+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Middle East War

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Middle East War

I am happy that you aren't an anti-Semite. But I don't understand your enthusiasm for Israel's treatment of it neighbors? Why didn't the U.S. bring the victims of the Nazis here and allow them to compete for success in our society? Obviously, that wouldn't have been difficult and there wouldn't be a little nation with a chip on its shoulder constantly coming up with a reason to attack some one in a part of the world that hardly offers the natural resources to maintain a minimal population.

Aub, have you watched the news in the last couple of days? Israel didn't start this mess. The Raghead Islamists hate two things. Jews and Americans. You are included as one of the hated.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by saltydawg
    Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

-Jesus
    Context is my only response to that. Yes, it is in the Sermon on the Mount, but there are plenty of examples when God sent His people into battle! And, you liberals definitely wouldn't like the way they were instructed to fight - they took no prisoners.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aubunique
    Christianity is NOTHING but what Jesus taught.
    Jesus taught the He and the Father are one. The Bible is clear that it is the word of God. Your above statement implies that if Jesus didn't say it while he was on the earth, it isn't applicable. That's totally counter to Jesus' teaching as he didn't come to abolish the law, but fulfill it. So, it comes down to what you believe about Jesus. I agree with C. S. Lewis who said that Jesus was either the Son of the living God, a liar, or a lunatic. Once you figure out which of those three you believe He was, you'll be able to avoid statements like the one I've quoted.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Tyler, God is the personification of goodness. Goodness never helped anyone kill anyone else.
    AUB, the Lord is a righteous, holy and yes JEALOUS GOD per the Bible. HE is very protective and jealous of our Jewish brothers. HE is always watching them even though HE appears to turn a blind eye toward them at times. As we have discussed before I suggest you read the new and old Test. again if you do not remember GOD's own hand and by His word directing the destruction and killing of peoples and nations of the past. HE will also send the scroll, trumpet and bowl plagues in the approaching "End Days" that will kill BILLIONS on this earth (read Revelations again as well as some of the old Test. Prophets). HE will also condemn BILLIONS to eternity in HELL. But even through this HIS only wish is that none would need to parish. And HE will give every chance for mankind to come to HIM. I repeat, HE is not just a touchy, feely "everyone is going to heaven" GOD.

Remember again the following:

Ps 111:10 - The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.
    Pr 1:7 - The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline.
    Pr 9:10 - "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.

Yes, he is a loving GOD but also one to fear and follow IMHO.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Tyler, why after losing so many innocent people as they did in the holocaust and managing to survive, why did the surviving Jews return to the Middle East and allow their younger generation to become bullies, not toward Nazis but toward their close racial and religious cousins?

Christianity is NOTHING but what Jesus taught. And war-mongering and bullying other nations was not a part of it. Was the 9-11 attack retribution for our helping Israel dominate the Middle East?

Was it retribution for electing an anti-Arab president?

I am happy that you aren't an anti-Semite. But I don't understand your enthusiasm for Israel's treatment of it neighbors? Why didn't the U.S. bring the victims of the Nazis here and allow them to compete for success in our society? Obviously, that wouldn't have been difficult and there wouldn't be a little nation with a chip on its shoulder constantly coming up with a reason to attack some one in a part of the world that hardly offers the natural resources to maintain a minimal population.

If a nuclear weapon is used anytime soon, maybe you hotheads will realize how horrible that would be and stop talking as though war is no worse than a football game in which all the wounded get quick treatment and the losers suffer nothing but short-term embarrassment.

Get a clue. People are dying over there and human beings all count one with the Creator.
    AUB, there are so many misconceptions in that post, about me as well as the situation at hand, I really do not know where to start or have the time to reply at this moment. I am getting ready to head to Europe for 2 weeks and I fear this will drag into that time frame.

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear.

-Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

It is between fifty and sixty years since I read it [the Apocalypse], and I then considered it merely the ravings of a maniac, no more worthy nor capable of explanation than the incoherences of our own nightly dreams.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to General Alexander Smyth, Jan. 17, 1825

The whole history of these books [the Gospels] is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Adams, January 24, 1814

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Thanks for quoting Jefferson on the subject. He is a great help in understanding.

The biggest shock I experienced the first year on BBB (was it 98 or 99?) was how literally some of our fellow Tech graduates take everything in the Bible and how unwilling some are to consider it in the context of all available ancient literature as well as the findings of science.

Apparently, not every professor succeeded in teaching people to question, think and consider before settling on lifetime opinions. It is nice to learn something every day. That is one reason many of us read things we don't expect to agree with and try to understand the basis of other people's opinions.

The most difficult thing may be trying to understand how so many people are concerned that no fetus die but are enthusiastic about sending those their antiabortion rules keep alive to war a few years later or paying them minimum wage or denying them full benefits if they survive, etc.

If Jesus were in the Middle East to referee, what would he do?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbitten
    The whole history of these books [the Gospels] is so defective and doubtful that it seems vain to attempt minute enquiry into it: and such tricks have been played with their text, and with the texts of other books relating to them, that we have a right, from that cause, to entertain much doubt what parts of them are genuine. In the New Testament there is internal evidence that parts of it have proceeded from an extraordinary man; and that other parts are of the fabric of very inferior minds. It is as easy to separate those parts, as to pick out diamonds from dunghills.

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Adams, January 24, 1814
    HUM... interesting.. I was not aware that there was a Gospel of Thomas Jefferson. There were, however, many of our early leaders that were devote Bible believing Christians. And that would include both of the old and new testaments.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Speaking of taking something in context...

Those three quotes by Jefferson need to be for sure. I think I'll take my chances with the writings of John. If I'm wrong I have nothing to lose.

BTW, the entire Bible must be taken in context. Can't just start jerking verses out and using them where a person feels the fit.

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg

Those three quotes by Jefferson need to be for sure. I think I'll take my chances with the writings of John. If I'm wrong I have nothing to lose.

BTW, the entire Bible must be taken in context. Can't just start jerking verses out and using them where a person feels the fit.
    You got that right!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Thanks for quoting Jefferson on the subject. He is a great help in understanding.

The biggest shock I experienced the first year on BBB (was it 98 or 99?) was how literally some of our fellow Tech graduates take everything in the Bible and how unwilling some are to consider it in the context of all available ancient literature as well as the findings of science.

Apparently, not every professor succeeded in teaching people to question, think and consider before settling on lifetime opinions. It is nice to learn something every day. That is one reason many of us read things we don't expect to agree with and try to understand the basis of other people's opinions.

The most difficult thing may be trying to understand how so many people are concerned that no fetus die but are enthusiastic about sending those their antiabortion rules keep alive to war a few years later or paying them minimum wage or denying them full benefits if they survive, etc.

If Jesus were in the Middle East to referee, what would he do?
    Do you believe in truth? I'm not asking you to go as far as saying that the Bible is the truth, just that truth exists.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg

Here is the whole context to John Adams.

http://yamaguchy.netfirms.com/jefferson/adams.html

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Wouldn't we all just like to stick our heads in the sand and assume that God is only loving. We try to put Him in our point of reference all the time and it just never works. Its hard to understand a loving God who is also a just one.

I'm siding with Israel on this one. God made an everlasting covenant, and everlasting isn't over yet. I wouldn't want to be Hezbollah - or Lebanon or Iran for that matter.

+ Reply to Thread