+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Da Vinci Code

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: The Da Vinci Code

Quote Originally Posted by duckbillplatty
    No, no, Rahab was. It was a explanation that Mary's past character flaws would not make her unsuitable for Jesus' bride. I can see how I wrote it in a confusing way.
    DB is right about Mary Mag...I think she became "widely thought of" as a prostitute when some pope decided that she was. I've looked and maybe I've missed it, but I didn't see where it said that she was a ho...for sho.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbitten
    So the guys that cannonized the Bible made a mistake?

Writing styles, paper styles. Transcription?
    Huh? Non-sequitors are us?

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin
    DB is right about Mary Mag...I think she became "widely thought of" as a prostitute when some pope decided that she was. I've looked and maybe I've missed it, but I didn't see where it said that she was a ho...for sho.
    that's because it isn't there. the pope is thought to have done it to show how, no matter how scandalous your past, you can still be saved.
    Last edited by sik-m-boi; 05-23-2006 at 10:25 AM.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin
    That's what I was trying to say.

Rahab was a woman of ill repute and despite that is in the lineage of Jesus and one of the most important females in Jewish history.

Mary had unspecified demons.

The connection I was going for is that a marriage to Mary would not be something that would have to be hidden in order to preserve the holiness of Christ.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duckbillplatty
    That's what I was trying to say.

Rahab was a woman of ill repute and despite that is in the lineage of Jesus and one of the most important females in Jewish history.

Mary had unspecified demons.

The connection I was going for is that a marriage to Mary would not be something that would have to be hidden in order to preserve the holiness of Christ.
    Yeah, I agree. I just think it's interesting that everyone assumes (according to the Discovery Channel) that MM was a prostitute when the scripture doesn't say she is one.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Puppy Kenzie Leigh seems to have something between the earsKenzie Leigh seems to have something between the earsKenzie Leigh seems to have something between the earsKenzie Leigh seems to have something between the earsKenzie Leigh seems to have something between the earsKenzie Leigh seems to have something between the ears Kenzie Leigh's Avatar

I read an amazingly fair article on the movie and the book yesterday morning and couldn't wait to share it with y'all! in the last part of the aritcle the writer says that the greatest line of the movie is something "Robert" says off screen to "Sophie" when trying to help her understand her identity in the end - it's something to the effect of: ALL THAT MATTERS IS WHAT YOU BELIEVE. I thought it was awesome! Just thought i'd share...

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgFan
    While I will DEFINATELY not disagree that we have more text relating to Mary Magdalene in the later portions of the 4 gospels than his mother, Mary, John records and interesting passage of Jesus on the cross. When he looked down and saw who was there, it was his mother he addressed and then John, not Mary Magdalene. Don't you find it interesting that if Mary WERE his wife, he is not recorded in ANY of the gospels (the canon OR the gnostic gospels) of having addressed her while on the cross?

Chris
    MM was at the cross, but nothing about him addressing her. He addressed John to take care of his Mother. Keeping the commandments by honoring his mother. I think MM being there speaks volumes.

25 But there were standing by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

MM was at the cross, but nothing about him addressing her. He addressed John to take care of his Mother. Keeping the commandments by honoring his mother. I think MM being there speaks volumes.

25 But there were standing by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene.
    it would have spoken more volumes if it read "mary magdalene, the wife of jesus." it doesn't. it would have only made since to identify her as such if that were actually the case.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor
    it would have spoken more volumes if it read "mary magdalene, the wife of jesus." it doesn't. it would have only made since to identify her as such if that were actually the case.
    Do you have faith that the Bible is written in the same words, wording, etc. as the original writers wrote it? If so, you have much faith.

Reference the ID thread in politics section. I think the general consensus is that Religion is man influenced and jaded by sin. Why would you think that those words passed down through the early church (with an agenda) managed by a handful of literates were not manipulated either?

Is that Barry "juicehead" Bonds in that picture? Speaking of jaded.

Champ sik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the roughsik-m-boi is a jewel in the rough sik-m-boi's Avatar

...Reference the ID thread in politics section. I think the general consensus is that Religion is man influenced and jaded by sin. Why would you think that those words passed down through the early church (with an agenda) managed by a handful of literates were not manipulated either?
    i don't think that is the general consensus. i would certainly not use those words to describe what the consensus (if it exists) is.

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor
    Unfortunately, the historical truth about Jesus will not be known since he lived a short life and little was known about him until he started preaching at age 30 or so. Buddha, on the other hand, started his missionary work about his early 20s and traveled far and wide to many countries, his talks recorded at the time, and he lived to a ripe old age.

Was Jesus a virgin when he died? Does the NT ever mention Jesus' sex life? What did Jesus do between the age of 15 and 30? The bottom line is that the NT reports what its authors wanted to report. My impression was at the time that part of the world was filled with many similar preachers, and Jesus was just one among many. He would not surprise me that he was married, probably not to MM, had children, and the early writers wanted to present him as the Son of God, and not as a ordinary married carpenter with kids.

