+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cross goes down --

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

cross goes down --

and he's taking others with him.

Sixth coach convicted in scandal
    Eds: Note that defendant was an assistant coach at Louisiana Tech.

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - A former Barton County Community College basketball coach has admitted participating in a scheme to falsify the records of student athletes.

Ryan Cross, one of eight people caught up in the scandal, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court Tuesday to a single count of wire fraud. In exchange for the plea, prosecutors agreed to dismiss another wire fraud charge accusing Cross of sending a fax containing course materials that could be used to obtain college credit for Ricky Clemons, who later played at the University of Missouri.

Clemons accumulated 24 credit hours during a single 2002 summer semester at Barton County Community College. A dozen of those credit hours were for classes on the campus in Great Bend, the rest for correspondence or online courses from other institutions.

The wire fraud charge Cross admitted to stemmed from something that happened after he left Barton County in 1999 to become head coach at Chipola Junior College in Marianna, Fla. While at the Florida school, prosecutors alleged Cross faxed the college transcript of one of his players, Kareem Johnson, to a Barton County coach for the purpose of fraudulently obtaining college credit for the student so he would be eligible to play at the University of Cincinnati.

Cross, 33, left Chipola to become an assistant coach at Louisiana Tech University. He was suspended there after his indictment last year.

Cross, who will be sentenced Aug. 7, faces up to 20 years in prison.

U.S. District Judge Monti Belot noted during Tuesday's hearing that Cross has agreed to assist prosecutors in related cases. But Belot said it was up to prosecutors to determine whether that help was "substantial" enough to recommend a lesser sentence.

So far, the other coaches sentenced in the case have received probation. Cases are still pending against the former athletic director and a track coach.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Re: cross goes down --

and this is just another reason why our Men's BB should never hire a local or regional asst BB coach that knows every HS coach within a 300 mile radius.

Let's just keep on hiring winners from the JUCO ranks that come and go and have great accomplichments like this article.

Thanks for posting Professor. This is great for our program. Thanks Cross.

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganDawg
    Let's just keep on hiring winners from the JUCO ranks that come and go and have great accomplichments like this article.
    Amen.. they had the best hire in a long time when they picked up Kevin Johnson, he is an excellent coach, i hope they find someone of that nature to fill cross's spot

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jime
    Amen.. they had the best hire in a long time when they picked up Kevin Johnson, he is an excellent coach, i hope they find someone of that nature to fill cross's spot
    agreed. On paper Johnson is a good hire. I hope that he can contribute in a positive way and help us be successful.

Puppy opossum has turned a few heads around hereopossum has turned a few heads around here opossum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganDawg
    and this is just another reason why our Men's BB should never hire a local or regional asst BB coach that knows every HS coach within a 300 mile radius.

Thanks for posting Professor. This is great for our program. Thanks Cross.
    MichiganDawg,

You don't know what you're talking about. This charge in no way benefited Cross. He helped a kid that was done with junior college eligibilty get into a 4 year school. What was in it for him? That kid was able to go on to a 4 year school, play at a great program, and hopefully make something of himself. These types of things go on all over the place every year. Ask your brother. I don't think we should judge Cross without knowing the whole story.

It doesn't look good for our program, but it's not like he did it while he was here. The only negative thing for our program was that we lost a very good young coach and recruiter. I have had the pleasure to get to know Ryan and his family, and I hope that he is able to recover from this and get back into basketball again. He is an intelligent guy that has a lot of knowledge and passion for the game.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

If you knew Ryan, I doubt you would be so harsh in your criticism of him.

My responses are not directed at Cross. Sorry you all did not catch the sarcasm. I don't know Cross, but I do know how our Men's BB program is being run.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Cross broke the law, but I guess it's OK since he's a MBB coach and a nice guy!

He did no favors to the kid he got into Cinncinati because all he taught the kid was that it is OK to cheat. If you think otherwise, ethics aren't your strong suit!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK

He did no favors to the kid he got into Cinncinati because all he taught the kid was that it is OK to cheat. If you think otherwise, ethics aren't your strong suit!
    No, he simply admitted to breaking the law. That does not mean he actually did it. Council might have advised to admit and try to get a lighter sentence now rather than string out a trial and risk a more severe punishment.

By doing this he got another charge dropped. Plenty of people have pleaded out when they were innocent to simply aviod the possibilty of a severe senencting.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

faninmonroe, read the damned article! He admitted sending the fax (which creates a wonderful paper trail), could spend 20 years in prison, and is going to finger others to lessen his length of stay in prison (cooperation is a biggie to the feds)...oh, yeah, he's innocent! BTW, 20 years of federal time is 20 years.

This is not pleading out as you see it on Law & Order!

I revert to my prior post: he broke the law, he did the kid no favors, and he hasn't done anything except advance the concept that cheating is OK!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Puppy jt45 is an unknown

We lost one of our finest Saluki's to this god awful scandal. Shane Hawkins, he was a fine basketball player for the dawgs and asst. coach up until last year. He was accused and plead guilty to lying to a grand jury. I don't really know whats gone on there and I am sure only a few really do, but this thing has brought down some pretty decent folk in its wake.

Varsity Bulldog former_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really niceformer_d1 is just really nice

I living in Saint Louis at the time all of this went down. The whole MU program: AD, coaches, and Ricky were just dirty. There were tapes of Ricky calling the head of the schools wife from prison.

Cross will be tanted with this the rest of his life. Hope he does not go to jail.

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK

I understand what you are trying to say, but if we are going to sit back and cast stones well after the fact, what are you going to do about Sampson that left OU to Indiana now and all the trail of deceit and illegal recruiting. Oh sorry, that's okay, no proof of using a fax.

Time to move on and let the dead bury the dead. This stuff is old old happenings.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

One name - Bruce Pearl....

He faced a similar circumstance several years ago and was able to rebound from it -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Varsity Bulldog lsuhater is just really nicelsuhater is just really nicelsuhater is just really nicelsuhater is just really nicelsuhater is just really nicelsuhater is just really nicelsuhater is just really nicelsuhater is just really nicelsuhater is just really nicelsuhater is just really nicelsuhater is just really nice lsuhater's Avatar

I hope that you guys don't think that illegal activity is not going on at EVERY school ...........including Tech, all around the country. At least at some level. I am sure that some do not want to believe it, but it happens. It happens especially during recruiting, and it happens to keep players eligible, and it happens to keep them out of jail, and it happens when there are not enough scholarships in small sports so they have to get creative with their work study programs.... The problem in this situation was that they were caught. The people involved are NOT bad people. They are just like MANY other college coaches.... If you do not believe it then you are very nieve. And that's all I have to say about that.

+ Reply to Thread