+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who do you want the Saints to draft?

2006 ESPN Mr. Bracket "T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice "T"'s Avatar

Re: Who do you want the Saints to draft?

I love how Mel can wait untill everyone has already figured out who will be drafted where and then come out with his predictions... end up be wrong.. and we still call him the draft expert? Has anybody else noticed that? Hmm... maybe if Fox's real thing is the draft, he could take over for Mel once he's finally gone!

"T"

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T
    I love how Mel can wait untill everyone has already figured out who will be drafted where and then come out with his predictions... end up be wrong.. and we still call him the draft expert? Has anybody else noticed that? Hmm... maybe if Fox's real thing is the draft, he could take over for Mel once he's finally gone!

"T"
    Maybe one day just dont have the hair

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

I am not at all convinced about M. Williams, he had a great last half of the season, but I have heard that scouts are divided over him as well. If the Saints keep the pick go ahead and get Davis. Seems like he is a can't miss in everyone's book. Plus Brees knows how to use a great TE.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown
    I am not at all convinced about M. Williams, he had a great last half of the season, but I have heard that scouts are divided over him as well. If the Saints keep the pick go ahead and get Davis. Seems like he is a can't miss in everyone's book. Plus Brees knows how to use a great TE.
    I had that same thought this afternoon. Physically, Davis is more impressive than Gates...could he be the next Antonio Gates? He certainly has just as much potential (more in my mind) than Kellen Winslow had. I know Winslow didn't pan out, but that was due to injury. It sure would be an interesting pick.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

Mario Williams is the highest rated end to come out since Bruce Smith...Sounds pretty good to me. I wouldnt mind trading down and getting Davis though. I'll be happy with the picks in this order.
    1. Mario Williams
    2. A.J. Hawk
    3.Vernon Davis
    4.D Brickashaw Ferguson
    bonus-anyway we get Reggie Bush!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrew
    Mario Williams is the highest rated end to come out since Bruce Smith...Sounds pretty good to me. I wouldnt mind trading down and getting Davis though. I'll be happy with the picks in this order.
    1. Mario Williams
    2. A.J. Hawk
    3.Vernon Davis
    4.D Brickashaw Ferguson
    What's up with fox's unmitigated hate of linemen? I guess it's the radio guy in you...not much of a story with a guy who simply works hard and does his job...no sacks, no td's, no int's. :icon_wink

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

1. Mario Williams
    2. A.J. Hawk
    3.Vernon Davis
    4.D Brickashaw Ferguson
    I would put Hawk and D'Brick before Williams. We already have two solid to good DEs. The Saints do not need to take another d-lineman. that is what we have drafted for the last 5 years and look where it has gotten us. I would take
    1. Hawk
    2. D'Brick
    3. Williams
    4. Davis.

If they try to pigeon hole us at number two, I take Leinart and pawn him off.

If I were the Texans I would trade the number one to the Jets, and ask for the best o-lineman they have & get D'Brick at that spot. If I couldnt get D'Brick, I would get the best lineman I could with the 2nd round pick the Jets would also give me and take one of the defensive studs at 4 or Davis. The Texans need O-line O-line help, plain and simple. I dont care if they had Jim Brown running and Marino chunking the rock, with their crappy o-line they would never be good on O. I use last year as a perfect example. You put that Offense behind a decent o-line and they are pretty dang good with Andre Johnson, Davis and Carr. Behind that line, worst in the league.

Will Smith is a player but Charles Grant only had 2 sacks last year...You can never have to many good Pass Rushers. I really like Mario.

Johnny- i think Brick will be solid(no pun intended) I just dont like the pick at 2. If they trade down to 4 or below I say take him.

Johnny- i think Brick will be solid(no pun intended) I just dont like the pick at 2. If they trade down to 4 or below I say take him.
    I don't personally like any of my favorites at 2. I think Huss may be right. If we get stuck with 2, draft Leinert and pawn him off for some good stuff.

PS: Did anybody see that Leinert had a 37 inch vertical? I was impressed.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Finally Davis is getting love from someone other than me.

JL I think the thing about oline is there is not as much of a drop off after the Brick as there is for Williams, Hawk, or Davis. You can still get a quality Olineman in the second round but you will not see another end like Williams. I know Saints have a history of drafting 1st round ends but a player like Williams is hard to pass up.

