+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help Me Understand Div-1 Athletics

Big Dog BOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the rough

Help Me Understand Div-1 Athletics

I'm just a fan....so the buisness side of running a Div-1 sports program eludes me......I will assume the state of La gives Louisiana Tech an annual operating budget to help run the University which now in the "post Katrina" era the amount is even smaller.....At that point, does the Louisiana Tech staff divide up the total amount to fund its various departments, therefore a percentage of that total budget is used to fund the athletic department? If this is the case....obviously the percetage is too small.....I'm curious to know...what are the legalities of investing more into the athletic budget? For example.....I know the athletic department gets $25 or so from each students tuition....(although I think I've read either there is some red-tape that makes it hard to spend that money....or JO just doesn't spend it), anyway.....I want to know...why can't the University just raise tuition $100 or so and have it all go directly to the athletic budget?......so.....(based on average of 10,000 students attending) approx. $300,000/year (assuming 3-quaters).....that could help out the athletic budget keep the quality coaches we have.....attract the quality coaches we want....and improve our facilities....
    I'd dare to say that if it's not "legal" to raise tuition solely for athletics....than make it an option to add to the tuition and classifiy it as a "donation" on behalf of the student......

Anyway...if any of you BBB'ers have the time and energy....I'd love one of you to give me the low down on some of the "can" and "can nots" of funding an athletic budget.....

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Re: Help Me Understand Div-1 Athletics

Quote Originally Posted by BOSTON
    I'm just a fan....so the buisness side of running a Div-1 sports program eludes me......I will assume the state of La gives Louisiana Tech an annual operating budget to help run the University which now in the "post Katrina" era the amount is even smaller.....At that point, does the Louisiana Tech staff divide up the total amount to fund its various departments, therefore a percentage of that total budget is used to fund the athletic department? If this is the case....obviously the percetage is too small.....I'm curious to know...what are the legalities of investing more into the athletic budget? For example.....I know the athletic department gets $25 or so from each students tuition....(although I think I've read either there is some red-tape that makes it hard to spend that money....or JO just doesn't spend it), anyway.....I want to know...why can't the University just raise tuition $100 or so and have it all go directly to the athletic budget?......so.....(based on average of 10,000 students attending) approx. $300,000/year (assuming 3-quaters).....that could help out the athletic budget keep the quality coaches we have.....attract the quality coaches we want....and improve our facilities....
    I'd dare to say that if it's not "legal" to raise tuition solely for athletics....than make it an option to add to the tuition and classifiy it as a "donation" on behalf of the student......

Anyway...if any of you BBB'ers have the time and energy....I'd love one of you to give me the low down on some of the "can" and "can nots" of funding an athletic budget.....
    #1. You MIGHT wanna check your math... $100 x 10,000 (base average students) = $1,000,000 x 3 Qtrs = $3,000,000 Now I'm starting to like your thinking! :icon_razz

#2. Budget... AHAHHA... spending.... HAHA, what's the point of that... isn't that what a football team is used for?

Champ Jen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really nice Jen_Leigh's Avatar

why can't the University just raise tuition $100 or so and have it all go directly to the athletic budget?.
    hey hey hey i'm all for my athletics but im on a tight budget here its bad enough im scraping to get my funds together for college . . . but yea that does sound like a good idea . . . but i wish they would spend the money we give them already . . . it makes me so upset to see we are paying an athletic fee and it is not being used . . . i mean if we all do give an extra $75 it still probably would not be used . . .

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Boston:
    • In Louisiana, the 3 Division I-A schools in the ULS system, Tech, ULL, and ULM are allowed to transfer about $2.8 million per year from their budgets for athletics. This has risen from between $1.2 and $1.5 million, which was the maximum transfer allowable when Tech became a I-A member during the 1989-1990 school year and then throughout the early 1990s.
    • Tech’s total athletics budget in the late 1980’s was about $4 million and rose to $4.7 million by the 1993-1994 school year, according to the Monroe News-Star, which did a series of in-depth stories on Tech’s athletic department upon the departure of Jerry Stovall as AD in 1994. Depending upon the source, Tech’s current athletics budget is around $9 million.
    • In the past 5 years, Tech and ULL have both quietly lobbied its governing board, without success so far, to increase the maximum transfer for I-A schools by larger amounts without any type of tuition increase. Both schools felt as if their total budgets could allow for greater transfers.
    • As has been previously posted on this board, schools similar to Tech in surrounding states have larger transfer amounts per student and larger total transfer amounts, in some cases dramatically larger.
    • Even if Tech wanted to increase tuition, it would have to win approval from the state legislature. In the 1990s, the state legislature moved to ban tuition increases without legislative approval. When the ban went into affect, Louisiana already had one of the lowest tuition rates in the country for all of its colleges and universities, including the ULS schools, which led to lower faculty pay, poorer facilities, etc., than other southern states. Since then, it has been difficult for any of the governing boards to increase tuition, which has only made matters worse.
    • Complicating matters is the fact the legislature mandates that almost all tuition increase have to be covered by TOPS, the state’s scholarship program for students who are able to achieve minimum high school GPAs and standardized test scores. However, many fee increases, such as the athletics fee the students passed in April, 2004 at Tech and ULL, are not.
    Dwayne and RealityCheck would have more info, but I hope this helps.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

