+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New version of Forum Software

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

New version of Forum Software

I've been giving some updates to our site admins and moderators this week and I thought I would throw a teaser out here as well.

vBulletin (our forum software developer) has announced a new version of our software that is going to be released. While it is not considered a super-major milestone release (version number incremented from 3.5.x to 3.6 vs. 4.0) it is pretty significant and is filled with new features. I'm pretty excited about it for a couple of reasons. First are some of the new features that will compliment and add to our site pretty significantly. Second, it has increased use of AJAX that speeds up your site browsing and posting experience and helps reduce server load. For those of you who don't know what AJAX is, it is best to give you an example. You will notice that when you post a reply to a thread using the "Quick Reply" option, when you hit submit, the post is automatically added to the end of the page without refreshing the entire page in your browser. This is done with AJAX. It lets you update only parts of the web page instead of having to reload the entire thread.

As with most major releases, the new version must go through the beta process. No timeline on this, but I don't suspect it will take very long since this isn't a wholesale change of the software code.

When we get it installed, I'll probably start a thread and see how many of the new features and changes y'all are able to find on your own without my telling you

Chris

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

Re: New version of Forum Software

AJAX is amazing I am stoked (totally excited for you old guys) that the forum will have more of it.

I hear through the grapevine that a blog is coming too! I can't wait, I'm addicted to mine.

Keep up the good work Chris and the others.

JFord
    Last edited by TechDawgFan; 06-14-2006 at 04:49 PM.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

New version doesn't like animated avatars :-( The happy hippo failed to make his comeback...

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

It isn't installed yet.

Do you want an animated hippo in your avatar? That is a setting that I control. What format is it?

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgFan
    It isn't installed yet.

Do you want an animated hippo in your avatar? That is a setting that I control. What format is it?
    Haha. It's actually an animated gif, but it prolly is good that you leave it off. It can get a little distracting to have too many animated avatars.

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duckbillplatty
    New version doesn't like animated avatars :-( The happy hippo failed to make his comeback...
    http://www.mrcomputerservices.com/DancingHippo.htm

is this him?

Quote Originally Posted by LITEMAN
    That would be him. One of my favorite al time internet links. Of course, my avatar is only a smal part of that dance.

I also have a good peanut butter jelly time avatar...

Would you mind e-mailing me the dancing hippo you were wanting to use? I'd like to see if I can get it to work and find out what the problem is.

Chris

+ Reply to Thread