+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What is a Christian?

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

What is a Christian?

There's something that I've been guilty of in the past before I recommited myself to the Lord Jesus Christ that I see non-believers do, and also see other believers do. That is seeing someone that "claims to be a christian" act a certain way and then make the statement "he/she claims to be a christian". As I said, I've been seeing and hearing that statement alot from believers and non-believers alike which got me to thinking. What is a Christian? I tend to be dismissive, wrongly at times, when a non-believer has a standard of Christian behavior because IMO how can they know what Christian behavior should be if they're not Christian. However, then I see Christians with their standards of Christian behavior that I think how can they believe such a way surely they know better. ie Dawgbitten's experiences with his past affiliations. Does a Christian only need to be a "red letter" believer or adhere to the whole New Testament? I will be the first to admit, which is why I have my next question, that I can't really say what a Christian is.

So, here is my question(s). What is a Christian? What should a Christian's behavior exemplify? Should a Christian be perfect in everything he/she does? If not, what are allowable mistakes (sins)? If possible, maybe supply some scriptural support for your answers. I would go further in my premilinary thoughts, but I don't want this post to go on too long, plus I've got to go drop my son at school.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: What is a Christian?

Biblically, bearing fruit is one evidence that a person is a Christian. (John 15:1-17). But, the thief that was crucified next to Jesus surely didn't show much fruit in his life, yet he was still granted admission to heaven (Luke 23:26-43). But, the fire insurance aspect of Christianity is just the tip of the ice-berg(sp). Christianity is about the glory of God(Ephesians 1:11-14). I reference you to any John Piper book you care to pick up (proceed with caution, it'll turn your world upside down).

I'm currently trying to remember the name of his website...

http://www.desiringgod.org/

The what we believe section is particularly interesting. I don't know if that's what you're looking for or not.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

Geez! Getting pretty deep for this early in the morning.

Galatians 5:6 "For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love."

The Galatians were being taken off track by the Jews who said that they had to follow the Levitical Law. Back in v4 he says "You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ."

v13 "You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather serve one another in love."

The Law was comprised of three parts 1) Ceremonial Law, 2) Civil Law, and 3) Moral Law.

I believe what Jesus taught and what Paul is saying is that Jesus abolished the ceremonial law for worship. But the INTENT of the law, ESPECIALLY the moral portions, are what guide us in our walk. There isn't a list of you shalls and shall nots. Live your life through love for one another.

And I've got to get on a soap box. You alluded to "allowable mistakes (sins)". That infers that the breaking of a rule is the sin. THAT ISN'T SIN!!! If it were, then we would be living by a rulebook much like the levitical law! Sin is much more fundamental. It is doing what WE want to do instead of what GOD wants us to do! It is us living our life instead of God living our life. And when we do that, we begin to have pride for the GOOD that we do. We say, "See me. I'm doing good things and am not sinning." Well guess what. Even the GOOD we do doesn't come from us! Ephesians 2:10 "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

BTW, I tend to be slightly Calvinistic in my thinking.

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

Reread Galatians. Paul really hits this whole law vs. faith subject pretty hard.

Firejimoakes.com
    Webmaster
    Beaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    So, here is my question(s).
    What is a Christian?
    What should a Christian's behavior exemplify?
    Should a Christian be perfect in everything he/she does?
    If not, what are allowable mistakes (sins)?
    If we number the above questions 1-4 I will do my best to answer them in my opinion:

1) This is a hard question. We try to picture this perfect cookie-cutter Christian. However, no two Christians are the same. Christians means "Christ-one" and was 1st mentioned in Acts. Many different cultures had come together with different languages and views and beliefs, but the one thing they had in common was Christ. A Christian is someone who strives to be like Jesus Christ is every aspect of our life.
    2) A Christian's behavior should exemplify Christ's behavior.
    3) A Christian that is striving to be like Christ should strive for perfection, but humans are sinners and we will never attain perfection.
    4) No sins are allowable. Jesus died on the cross for every sin. Murder and gossip are the same. Just because earthly laws say some actions are legal does not mean those actions are legal according to God's law. Fortunately for us God sent Jesus to die on the cross and suffer for our sins. We as humans now have to make the decision to accept God's grace or deny it.

