+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Pick a name for the I-20 rivalry

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Re: Pick a name for the I-20 rivalry

Quote Originally Posted by jimwwms
    ULM has never been a worthy rival.

Which would make them a excellent season opener opponent. However, never say never. Many of us remember the five year drought from 1983 to 1987 when they beat us five years in a row by a combined score of 106 to 32. Sounds like a perfect rival to me - we dominate the series but they get their licks in too. Why shouldn't we be able to start the season with a "W" instead of a big road game "L"? Fresno may be our rival now, but to have a true rivalry you need to be close enough where their students and fans can pack our stadium and vice versa. When I was in school, our big rival was Northwestern at the State Fair game. There was all kinds of co-mingling and interaction between the students before, during, and after the game. We don't have anything like that now and I think today's students missing some great, memorable times without it. jmho

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=oledawg66] Why shouldn't we be able to start the season with a "W" instead of a big road game "L"?

There are 750,000 reasons.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

[QUOTE=olddog75]
    Quote Originally Posted by oledawg66
    Why shouldn't we be able to start the season with a "W" instead of a big road game "L"?

There are 750,000 reasons.

My point exactly. That brings us back full circle. If we had an AD who knew his business, we wouldn't be in the position of having to prostitute the football team by being a rent-a-win. If we knew how to market and develop other income sources, we could be the ones to bring in the rent-a-wins. But it is so much easier to just sell our boys down the river for the dollar.

Puppy VS is just really niceVS is just really niceVS is just really niceVS is just really niceVS is just really niceVS is just really niceVS is just really niceVS is just really niceVS is just really niceVS is just really niceVS is just really nice

I hope that we (TU) start playing Tech in football - and it has nothing to do with last fall (we do owe you, but I doubt that Tech would ever play that card; Tech wants C-USA more anyway, and should receive our continued support should an opening arise). A game would be good financially for both, and fun for the fans (there's no bitterness between the schools; no chip on the shoulder stuff). I don't see a downside at all.

Tech runs a classy program - you graduate players, and don't cut corners. You play much good football, and bring a program that would be the league's best (women's hoops). Tech's academic reputation is excellent. Tech's a much better program and without ULL's baggage. Tech is a program that TU (and Rice and SMU et al) can support and did support, although it didn't get you in last time.

ULL's no competition for C-USA: depending on who leaves, look for Temple or one of those S Fla sunbelt schools to be the competition. On the field, you win; but that's not the sole determinant, for better or worse.

Thanks for the support VS. I would love to see a long term home and home series set up with Tulane. I agree, it would be a win win situation.

Bulldog ManzanoWolf isn't thought very highly of around hereManzanoWolf isn't thought very highly of around hereManzanoWolf isn't thought very highly of around hereManzanoWolf isn't thought very highly of around here ManzanoWolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VS
    ULL's no competition for C-USA: depending on who leaves, look for Temple or one of those S Fla sunbelt schools to be the competition. On the field, you win; but that's not the sole determinant, for better or worse.
    Fair or not, I do expect to see either or both of FIU (Miami area) and FAU (Boca Raton area) go the way of UCF and USF. They will come out of nowhere and move up fast.
    Freedom Is Not Free !!!
    Home of the Free because of the Brave.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

I agree our scheduling needs to completely change and new revenue sources must be sought out. OR I could even accept a completely ridiculous body bag type of schedule IF that money was put directly back into our athletic program for facility improvements. Right now our football players hard work , bumps and bruises are used to send our womens underwater fire prevention team to Moscow , Idaho. ........Unacceptable.

Also as far as the scheduling goes, nobody on a national level cares if we beat ul-M or Nebraska. Thats fools gold. They forget we beat 'em very quickly. They care about us beating the BCS schools ONLY IF we follow that up with a big bowl season. Winning the WAC is ten times more important than the 15 minutes of fame you get from a BCS upset. Most of my friends went to UT and A&M , a few went to TTech. They have no idea we upset Michigan St. a few years ago. None of them know we beat Bama twice accept when I tell them. Going to bowls on a consistent basis and being ranked once in a while IS what counts. Lets not schedule ourselves out of a bowl.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

What do you think more people remember first..... our win against Bama, or the WAC title in 2001?? I'd put money on beating the big boys first. I would GLADLY take both beating the big boys and winning a WAC title. But if that means the same results as the H-Bowl, then let us beat the big boys, go 8-4, and be the bowl snub once again.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362
    What do you think more people remember first..... our win against Bama, or the WAC title in 2001?? I'd put money on beating the big boys first. I would GLADLY take both beating the big boys and winning a WAC title. But if that means the same results as the H-Bowl, then let us beat the big boys, go 8-4, and be the bowl snub once again.
    Neither. They remember neither.

When you are non-BCS the only thing people remember is a consistent winner. We need to be winning the WAC at least every 3rd year and go bowling 7 out of every 10 years.

+ Reply to Thread