"the state of La gives Louisiana Tech an annual operating budget to help run the University which now in the "post Katrina" era the amount is even smaller"

Boston:

One thing to keep in mind is the fact, while the state initially believed it's revenues would suffer in 2006 because of Katrina, the state is actually awash in cash. Revenues this year will be hundreds of millions more than expected.

Big Dog BOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the roughBOSTON is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian
    Boston:
    • In Louisiana, the 3 Division I-A schools in the ULS system, Tech, ULL, and ULM are allowed to transfer about $2.8 million per year from their budgets for athletics. This has risen from between $1.2 and $1.5 million, which was the maximum transfer allowable when Tech became a I-A member during the 1989-1990 school year and then throughout the early 1990s.
    • Tech’s total athletics budget in the late 1980’s was about $4 million and rose to $4.7 million by the 1993-1994 school year, according to the Monroe News-Star, which did a series of in-depth stories on Tech’s athletic department upon the departure of Jerry Stovall as AD in 1994. Depending upon the source, Tech’s current athletics budget is around $9 million.
    • In the past 5 years, Tech and ULL have both quietly lobbied its governing board, without success so far, to increase the maximum transfer for I-A schools by larger amounts without any type of tuition increase. Both schools felt as if their total budgets could allow for greater transfers.
    • As has been previously posted on this board, schools similar to Tech in surrounding states have larger transfer amounts per student and larger total transfer amounts, in some cases dramatically larger.
    • Even if Tech wanted to increase tuition, it would have to win approval from the state legislature. In the 1990s, the state legislature moved to ban tuition increases without legislative approval. When the ban went into affect, Louisiana already had one of the lowest tuition rates in the country for all of its colleges and universities, including the ULS schools, which led to lower faculty pay, poorer facilities, etc., than other southern states. Since then, it has been difficult for any of the governing boards to increase tuition, which has only made matters worse.
    • Complicating matters is the fact the legislature mandates that almost all tuition increase have to be covered by TOPS, the state’s scholarship program for students who are able to achieve minimum high school GPAs and standardized test scores. However, many fee increases, such as the athletics fee the students passed in April, 2004 at Tech and ULL, are not.
    Dwayne and RealityCheck would have more info, but I hope this helps.

THANKS FOR THE POST!!!!

BUT.....

#1) Does this mean that LSU is allowed to transfer more funds to athletics because their in a different system???? if so....that sux the goob!!!! If they are not allowed to xfer more than they are defintiely getting the money from somewhere...and it has to be more than just boosters.....

#2) Doesn't make a whole lot of sense for their to be so much red tape in getting a tuition increase??? Don't get me wrong.....I'm not saying let them charge what they want to charge....but I also don't like the State Legis. to define what the Tech education is worth....especially with the strides Tech has been able to accomplish over the past few years...such as selective admission....and becoming a Tier III University ...Tech has a quality product and should get a quality price for it.....and again...I'm not stating let them charge what they want...but give Tech enough ability to be in control of their own destiny!!!!! I'm mean look at what they have done on a shoe string budget!

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

see the article I posted in General News and Campus Life, La. students avoid fee increase.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

All Louisiana Division I-A universities are allowed to transfer the same amount of money from the General Fund to Athletics. Here is the breakdown for all campuses statewide for the 2005-2006 fiscal year at set by the Board of Regents:

NCAA Division I-A (LSU A&M, Tech, ULL, ULM)--$2,875,751
    NCAA Division I-AA (Grambling, McNeese, Nicholls, Northwestern, Southern A&M, Southeastern)--$2,525,502
    NCAA Division I-AAA (UNO)--$1,975,167
    NAIA (LSUS, Southern-NO)--$560,769
    NJCAA (Delgado CC, Bossier Parish CC)--$682,793
    NJCAA (LSUE, Baton Rouge CC, Southern-Shreveport)--$673,100

Under current Board of Regents' rules, student fee amounts collected for athletics reduce the general fund transfer amount dollar-for-dollar. That's the reason Tech's collected student fees have not been spent yet...they could not increase the budget.

The 2006-2007 General Fund transfer notification and maximum preset amounts are usually posted in June...they aren't posted yet but should be soon.

The 2004-2005 General Fund Transfer maximum of $2,787,589 was 25.3% of Tech's total athletic revenues. Here are a few comparisons of selected schools outside Louisiana between student athletic fees and total athletics revenues....