Just want to say that these answers are strictly my opinion - what I believe.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Very good question, Dirty. I have this term that I use of being a "real Christian" and a "pretend Christian". It is wrong of me to do that, though, since I cannot be the one that decides what is real or not. I can tell you what I believe, but it is ONLY what I believe.

I believe that anyone that believes that Christ lived and died for their sins (and that He lives today) is a Christian. John 3:16 is, probably, the most important verse in the Bible to me.

Behaving as a Christian is something a little different, though. Some people have hate in their hearts and, I believe, that they have to truly seek forgiveness to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. We all sin and we all make mistakes. Being forgiven and changing our behavior goes together, though. I do not believe that we can sin, ask forgiveness, sin again, and ask forgiveness over and over again for the same sin. That shows that we are not really asking for forgiveness.

The BIG difference in persons being a Christian and acting like a Christian might come down to different belief systems, though. There are things that people claiming to be Christians say and do claiming it is "Christian" to do so that I VERY much disagree with. The same for me and what some people think. That is because many of us have a different interpretation of what being Christian is and means. It varies from region to region, church to church, and person to person.

Nothing angers me more than seeing a Christian preach hate of others. That does not fit with MY beliefs. I think of that as judging others. However, there are some people that believe that is the right thing to do. I can't decide for them.

So, I think I rambled a lot in this post. It is a thought provoking question that should spur some interesting conversation. I have a lot more to say, but this post is long enough for now. :icon_wink

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg
    So, here is my question(s).
    1. What is a Christian?
    2. What should a Christian's behavior exemplify?
    3. Should a Christian be perfect in everything he/she does?
    4. If not, what are allowable mistakes (sins)?
    the thing that i find interesting is, i have heard several biblical scholars say that the term "christian" (they inyerpret it "little Christ") was meant as a diminishing term...like: oh, look at the little Christs doing this or that..." if this interpretation of the word is valid, it's interesting that it has been adopted for the faith.

1. as far as your question goes: a Christ follower cannot be defined (imo) by his place in the corporeal world because he is no longer of it.--"you are in the world but not of the world."--(i appologize for my poor paraphrasing and lack of scripture references...i am at work and don't know then off the top of my head).

2. my opinion is that a christian's attitude should exemplify Christ's love meeting them where they are.--"belonging to no man but becoming a slave to all...all things to all men...to win some to the kingdom"--(i think 1corinthians)

3. i believe that we are perfect or, rather, prefected through Christ. He sees us as perfect.

4. paul said, "everything is permissible--but not everything is beneficial" (1cor 6:12). i think it's a philosophical retort, but we know from mark that the only unforgiveable sin is "blasphemy of the Holy Spirit." (i guess the question for that would be: what does that mean?).

that's all i got.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

A Christian is a disciple or follower of Christ. Pretty simple really. The blood of Christ covers our sins (past, present, and future).

"blasphemy of the Holy Spirit." (i guess the question for that would be: what does that mean?).

According to the Southern Baptist belief, one can blaspheme God or Jesus and be forgiven, but one cannot blaspheme the Holy Spirit and be forgiven. To put it simple, we (Southern Baptist) believe that it is impossible for a Christian to commit this sin. The sin would be committed by someone who the Holy Spirit was dealing with, but they deny Him or possibly even curse Him to keep Him from entering their heart.

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg
    A Christian is a disciple or follower of Christ. Pretty simple really. The blood of Christ covers our sins (past, present, and future).

"blasphemy of the Holy Spirit." (i guess the question for that would be: what does that mean?).

According to the Southern Baptist belief, one can blaspheme God or Jesus and be forgiven, but one cannot blaspheme the Holy Spirit and be forgiven. To put it simple, we (Southern Baptist) believe that it is impossible for a Christian to commit this sin. The sin would be committed by someone who the Holy Spirit was dealing with, but they deny Him or possibly even curse Him to keep Him from entering their heart.
    that's interesting. i'll have to think about that.

i am inclined to agree with "a christian cannot commit a sin" line (at least in God's eyes).

