+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: What is a Christian?

Varsity Bulldog DRay563 is just really niceDRay563 is just really niceDRay563 is just really niceDRay563 is just really niceDRay563 is just really niceDRay563 is just really niceDRay563 is just really niceDRay563 is just really niceDRay563 is just really niceDRay563 is just really niceDRay563 is just really nice DRay563's Avatar

Re: What is a Christian?

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza
    If Jesus Christ was a Jewish rabbi...... He was not a Christian man/God!
    Of course not, as "Christian" means "little Christ" and was originally used as a derogatory term. How could the original also be the follower?

If Jesus Christ was in fact the "Messiah" of the Jews...... He clearly was not the God of Christianity!
    Why do you say that? The Messiah of the Jews is merely a prophecied and foretold person derived from the Old Testament. At the time, the Rabbis predicted something more along the lines of a war hero to help them out of the Roman oppression (when really, the Messiah was intended to relieve them of the oppression of sin in their lives). Christianity emerged from the Jewish culture (as well as the population of Gentiles). On what basis do you make this claim, that if Jesus was the prophecied Messiah, He cannot be the God of Christianity?

If Jesus Christ was in fact THE CHRISTIAN GOD who came to earth @2000 years ago to light HIS AND MAN'S CHRISTIAN PATH TO ETERNITY/SALVATION...... What possible need could such a GOD have to bother with ANY silly Jewish games?
    Israel is the chosen nation. This hasn't been forsaken in the least either! Paul clearly identifies with this fact in Romans (one verse, as an example):

Romans 1:16, "I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile."

Throughout the beginning of Romans (until Paul obliterates the cultural differences between the Jew and the Gentile, recognizing us all as the same), Paul continually uses that phrase "first for the Jew, then for the Gentile." It's a reminder that even though Christ is for all, Israel is still the chosen nation, the chosen people, and as such, will receive not only the first of the blessings but also the first of the curses.

If Jesus Christ was in fact THE CHRISTIAN GOD...... Why did he WRITE NOTHING and leave his message to be "recorded" by mortal men in vague terms that have NEEDED "interpretation" to be "understood"...... When HE could just as easily have raised only one finger and written HIS OWN CLEAR MESSAGE in stone on any mountain that caught his honest GODLY fancy?
    Since you are so fond of pointing out what Jesus did and didn't do, when, in all of His ministry, did Jesus ever put on a flashy show? In fact, many times after Jesus healed someone, He would say "tell no one of this." That didn't stop people from talking, but Jesus wasn't a flashy person. He walked on water (but only to reach His disciples who were in the middle of a storm, and to escape the crowd), He turned water into wine (only at the behest of His mother), He healed the sick (because He had compassion, but never turned into any huge show like you might find on TV of the "evangelical healings for money" as I call them), but never did He call fire from heaven, flagrantly boast His claims, or cast any finger to write a clear message on any mountain.

Jesus' ministry was not a ministry of writing; it was a ministry of action. He left His ministry in the care of His disciples afterwards:

John 21:15, "When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, 'Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?' 'Yes, Lord,' he said, ' you know that I love you.' Jesus said, 'Feed my lambs.'"

Acts 1:7-8, "He said to them: 'It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.'"

I believe that part of this entrustment is the accurate recording of the ministry of Christ, as well as the ability to lay down doctrine. I'm reading a book called Velvet Elvis by Robb Bell, and although I haven't gotten to this part yet, I have heard that later on the book, he discusses the culture behind Jesus' words. In them, we find not only that Jesus spoke with the power and authority of a Rabbi, but also that Jesus passed that authority to His disciples because of the manner in which He spoke to them.

I am still unable to comprehend modern Christians who readily turn to the Old Testament to condemn homosexuals via any available Old Testament text as they increasingly try to treat women decently and eat huge amounts of Old Testament PORK at every available tailgate function.
    If you could do me a favor--show me where it says eating pork is an abomination, worthy of death, and then we'll talk. Also, show me a New Testament Scripture (the revelation of the new covenant) where homosexuality is condoned (Acts 10:9-23, for the condoning of eating all things, even pork). In fact, this is not the first time such a thing has happened in Scripture, as originally, God gave us only plants to eat (Genesis 1:30) until He then gave us meat to eat (Genesis 9:3).

Besides, one must recognize the difference between a moral law and a cultural law. Eating the pig is a cultural law (or, if you will, a law designed to have a healthy diet.... pork isn't the healthiest of things for ya). There's a difference between "this is unclean" and "this is an abomination, you need to die for this." Even more so, Jesus addressed the issue of eating--how it's the heart that makes a man unclean, and not what he eats--in the Matthew 15 section from one of my previous posts.

Lastly, you'll have to help me understand how treating women decently has anything to do with anything? The patriarchal society back then is pretty well-understood by scholars today, and just because there was a dominant male society does not mean that the Bible is against decent treatment of women. In fact, the Bible tells husbands to treat their wives as Christ treated the Church, and He died for the Church! All Scriptures used to support the keeping down of women needs to be interpretted with cultural goggles on, such that we can understood to whom Paul (the most common example) was speaking to, and why he said what he said.

Also, I would highly recommend a study of Colossians 2, as it deals with the freedom from human regulations found in a life with Christ. It's shattering to your position, IMO.

Daniel

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    However, I also think saurerkraut is gross as well. It is gross to me. I can't imagine anybody eating sourerkraut. However, the Bible does not consider eating sourekraut as being a vile sin.
    Sooner... to think I used to respect you... Sauerkraut is a gift from God we should all be enjoying. I used to buy two pound bags of it from WalMart and eat it with a fork straight out of the bag.

