+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Barber dismissed

Puppy Akbil is a jewel in the roughAkbil is a jewel in the roughAkbil is a jewel in the roughAkbil is a jewel in the roughAkbil is a jewel in the roughAkbil is a jewel in the roughAkbil is a jewel in the roughAkbil is a jewel in the roughAkbil is a jewel in the roughAkbil is a jewel in the roughAkbil is a jewel in the rough

Mike Barber dismissed

Mike Barber dismissed from Grace Prep.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...l.15b4206.html

Big Dog rbhtech is on top of his/her gamerbhtech is on top of his/her gamerbhtech is on top of his/her gamerbhtech is on top of his/her gamerbhtech is on top of his/her gamerbhtech is on top of his/her gamerbhtech is on top of his/her gamerbhtech is on top of his/her gamerbhtech is on top of his/her gamerbhtech is on top of his/her gamerbhtech is on top of his/her game rbhtech's Avatar

Re: Mike Barber dismissed

Sounds like he's a pretty good coach. 5 rings is not bad.

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Bring him home!

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

He should have been home a long time ago. I think he even coached receivers at the JC in Monroe for a while. I never really did understand why we didn't offer him a position at Tech doing that so our talent didn't get used by others.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

The Ft. Worth Star Telegram went in to more detail and made the split sound much more amicable with both sides complimenting the other and "agreeing to disagree" over the direction of the program. I don't think they called it a dismisall either. I'll see if I can find the article.

But I think he was coaching at Tech during my Fresh. year. I've run into him a few times the last few years and he seems like a great guy. I wish he was back at Tech. I think if we could get him into an important role he would stick around this time. Maybe he'd make a good OC or hell maybe he'd make a good AD.

Either way let's bring him back!

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Mike has been in prision ministry for a number of years and I think the small time high school coaching was a side deversion for him. i don't remember him coaching in Monroe. Roger Carr coached there I think.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

olddog75

You are right! I got two of our many past great receivers mixed up. (I like the sound of that "many past great receivers") Point is we need to use that talent from years ago to build some more. Just like them!
    WWDog
    La Tech

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

As a student at Tech for the 71-75 period, I witnessed the greatest four years in Tech football. Carr and Barber were both key parts. Carr streaking down the field in those white shoes was a sight to be seen.

Varsity Bulldog DustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to allDustyDog is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75
    As a student at Tech for the 71-75 period, I witnessed the greatest four years in Tech football. Carr and Barber were both key parts. Carr streaking down the field in those white shoes was a sight to be seen.
    Ah, yes... "The Golden Era". You are so right Old Dog. We went 44-4 during those years! Frankly, that is when I became "ruined" for life on Tech football. We had just moved to North La from Baton Rouge in '71, and I started going to Tech games with my Dad. Good grief, that was some great football, and the pro legacy from that period is amazing to this day. I still remember the old joke on campus was that the Tech administration was working to build a university that our football team could be proud of!

I went to Tech from 70 to 74. That was a magical time for Tech football. We had so many great football players and accomplished so much during that time. I remember the year we were no. 2 in the poles behind Delaware and offered to play them on a neutral site to settle the situation. They refused. My wife went to Delaware. I give her a rough time on that one occasionally. We also had a great basketball team with Mike Green during that same timeframe also ranked in the tom 10. I remember one game against Auburn where we beat them by over 50 points.
    WWDog
    La Tech

Varsity Bulldog Coachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog
    I went to Tech from 70 to 74. That was a magical time for Tech football. We had so many great football players and accomplished so much during that time. I remember the year we were no. 2 in the poles behind Delaware and offered to play them on a neutral site to settle the situation. They refused. My wife went to Delaware. I give her a rough time on that one occasionally. We also had a great basketball team with Mike Green during that same timeframe also ranked in the tom 10. I remember one game against Auburn where we beat them by over 50 points.

WW--Do you remember the GREAT coaching staff at Tech during the 70's? Maxie Lambright, the leader and one of only a few men named "Maxie", He was a wonderful man and coach and he coached Mickey Slaughter at Bolton High School; Mickey Slaughter, Pat Collins, E. J. Lewis, Pat, "Gravy" Patterson and Wallace Martin. They didn't lose many football games.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't Glennell Sanders work on Mike Barber's staff??

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DelhiDog
    Ah, yes... "The Golden Era". You are so right Old Dog. We went 44-4 during those years! Frankly, that is when I became "ruined" for life on Tech football. We had just moved to North La from Baton Rouge in '71, and I started going to Tech games with my Dad. Good grief, that was some great football, and the pro legacy from that period is amazing to this day. I still remember the old joke on campus was that the Tech administration was working to build a university that our football team could be proud of!
    And add my senior season of 8-2 in 1975 and you have a 52-6 for five years.
    Funny you say that about the administration . . . F. Jay Taylor did so.
    Louisiana Tech University

Quote Originally Posted by Coachdawg
    WW--Do you remember the GREAT coaching staff at Tech during the 70's? Maxie Lambright, the leader and one of only a few men named "Maxie", He was a wonderful man and coach and he coached Mickey Slaughter at Bolton High School; Mickey Slaughter, Pat Collins, E. J. Lewis, Pat, "Gravy" Patterson and Wallace Martin. They didn't lose many football games.

To me that was the golden era of Tech Football. There were a lot of really good football players at Tech back then. Every game packed the stadium. The teams had both great offense and defense. You could count on every play being something special. When Quick 6 McDaniels got the ball we moved down the field for at least a first down. I remember seeing Joe McNealy after the Ark St game. His head was blown up like a pumpkin and black and blue. He made the stop on that rather large back they had to win the game. He told me they sawed the helmet off of his head after the game because they couldn't get it off. Joe was one of the toughest guys I ever met. I went to grade school through high school and Tech with Joe. Fred Dean was another of those too good to forget defensive players. Then there were too many offensive weapons to count. Roger Car, Pat Tilley, Quick 6, Ari Moody (sp?), and the list goes on. Tech produced our share of great players in that era. Coach Lambright seemed to know just what to do with all of his weapons. I didn't know Coach Lambright but he definitely was my favorite. I was just a spectator at the games but really enjoyed every game. I even packed my little Opal for a trip to the Pioneer Bowl that one year. We fought a really bad thunderstorm the whole way there the day before. Unfortunately, I think we were the only ones in the stands during that cold windy day. Tech won the game handily. I think it was 35 - 0 against Western Kentucky. It was really cold and not a lot of people in the stands, but it is one of the best memories I have of Tech football. I've run on about all sorts of related things, but you are right, the coaching staff was obviously the best Tech has ever had. All you have to do is look at the stats of that era.
    WWDog
    La Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix
    And add my senior season of 8-2 in 1975 and you have a 52-6 for five years.
    Funny you say that about the administration . . . F. Jay Taylor did so.

With all the successes in that era and all the great players and coaches, I believe that F. Jay Taylor provided the atmosphere to allow all that greatness to happen. He definitely is the giant in the greatness of Tech in my eyes. Not to take anything away from all the great coachs and players, but it takes the right person at the top with the foresight to accomplish what Tech did in those years!
    WWDog
    La Tech

+ Reply to Thread