That Jesus had a very powerful presence and a strong understanding of spiritual matters is self-evident given the drama of his death and the work of his followers to ensure that His message did not die with Him.

BTW, I haven't read the "Code" or the movie. Probably will see the movie when it is on AMC.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by saltydawg
    Unfortunately, the historical truth about Jesus will not be known since he lived a short life and little was known about him until he started preaching at age 30 or so. Buddha, on the other hand, started his missionary work about his early 20s and traveled far and wide to many countries, his talks recorded at the time, and he lived to a ripe old age.

Was Jesus a virgin when he died? Does the NT ever mention Jesus' sex life? What did Jesus do between the age of 15 and 30? The bottom line is that the NT reports what its authors wanted to report. My impression was at the time that part of the world was filled with many similar preachers, and Jesus was just one among many. He would not surprise me that he was married, probably not to MM, had children, and the early writers wanted to present him as the Son of God, and not as a ordinary married carpenter with kids.

That Jesus had a very powerful presence and a strong understanding of spiritual matters is self-evident given the drama of his death and the work of his followers to ensure that His message did not die with Him.

BTW, I haven't read the "Code" or the movie. Probably will see the movie when it is on AMC.
    Salty, would you be willing to die a long painful martyrs death because you were spreading a lie about somebody? Or would you tell the truth to spare your life? Why didn't Jesus fess-up and say, "Well you know what? I was just kidding". Likewise, I believe all of the disciples, save one, was dealt a cruel death by the Romans, and the like, for their belief and spreading of the gospel of Christ as the risen Son of God that can take away my sins as well as yours. Many thousands of others and their children suffered the same fate at the hand of the Romans and in other countries. Why? Remember that theirs was a first person true witness account of the pure and sinless life, countless miracles as well as seeing the living and risen Jesus Christ. Why leave this world in such fashion over a lie they would have created? No, as has been stated on this, as well as other threads, you as well as all of us and those mentioned above must at some time in your life face and call Christ a "Liar, Lunatic or your Lord". Those are the only 3 choices you have. What will you call and/or say to Him when you meet Him? Better yet, what do you call Him today?
    Last edited by TYLERTECHSAS; 05-28-2006 at 08:41 PM.

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS
    Salty, would you be willing to die a long painful martyrs death because you were spreading a lie about somebody? Or would you tell the truth to spare your life? Why didn't Jesus fess-up and say, "Well you know what? I was just kidding". Likewise, I believe all of the disciples, save one, was dealt a cruel death by the Romans, and the like, for their belief and spreading of the gospel of Christ as the risen Son of God that can take away my sins as well as yours. Many thousands of others and their children suffered the same fate at the hand of the Romans and in other countries. Why? Remember that theirs was a first person true witness account of the pure and sinless life, countless miracles as well as seeing the living and risen Jesus Christ. Why leave this world in such fashion over a lie they would have created? No, as has been stated on this, as well as other threads, you as well as all of us and those mentioned above must at some time in your life face and call Christ a "Liar, Lunatic or your Lord". Those are the only 3 choices you have. What will you call and/or say to Him when you meet Him? Better yet, what do you call Him today?
    TT, that is one of your better posts. I have the CD set of C.S. Lewis' "Mere Christianity" here in front of me and plan on listening to it on my road trip in September out to California.

That Jesus' intimate followers were totally committed to Him and his message goes without saying. I'm not saying that the NT is a lie or total fabrication, but rather it is written by His followers and not objective 3rd party observers. Many religious people die for their beliefs but that in and of itself does not mean that their beliefs are true. It just means that they believe them so strongly that they are willing to die for them.

As for the "pure and sinless life" and countless miracles of Jesus, I'm not convinced nor do I think it is really necessary to believe such things in order to appreciate Jesus' message. I tend to view such supernatural beliefs as a relic of ancient world-views and certainly not 21st century.

I reject your assetion that I have to view Jesus as either a "liar, lunatic or Son of God". I have the choice of viewing Him as a simple carpenter who was at the same time a great spiritual leader who was intent on leading humanity to the next level, a world where individuals could communicate directly with their personal God.

Not trying to take away from your message, Tyler, because you make a good point. However, study history and even modern history. Christians did not create the matyr system nor were they the first ones persecuted for their belief system. History has a bloody past and much of that can be traced back to certain Gods and the powerful influence that control people's minds.

Many idiot muslims strap on suicide vests and die for Allah every day in the middle East. Babylonians offered themselves as human sacrifices to appease their Gods. Aztecs.....The list could go on.

Tyler, you forgot to add Mary Magadalene to list that escaped death. She was considered a disciple by some and according to the RC church, she escaped to the South of France.

+ Reply to Thread