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DRay563
    Of course not, as "Christian" means "little Christ" and was originally used as a derogatory term. How could the original also be the follower?

Why do you say that? The Messiah of the Jews is merely a prophecied and foretold person derived from the Old Testament. At the time, the Rabbis predicted something more along the lines of a war hero to help them out of the Roman oppression (when really, the Messiah was intended to relieve them of the oppression of sin in their lives). Christianity emerged from the Jewish culture (as well as the population of Gentiles). On what basis do you make this claim, that if Jesus was the prophecied Messiah, He cannot be the God of Christianity?

Israel is the chosen nation. This hasn't been forsaken in the least either! Paul clearly identifies with this fact in Romans (one verse, as an example):

Romans 1:16, "I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile."

Throughout the beginning of Romans (until Paul obliterates the cultural differences between the Jew and the Gentile, recognizing us all as the same), Paul continually uses that phrase "first for the Jew, then for the Gentile." It's a reminder that even though Christ is for all, Israel is still the chosen nation, the chosen people, and as such, will receive not only the first of the blessings but also the first of the curses.

Since you are so fond of pointing out what Jesus did and didn't do, when, in all of His ministry, did Jesus ever put on a flashy show? In fact, many times after Jesus healed someone, He would say "tell no one of this." That didn't stop people from talking, but Jesus wasn't a flashy person. He walked on water (but only to reach His disciples who were in the middle of a storm, and to escape the crowd), He turned water into wine (only at the behest of His mother), He healed the sick (because He had compassion, but never turned into any huge show like you might find on TV of the "evangelical healings for money" as I call them), but never did He call fire from heaven, flagrantly boast His claims, or cast any finger to write a clear message on any mountain.

Jesus' ministry was not a ministry of writing; it was a ministry of action. He left His ministry in the care of His disciples afterwards:

John 21:15, "When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, 'Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?' 'Yes, Lord,' he said, ' you know that I love you.' Jesus said, 'Feed my lambs.'"

Acts 1:7-8, "He said to them: 'It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.'"

I believe that part of this entrustment is the accurate recording of the ministry of Christ, as well as the ability to lay down doctrine. I'm reading a book called Velvet Elvis by Robb Bell, and although I haven't gotten to this part yet, I have heard that later on the book, he discusses the culture behind Jesus' words. In them, we find not only that Jesus spoke with the power and authority of a Rabbi, but also that Jesus passed that authority to His disciples because of the manner in which He spoke to them.

If you could do me a favor--show me where it says eating pork is an abomination, worthy of death, and then we'll talk. Also, show me a New Testament Scripture (the revelation of the new covenant) where homosexuality is condoned (Acts 10:9-23, for the condoning of eating all things, even pork). In fact, this is not the first time such a thing has happened in Scripture, as originally, God gave us only plants to eat (Genesis 1:30) until He then gave us meat to eat (Genesis 9:3).

Besides, one must recognize the difference between a moral law and a cultural law. Eating the pig is a cultural law (or, if you will, a law designed to have a healthy diet.... pork isn't the healthiest of things for ya). There's a difference between "this is unclean" and "this is an abomination, you need to die for this." Even more so, Jesus addressed the issue of eating--how it's the heart that makes a man unclean, and not what he eats--in the Matthew 15 section from one of my previous posts.

Lastly, you'll have to help me understand how treating women decently has anything to do with anything? The patriarchal society back then is pretty well-understood by scholars today, and just because there was a dominant male society does not mean that the Bible is against decent treatment of women. In fact, the Bible tells husbands to treat their wives as Christ treated the Church, and He died for the Church! All Scriptures used to support the keeping down of women needs to be interpretted with cultural goggles on, such that we can understood to whom Paul (the most common example) was speaking to, and why he said what he said.

Also, I would highly recommend a study of Colossians 2, as it deals with the freedom from human regulations found in a life with Christ. It's shattering to your position, IMO.

Daniel
    Thank you once again Daniel for your very thorough and thoughtful replies......

While it is clear to me that we shall always differ on various points regarding Christianity in particular and religion in general...... I truly appreciate your willingness to engage in open dialogue with a frankness that I find to be both interesting and refreshing.

FWIW...... There is no doubt in whatever remains of my old, bleeding heart liberal, little grey cells...... That you are a good and decent person with nothing to ever fear from ANY God.

And just for the religious record......

I honestly hope that I am in serious error regarding my mortal opinion that the Old Testament should not be an integral part of the Christian Bible. As a non-Christian, it matters not to me...... But I do understand how much the "entire Bible" means too virtually all Chrictians.

And BTW......
    I came to this thread as an identified non-Christian to simply stir the message board pot a bit from a different angle, and inject a few thoughts about Christianity that I felt might be of interest to some who had posted here. I meant no offense, sought no converts and have thoroughly enjoyed my participation in this forum. I am thankful to you and several other posters here, who have made my visit on this thread a more than pleasant experience.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

I am thankful to you and several other posters here, who have made my visit on this thread a more than pleasant experience.
    I hope you're including me in this group.

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    I hope you're including me in this group.
    Not only included..... But quite near the top of my list.

Without you (and your lovely wife) both this thread and the "homo" thread would not have been nearly as interesting.

BTW...... Please tell your wife that I am almost always "high" (on large amounts of beer) when I post on this thread.

All the best to you and yours!

+ Reply to Thread