and Fisheries caught a twelve foot alligator by the bridge on Kentucky that is closest to Cedar Creek. I saw that one... it filled up the bed of a full size pick-up truck.

I never saw a gator in Joe's pond, but it doesn't surprise me. There were some snaky looking coves in that pond.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Brian:

Didn't get the cop's name, sorry.

A couple of days ago a friend of mine from a place I used to live in Georgia had photos on his FB page of a gator he killed in his pond. It, too was about 5 ft. He was fishing with his daughter and hooked it. When he was cleaning it, he found a hook and line from where he had hooked the same gator a year ago.

Didn't get the cop's name, sorry.

A couple of days ago a friend of mine from a place I used to live in Georgia had photos on his FB page of a gator he killed in his pond. It, too was about 5 ft. He was fishing with his daughter and hooked it. When he was cleaning it, he found a hook and line from where he had hooked the same gator a year ago.
    Dang... I was going to get some video of the round-up this time.

Puppy CameronCameron is an unknown

good post, thanks for post

Puppy PNPretired isn't thought very highly of around herePNPretired isn't thought very highly of around herePNPretired isn't thought very highly of around here

You should have called the Tech Shortstop, Ryan Gebhardt. He's been catching alligators since he was about ten....or younger.

+ Reply to Thread