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate the questions and responses. It's somewhat difficult to jump into this discussion until I can get more familiar with each participant's perspective (presuppositions). Initially, I think its a mistake to make a dichotomy between Jesus' teaching and the rest of the NT. In fact, the epistles are essentially commentary and application of the life/ministry/teaching of Jesus.

I would also contend with TDF's tri-partition of the Mosaic Law. I know it's a common assumption among many Christians (especially, "reformed"), but I don't think it was intended to be interpreted that way. For example, breaking the Sabbath was a moral transgression for the Jew. The entire Law is moral. I say all this because of the importance of recognizing Jesus as the fulfillment of the law. I know this opens me up to the charge of being an antinomian, which I'm not. Nevertheless, I'll stand by these initial observations.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog
    I appreciate the questions and responses. It's somewhat difficult to jump into this discussion until I can get more familiar with each participant's perspective (presuppositions). Initially, I think its a mistake to make a dichotomy between Jesus' teaching and the rest of the NT. In fact, the epistles are essentially commentary and application of the life/ministry/teaching of Jesus.

I would also contend with TDF's tri-partition of the Mosaic Law. I know it's a common assumption among many Christians (especially, "reformed"), but I don't think it was intended to be interpreted that way. For example, breaking the Sabbath was a moral transgression for the Jew. The entire Law is moral. I say all this because of the importance of recognizing Jesus as the fulfillment of the law. I know this opens me up to the charge of being an antinomian, which I'm not. Nevertheless, I'll stand by these initial observations.
    2 Timothy 3:16-17: All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

My beliefs are kind of reformed, but I agree that we must be careful how we treat the old Testament. Jesus didn't come to abolish the law, but to complete it. It's cool stuff to think about, but it can be complicated as well.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin
    2 Timothy 3:16-17: All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work...
    interesting tangent to go off on: paul almost certainly was refering to the OT in that statement. he had no way of knowing that 2000 yrs down the road, his words would be spoken as the Word of God. just kind of an interesting aside.

paul most likely had no reason to believe there would ever be a need for a christian canon (NT) to ever be established seeing as he believed (as most did) that Jesus would return in their lifetime. so one must ask himself if paul's "God-breathed" statement was meant to apply to his own words.

sorry to go off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by sik-m-boi
    interesting tangent to go off on: paul almost certainly was refering to the OT in that statement. he had no way of knowing that 2000 yrs down the road, his words would be spoken as the Word of God. just kind of an interesting aside.

paul most likely had no reason to believe there would ever be a need for a christian canon (NT) to ever be established seeing as he believed (as most did) that Jesus would return in their lifetime. so one must ask himself if paul's "God-breathed" statement was meant to apply to his own words.

sorry to go off topic.
    That's the beauty of the scripture...it is so much bigger than any of its "authors" ever could've imagined.

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

here's another tangent, it is SO refreshing to be part of a forum with such defenders of the faith.

JFord

Bulldog THE RED has turned a few heads around hereTHE RED has turned a few heads around hereTHE RED has turned a few heads around hereTHE RED has turned a few heads around hereTHE RED has turned a few heads around here THE RED's Avatar

This is a cool thread...here are my thoughts...

In the back of my Bible there is a Dictionary/ Concordance and it defines Christian as "follower of Jesus the Messiah (Christ)."

Romans 3:23 states "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God". Then it goes on to say in
    Romans 6: 23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the figt of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

I take this to mean that everyone has sinned and that because of sin , everyone is doomed to die and live apart from Jesus. But, because of Jesus's death on the cross and his resurection, he has already paid the price for our sins so that we wouldnt have to. All he asked in return was for our lives to be dedicated to him and to follow in his ways.

There is another verse somewhere...ill have to look it up later...that says something like God will forgive our sins and cast them as far as the east is from the west. This shows that God will forgive our sins if we turn to him and ask forgivness.

And then to describe it best, there is the ever so popular John 3:16
    "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

Which of course states that Jesus died for us on the cross and rose again. If you accept his gift and walk with him in life, you will have eternal life in heaven.

Hope these verses can apply to some of your questions.

+ Reply to Thread