+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bradshaw's Javelin Record

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Bradshaw's Javelin Record

I was looking at the News Star online and the 5a State Track winners this year. The 5A javelin winner threw that stick 210 feet, seemingly a strong throw, beating the second place finisher by 5 feet.

40 years ago a young man in Shreveport threw the javelin 243 feet 7 inches. Utterly amazing.

Puppy CCSLUDGE isn't thought very highly of around hereCCSLUDGE isn't thought very highly of around hereCCSLUDGE isn't thought very highly of around here

Re: Bradshaw's Javelin Record

The javelin has been modified since then.

Big Dog rbhtech is on top of his/her gamerbhtech is on top of his/her gamerbhtech is on top of his/her gamerbhtech is on top of his/her gamerbhtech is on top of his/her gamerbhtech is on top of his/her gamerbhtech is on top of his/her gamerbhtech is on top of his/her gamerbhtech is on top of his/her gamerbhtech is on top of his/her gamerbhtech is on top of his/her game rbhtech's Avatar

How far did Patrick Ramsey throw it?

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CCSLUDGE
    The javelin has been modified since then.
    You beat me to it. Throws today are basically reduced 10% by the new design, so that throw measures up pretty nice. I think they altered the design because the form was getting so good that it was in danger of not being able to be held within the field.

Someone can correct if those guesses at facts are wrong. That was before my time.

Big Dog Memdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really nice Memdawg's Avatar

COACHDAWG!!!!!

Where are you when we need you???? When did they modify the spear??

Didn't that Steve Stockton guy from Tioga, break Bradshaw's record??

Dang that was 26 years ago!!!!

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rbhtech
    How far did Patrick Ramsey throw it?
    i can't remember exactly what pat threw his senior year, but it the top throw in the country at around 235.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Varsity Bulldog Coachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Memdawg
    COACHDAWG!!!!!

I do not know to all of the above. I left Louisiana track in 1984 and at that time the javline had not been modified. I haven't coached a javline thrower since then. We do not throw the javline in Texas high school track.

If I remember correctly and correct me if I am wrong, Mick, but didn't Terry Bradshaw throw the javline 244' at Louisiana Tech while he was in high school? I don't know, maybe I'm dreaming but seems like he did.

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

MAXIE-I am not sure about the throw at Tech. However, I saw him with my own two eyes throw the spear 234 feet at a track meet at Bolton High School when he was still at Woodlawn HS. Never seen anything like it!

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Memdawg
    COACHDAWG!!!!!

Kyle,

My old man said he thought it was the mid 80s, but couldn't remember specifics. He blamed that on the rapid onset of old age.

Here is the best I could do with a Google search. This is from Wikipedia.org.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javelin_throw

Javelin redesigns

In 1986, the men's javelin (800 g) was redesigned because of the prodigious distances being thrown culminating in a world record throw of over 104m by the then East German thrower, Uwe Höhn. The javelin throw was in danger of being banished to outside the arena on safety grounds so the javelin was redesigned so that the centre of gravity was moved further away from the centre of pressure (the point at which the aerodynamic forces of lift and drag act) so that the javelin had a downward pitching moment. This brings the nose down earlier, reducing the flight distance by around 10% and also causing the javelin to stick in. In 1999, the women's javelin (600g) was similarly redesigned.

Modifications that manufacturers made to recover some of the lost distance, by increasing tail drag (using holes, rough paint or dimples), were outlawed at the end of 1991 and marks made using implements with such modifications removed from the record books.

Math never was my strongest subject, but I believe that 104 meters is longer than 104 yards. That's a pretty good toss.

Big Dog RGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the rough

By memory a meter is about .9144 of a yard. So meters are actually shorter.

However, 104 meters is approx 285 feet, which is one heck of a throw.

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

A meter is 1.0936 yards

104 m is 341 ft.

TDF

Big Dog Memdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really niceMemdawg is just really nice Memdawg's Avatar

TDF gets the prize!!!

+ Reply to Thread