+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giant step closer

Champ falcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her game falcon's Avatar

Baseball Giant step closer

ESPN announced the 64 regional selections today.There are 8 teams in the field that we played....Miss St....Arkansas...Michigan....Fresno....Southern Miss....Baylor...Hawaii...UT-Arlington. We had wins against 7 of the 8 and Arkansas had to come from behind to beat us in Fayetteville 10-9 in game 1. From 17 wins in 2005 to 33 wins in 2006 is the kind of step closer to Omaha that we will need to make again each year. Hawaii is a scrappy team that had our number in the month of May....they almost single-handedly beat us out of a regional selection. I will root for them in the regionals, but go back to despising them come nex't season We can win 40 games nex't year and have a great shot at winning the conference.The plan is to get into the regionals nex't year and to Omaha when our super freshman class will be in their Junior year.The MLB draft will hurt us after that so let's hope the recruiting continues to be excellent.I believe coach Sim's plan is right on schedule. GO DAWGS !!!!!

Champ Jen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really nice Jen_Leigh's Avatar

Re: Giant step closer

AMEN TO THAT!!!!

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

The six games Tech lost to Sacramento State and New Mexico State in April and May did more to knock Tech out of an NCAA bid than the six losses to Hawai'i did.

Very important that Tech maintain the momentum from 2006 into 2007 to get the winning tradition reestablished.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

La Tech baseball has a great future in store. I'm so impressed with what hard work and a positive attitude can do. Not to slight the quality of the coachs and players, but I feel that the work ethic and attitude has a lot to do with success. Perhaps we can use this to influence other areas to improve! Congrats to La Tech Baseball.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!!!

JFord

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck
    The six games Tech lost to Sacramento State and New Mexico State in April and May did more to knock Tech out of an NCAA bid than the six losses to Hawai'i did.

Very important that Tech maintain the momentum from 2006 into 2007 to get the winning tradition reestablished.
    Team improved, is still very young, and will be younger next season as we will have fewer seniors (Alsup, Hudson, Rupert if healthy, Bascle), especially as full time position players. As I understand it, we only have Goulder returning in IF at 1B next year. Everyone else will be new as a starter. OF appears intact.

However, always good to see sophomores become juniors and freshman become sophomores. I was impressed with Fresno and Hawaii's senior and junior experienced and talented pitchers. I see that kind of future ahead for us over the next 2-3 years as we have a good base to build on. I think we will maintain the momentum in 2007, just may not win a lot more games than we did this year, but be better come tournament time, and look out for 2008 and beyond. It will be another young and fun team to watch next year with some talent to watch grow.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

We definitely had some high spots this season that give us much hope. We swept Fresno State and they ended the season as a Top 20 team.

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

[quote=Designated Hitter]As I understand it, we only have Goulder returning in IF at 1B next year. Everyone else will be new as a starter. quote]

Kersten, Winn, and Greunwald all got playing time as freshmen at 3B, 2B, and SS. I assume they are the favorites to start there, but surely they will have competition from new players and other returning players.

Just looking at stats, all 3 seemed to handle the bat pretty well. I know the three guys they will be trying to replace were very valuable.

How good can we expect those 3 to be?

Puppy Bruiser is an unknown

Is it true that both Hudson and Alsup might graduate at the end of the fall or winter quarter? This can't be good.

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bruiser
    Is it true that both Hudson and Alsup might graduate at the end of the fall or winter quarter? This can't be good.
    If they are, they can start grad school or just take random classes and still play next year.

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

[quote=JAY]
    Quote Originally Posted by Designated Hitter
    As I understand it, we only have Goulder returning in IF at 1B next year. Everyone else will be new as a starter. quote]

Kersten, Winn, and Greunwald all got playing time as freshmen at 3B, 2B, and SS. I assume they are the favorites to start there, but surely they will have competition from new players and other returning players.

Just looking at stats, all 3 seemed to handle the bat pretty well. I know the three guys they will be trying to replace were very valuable.

It will be interesting when they have to play a full season and have a lot more ABs against good team's pitchers. Life can change some after that and teams get more reports on full-time hitters strengths and weaknesses. Batting averages tend to come down uder those scenarios, but doesn't mean they won't still be decent hitters full season as starters.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

[quote=JAY]
    As I understand it, we only have Goulder returning in IF at 1B next year. Everyone else will be new as a starter. quote]

The 3 guys you mentioned should turn out good for us. Grunenwald was the 2005 Gatorade Player of the Year in Wisconsin AND 2005 Louisville Slugger Player of the Year in Wisconsin.

Winn is sound defensively as so I have been told

and Kersten Finished as a three time first team all-conference, two time first team all-area, and one time first team all-state… Named Hutchinson New Pitcher of the Year… Played in the Kansas All-Star Game… Batted .604 his senior season with three HR’s, 27 RBI… Went 8-1 as a pitcher with 0.87 ERA, and 90 SO’s in 55 innings…

Of course these are all high school stats, but I believe Sim recruited players who will fit in his system and who can play at the D-1 level.
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

[quote=Designated Hitter]
    Quote Originally Posted by JAY

It will be interesting when they have to play a full season and have a lot more ABs against good team's pitchers. Life can change some after that and teams get more reports on full-time hitters strengths and weaknesses. Batting averages tend to come down uder those scenarios, but doesn't mean they won't still be decent hitters full season as starters.
    DH,

Do you think Alsup or Hudson could be lost to the draft? I have not had time to ask my scout friends and have no thoughts on this.

Either of these would be a huge loss, but Alsup seems to be the only one that would be drafted high.

Martie

Puppy KDawg is an unknown

[quote=MichiganDawg]

DH,

Do you think Alsup or Hudson could be lost to the draft? I have not had time to ask my scout friends and have no thoughts on this.

Either of these would be a huge loss, but Alsup seems to be the only one that would be drafted high.

Martie
    I think Alsup would be the one who might get drafted but probably not high enough to sign,IMO. Hudson is a very good college hitter but he doesn't hit with a whole lot of power and he doesn't have good speed. If he was a 13-18 home run guy I think he would have a chance. What you get with Hudson is just a bunch of base hits, nothing wrong with that.

[quote=MichiganDawg]

DH,

Martie
    No

+ Reply to Thread