+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cross goes down --

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Re: cross goes down --

Quote Originally Posted by lsuhater
    I hope that you guys don't think that illegal activity is not going on at EVERY school ...........including Tech, all around the country. At least at some level. I am sure that some do not want to believe it, but it happens. It happens especially during recruiting, and it happens to keep players eligible, and it happens to keep them out of jail, and it happens when there are not enough scholarships in small sports so they have to get creative with their work study programs.... The problem in this situation was that they were caught. The people involved are NOT bad people. They are just like MANY other college coaches.... If you do not believe it then you are very nieve. And that's all I have to say about that.
    If you are talking about technical violations, I may agree. It may be impossible to comply with every recruiting rule of the NCAA if with the best of intentions to do so. What I want from our program is to have an intent to comply.

That is differenct than what Cross did. He "crossed" the line. I do not for one minute believe that all programs are intentionally breaking a rule as Cross did.

Cartek is right. Cross may be the greatest guy in the world, but he did wrong, and we don't need to be rationalizing it by saying he is a good daddy, or he helped a kid or that others are doing it too.

With that said, I am sympathetic to the man's position, and after he has paid his debt, I hope he comes back strong and has a wonderful and prosperous life. I hold no ill will toward him.

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

If your not cheating your not trying. EVEryone cheats its about who gets caught!

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrew
    If your not cheating your not trying. EVEryone cheats its about who gets caught!
    He we go again. This is the end of this thread being a reasonable debate.

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg
    He we go again. This is the end of this thread being a reasonable debate.
    Why is that please explain I guess I should put my tongue in cheek.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK
    Cross broke the law, but I guess it's OK since he's a MBB coach and a nice guy!

He did no favors to the kid he got into Cinncinati because all he taught the kid was that it is OK to cheat. If you think otherwise, ethics aren't your strong suit!
    It's, obviously, not "OK". I was simply making the point that the guy has a family and it's a sad situation. You're right, nobody benefitted from it. I feel sorry for them. Just like I would for you if you had some indiscretion.

Puppy opossum has turned a few heads around hereopossum has turned a few heads around here opossum's Avatar

If you are talking about technical violations, I may agree. It may be impossible to comply with every recruiting rule of the NCAA if with the best of intentions to do so. What I want from our program is to have an intent to comply.

That is differenct than what Cross did. He "crossed" the line. I do not for one minute believe that all programs are intentionally breaking a rule as Cross did.

Cartek is right. Cross may be the greatest guy in the world, but he did wrong, and we don't need to be rationalizing it by saying he is a good daddy, or he helped a kid or that others are doing it too.

With that said, I am sympathetic to the man's position, and after he has paid his debt, I hope he comes back strong and has a wonderful and prosperous life. I hold no ill will toward him.

What's the difference between what Cross did, which is help his former athlete get credits needed to get to a 4 year, and the fact that over 70% of Tech's minority student athletes major in sociology. Duke's athletes, same thing. Are we just known to have a great sociology program, or could it be that some of these sociology professors allow athletes a little more leniency. Cross admitted to helping a kid attain a few credits, after the kid had finished playing for him. We are giving kids credits so that they maintain eligibility to play for us. Who is more wrong here?

To believe that athletes at near EVERY school do not recieve preferrential treatment, or have certain curriculums to put players who are not strong in the classroom is naive. We look the other way for that or don't want to believe it happens. Cross admitted to sending a fax of a transcript of one of his former players. It is illegal so it is definitely wrong. I am not defending that what he did was wrong. I'm just saying that why is he a villain, when this goes on on our campus every year. It's because he got caught.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecrew
    Why is that please explain I guess I should put my tongue in cheek.
    If you were being silly or sarcastic, then there is no problem. We have discussed this before, it is sometimes very difficult to read sarcasm into a post. I guess that is what the emoticons are for.

I guess I lumped you in with a lot of the mindless nanny nanny boo arguments we have been seeing lately. My apologies.

If you were being silly or sarcastic, then there is no problem. We have discussed this before, it is sometimes very difficult to read sarcasm into a post. I guess that is what the emoticons are for.

I guess I lumped you in with a lot of the mindless nanny nanny boo arguments we have been seeing lately. My apologies.
    Hey i dont get paid the big bucks to a mindless nanny boo:icon_wink

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Sorry I helped fuel this fire in the wrong way. I was simply trying to show how our program is being run. I just want to hire regional people who WANT to be at LaTech to STAY and make it successful. There are and have been MANY coaches who wish to do that and could do it, but we continue to hire people from far away OR that have no desire to stay long-term.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog
    If you knew Ryan, I doubt you would be so harsh in your criticism of him.
    Are you kidding? I don't know Ryan and don't have any bad wishes for him. But, the fact remains that he cheated- surely you think this is not a good thing to do. And whether he did it somewhere else or at Tech - cheating is not a good thing.

Puppy opossum has turned a few heads around hereopossum has turned a few heads around here opossum's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken
    Are you kidding? I don't know Ryan and don't have any bad wishes for him. But, the fact remains that he cheated- surely you think this is not a good thing to do. And whether he did it somewhere else or at Tech - cheating is not a good thing.
    Let's clear this up. From what I'm reading of his charges, he broke the law, he didn't cheat. He faxed a transcript to a school for a kid to get into a class. It did not accuse him of taking the tests for the kid, or doing the work for the kid. We don't know enough about the charge. Either way, why are some on his ass. He is going to pay enough for it.

Here's what I think. What he did was wrong and illegal. No excuses. But I know that he did a good job at Tech and I don't understand why some on this board, are getting any kind of satisfaction in him "going down". The title of this thread just shows that some are getting pleasure out of this man's situation.

Puppy pittbull isn't thought very highly of around herepittbull isn't thought very highly of around herepittbull isn't thought very highly of around herepittbull isn't thought very highly of around here pittbull's Avatar

I hear you opossum. I don't know that much about the situation, but the title of this thread is disgusting "Cross goes down." It makes it sound as if you are happy that this happened to this man. We all make mistakes in life and it sounds as if Cross has accepted that and probably just wants to move on with his life. By the way, don't believe everything that is written in the media. The media is just looking for a good story. Our society has much bigger issues than a juco coach helping one of his players. He has paid a pretty hefty price and will probably have to explain this the rest of his life. Some of you need to grow up. There is more to life than Tech Athletics. It sounds like this Cross guy has a family. At least have some compassion for them. How about for a change; don't be so quick to judge. As so called "Tech Faithful" how about support our coaches and student-athletes when they are going through tough times. I have read this board for a couple years now and some of you have nothing to say unless something negative happens. That is a hell of an outlook to have.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken
    Try reading what I posted to understand my perspective.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pittbull
    I don't know that much about the situation, but the title of this thread is disgusting "Cross goes down." It makes it sound as if you are happy that this happened to this man.
    That's a little hypersensitive. Would "Cross charged" make you feel better? It's the same thing. A bad thing happened and now we'll see what the consequenses are. He broke the rules, he'll have to deal with that. I hope all goes well for him. I assure you that no Tech fans are happy this happened. That's illogical.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Puppy pittbull isn't thought very highly of around herepittbull isn't thought very highly of around herepittbull isn't thought very highly of around herepittbull isn't thought very highly of around here pittbull's Avatar

You're missing my point. I guess it's just that time of year that nobody has anything better to talk about, or maybe I am hypersensitive. Define hypersensitive by the way. I think sensitive could have been suitable, but maybe not. Anyway, no big deal. Maybe Cross is a bad guy and set out to give Tech a bad name. Who knows??

+ Reply to Thread