Now with that said I rank my top 3 as Williams, Davis, Hawk. I was a Hawk fan and I don't think the Saints can go wrong with him. But is he good enough to justify taking in the top 5? Something someone brought up to me recently was Derrick Johnson was taken at number 15 last year and he is a better linebacker than Hawk. Is it worth it to take a player like Hawk in the top 5?

dhuss why would the Texans take Brick in the top 5 while giving up Reggie when they could just as easily take a quality OL in round 2 or 3? We all know they need help on the line to protect Carr but they know they can get that help later in the draft without having to give up a player like Bush.

Well Juice, obviously you and I disagree about the drop after Brick...especially after Justice. The texans would draft him to address their biggest need, the o-line. I say we trade with the Raiders and take whoever is left. If none of them are left, we make sure the deal is so sweet that it doesn't matter. If we trade with the raiders, I imagine at least on of the big guns will still be there. Either way, Saturday will be interesting.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752

dhuss why would the Texans take Brick in the top 5 while giving up Reggie when they could just as easily take a quality OL in round 2 or 3? We all know they need help on the line to protect Carr but they know they can get that help later in the draft without having to give up a player like Bush.
    They are going with the old adage of draft the best player. Reggie is the best player, just not for the Texans. They cannot go wrong by drafting Bush, Lord knows it is the best thing financially for them, definitely short term. Drafting an OL or TE isnt as sexy as drafting a RB, we know this. Thing is, if they really want to be good, the would upgrade that line. Bush is going to be good, but Dominick Davis is pretty dang good also. That wont be that big of an upgrade for them, IMO. If they can trade the pick to the Jets, get their best O-lineman, get their fourth pick and their second round pick. They can take Davis, possibly Williams, Hawk, or maybe D'Brick at 4. If they dont want D'Brick, there will be some other good lineman in the early second round.

In summary, they can get a veteran o-lineman from the Jets, an offensive play maker in Davis or a defensive guy, and then they can get another young O-lineman in the early second round. I think the Jets might would give up that much, I dont know. Business wise, short-term maybe not that good because they will miss out on all that Reggie money, but if they can build a winner long term, it might not be that bad. Especially if this Davis kid could be the next Gates.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg
    They are going with the old adage of draft the best player. Reggie is the best player, just not for the Texans. They cannot go wrong by drafting Bush, Lord knows it is the best thing financially for them, definitely short term. Drafting an OL or TE isnt as sexy as drafting a RB, we know this. Thing is, if they really want to be good, the would upgrade that line. Bush is going to be good, but Dominick Davis is pretty dang good also. That wont be that big of an upgrade for them, IMO. If they can trade the pick to the Jets, get their best O-lineman, get their fourth pick and their second round pick. They can take Davis, possibly Williams, Hawk, or maybe D'Brick at 4. If they dont want D'Brick, there will be some other good lineman in the early second round.

In summary, they can get a veteran o-lineman from the Jets, an offensive play maker in Davis or a defensive guy, and then they can get another young O-lineman in the early second round. I think the Jets might would give up that much, I dont know. Business wise, short-term maybe not that good because they will miss out on all that Reggie money, but if they can build a winner long term, it might not be that bad. Especially if this Davis kid could be the next Gates.
    I agree with the drafting lineman second round. I also agree Bush is not the position they need but he makes their team better and helps create more buzz. But the one thing I am curious about is what is the opinion of Texas about Bush right now? He "stole" the Heisman from the Vince Young while possibly recieving benefits to play. Could there be an uproar if the Texans take Bush or are the Texans worried about an uproar? That we will figure out soon.

Also Davis to Gates comparisons are wrong. Davis is too short to be a player like Gates. He can be more like Tony G or Winslow.

Anyone got any info on the Javon Walker stuff? I heard he is visiting New Orleans trying to get a possible trade but for that Saints would have to give up their second round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752

Also Davis to Gates comparisons are wrong. Davis is too short to be a player like Gates. He can be more like Tony G or Winslow.
    I was speaking of game-changing ability, I dont know his measurables. I know one measurable he has that no other TE does, a 4.38 forty. I have never heard Gates time, but there is no way. This guy seems more like David Boston than anybody to me, just hopefully he isnt as stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg

I think Davis is the best of the TE's but it's a really strong year for TE's(best i can remember) your gonna get a quality one in the first 3 rounds!
    Top 5 TE's-Fox's opinion
    1. Vernon Davis-Mayland
    2. Leonard Pope-Georgia
    3.Mercedes Lewis-UCLA
    4.David Thomas-Texas( more of an H-Back)
    5.Joe Kloppenstein-Colorado

Couple others to look out for Byrd from USC and Garret Mills from Tulsa( more of an H-Back)

+ Reply to Thread