Southern Miss 2004-2005 (budgeted)--$3,750,000 budgeted student fees, $13,150,178 budgeted revenue (28.5%)

UTEP 2003-2004 (budgeted)--$1,945,000 budgeted student service fee transfers to athletics (37.6% of total budgeted student fee transfers for the university).
    UTEP listed $7,176,943 of budgeted athletic revenue and $11,126,943 in budgeted athletic expenses. That left a budgeted shortfall of $3,950,000 that had to be covered by student fees or other fund transfers (35.5% of the total budget).

Miami (Ohio) 2004-2005 from its Agreed Upon Procedures Report--$10,291,120 in student fees collected out of $20,558,287 in total athletic revenues (50.1%)

Ohio University 2004-2005 from its Agreed Upon Procedures Report--$10,199,558 in "Support from E&E Fund" (comparable to Tech's General Fund transfer) out of $13,106,281 in total athletic revenues (77.8%)

http://www2.indystar.com/NCAA_financ...w?school_id=41

Not sure if this has been posted before...but I came across this website....select any school and you can see the Total Revenue vs Total Expenses with respect to a Universities Athletic budget..... If every La school is spotted approx. 3 million for athletic departments....than the rest comes from everything in the report.....

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

http://www2.indystar.com/NCAA_financ...w?school_id=41

Not sure if this has been posted before...but I came across this website....select any school and you can see the Total Revenue vs Total Expenses with respect to a Universities Athletic budget..... If every La school is spotted approx. 3 million for athletic departments....than the rest comes from everything in the report.....
    This database contains the information from the 2004-2005 fiscal year Agreed Upon Procedures Reports that were due to the NCAA January 15. The numbers listed match what I quoted for Tech, Miami (Ohio), and Ohio University.

At first glance it looks like 89 of the 117 2004 Division I-A schools plus the F*Us were included among the 166 schools that complied with the request and submitted their reports. I'm going to try to put together an analysis of some of the data over the next couple of days.

The 166 schools listed are about half of the Division I membership. For those interested, 14 of 159 schools (7 either didn't breakdown by sport or don't sponsor WBB) reported a profit on women's basketball with Connecticut netting $1,475,661. Tech is 50th of the 159 losing $439,329. Tennessee is 147th losing $1,721,738...no wonder the Lady Vols asked to get out of the annual home-and-home in Ruston. By contrast 81 of the 160 breaking down by sport show a profit in men's basketball with Tech at 129th losing $484,571.
    Last edited by RealityCheck; 06-10-2006 at 09:43 PM.

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

THANKS FOR THE POST!!!!

BUT.........that sux the goob!!!!
    great quote BOSTON!

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck
    NCAA Division I-A (LSU A&M, Tech, ULL, ULM)--$2,875,751
    NCAA Division I-AA (Grambling, McNeese, Nicholls, Northwestern, Southern A&M, Southeastern)--$2,525,502

NCAA Division I-AAA (UNO)--$1,975,167
    NAIA (LSUS, Southern-NO)--$560,769
    NJCAA (Delgado CC, Bossier Parish CC)--$682,793
    NJCAA (LSUE, Baton Rouge CC, Southern-Shreveport)--$673,100
    WOW! BPCC gets more cash than LSUS?

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck
    This database contains the information from the 2004-2005 fiscal year Agreed Upon Procedures Reports that were due to the NCAA January 15. The numbers listed match what I quoted for Tech, Miami (Ohio), and Ohio University.

At first glance it looks like 89 of the 117 2004 Division I-A schools plus the F*Us were included among the 166 schools that complied with the request and submitted their reports. I'm going to try to put together an analysis of some of the data over the next couple of days.

The 166 schools listed are about half of the Division I membership. For those interested, 14 of 159 schools (7 either didn't breakdown by sport or don't sponsor WBB) reported a profit on women's basketball with Connecticut netting $1,475,661. Tech is 50th of the 159 losing $439,329. Tennessee is 147th losing $1,721,738...no wonder the Lady Vols asked to get out of the annual home-and-home in Ruston. By contrast 81 of the 160 breaking down by sport show a profit in men's basketball with Tech at 129th losing $484,571.
    Tennessee lost $1.7 million in one year on women's BB, and then upped their coach's salary to $1 million. Ahhhh, the BCS, tilting all college sports out of balance.

Varsity Bulldog johnnyba99 has turned a few heads around herejohnnyba99 has turned a few heads around herejohnnyba99 has turned a few heads around here johnnyba99's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian
    Boston:
    Also something to add, during this time period where it appears Tech increased the budget 4.7 to 9 million is that this was the same period when Title 9 required equal opportunity for women's sports none of which bring in more money than they spend. That can dilute the funds very quickly for a DI school even when the budget is nearly doubled. This is also the very reason Tech must play football games they have very little chance of winning.

+ Reply to Thread