+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Student voice is heard...

2006 ESPN Mr. Bracket "T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice"T" is just really nice "T"'s Avatar

Student voice is heard...

Today at 2:00 a meeting was held concerning nearly $400,000 in student fees that have been raised specifically for the Louisiana Tech athletic program and how to spend it. Nearly ever key player in the decision making was present, DR, JO, and many more, and were given the voice of the students by SGA president Caleb Smith. I spoke with him before the meeting and gave him my ideas on what should be done. Being a sports minded president, thank Jesus we have one at the SGA level at least, he called many of the avid student Tech fans and came up with a resoundingly similar list of desired improvements:

Jumbotron
    Stadium Lights
    Refurbished TAC floor
    Video Scoreboard
    Track Facilities
    Finishing the Fence Project (all the way around the practice field and other facilities in the area)

These were among the top of the list... Weather or not these will be listened to, they were presented to the highest authorities by Caleb Smith, SGA president, today.

"T"

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Student voice is heard...

An excellent list and job by you guys! Keep it up.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

The meeting is next Tuesday.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Go get 'em Caleb Smith!
    We will all be waiting to hear the outcome.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Tear down all the cyclone fences, then put our horticulture dept to work and let them plant as many trees or shrubs as they want. I drove by this morning, and folks, without a doubt the track "facility is by far our biggest eyesore. Unfortunately, it's the first thing you notice when topping the hill on Tech Drive. It's makes one wonder what DR's looking at when he drives by everyday?

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Planting an assortment of ivy, trumpet flower vines, wild grape, etc., along chain link fences makes a more attractive barrier than an expensive fence. That money must be used well.

Being short, fat, bald and ugly myself probably makes me more comfortable with the diversity of nature than many people are.

When I see a person driving a shiny new car, especially a gas-guzzler, I think of the bad things such as waste of resources, possibility of the driver actually being in major debt, the possibility that the soapy water used to wash the machine was allowed to enter the watershed without being treated, etc. I confess to having been proud to buy new cars and drive them when I was young. Now I take pride in maintaining a 16-year-old vehicle and waiting for rain to improve its shine! The beautiful vegetation in my yard and the wildlife need all the clean water I can afford.

I want major facility improvement, but ostentatious facilities don't make me want to donate.
    We need a jumbotron in today's world. Possibly, the fake turf is going to work well. I hope so.

When I see workers tearing up fences and replacing usable equipment constantly at the University of Arkansas while donors are being begged away from their hometown needs, I feel disgust.

Getting support from people for the things they value is the key. Safety and functionality are the concerns that evoke my interest. Others want eye-candy and must help pay for it. Eye-candy is like real candy. Not everyone prefers the same flavor and not everyone has to have the expensive brand to enjoy it.

I hope a method of freeing the money for a significant expenditure is found soon.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Listen to Dwayne's idea for the Ladies building. That's prolly the most pressing need outside of lights at the Joe.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Until the Board of Regents allows the student fee money to be used for something other than the budget, no meetings or wish lists will change anything.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck
    Until the Board of Regents allows the student fee money to be used for something other than the budget, no meetings or wish lists will change anything.
    I've heard something similar to this. Could you please expound a little more.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123
    I've heard something similar to this. Could you please expound a little more.
    The Board of Regents rules that went into effect July 1, 2001 (and haven't been amended...yet), state that student fee money for athletics (specifically undesignated money like Tech's) must reduce the rest of the General Fund transfer to athletics dollar-for-dollar. That won't fly since it would give Tech no additional benefit.

In the June 30 letter from the Board of Regents to the system presidents that announced the 2006-2007 General Fund transfer limits, this statement was included....
    "Although we have committed to reviewing the athletic program support policy for possible revision, and preliminary discussions of that effort have begun, specific revisions are not currently developed. For budget preparation purposes, it will be necessary to comply with the current policy provisions."

Until there is a change in athletic support policy or a waiver for Tech that releases the collected fees for a use other than the budget, the money won't be spent.

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

The Board of Regents rules that went into effect July 1, 2001 (and haven't been amended...yet), state that student fee money for athletics (specifically undesignated money like Tech's) must reduce the rest of the General Fund transfer to athletics dollar-for-dollar. That won't fly since it would give Tech no additional benefit.

In the June 30 letter from the Board of Regents to the system presidents that announced the 2006-2007 General Fund transfer limits, this statement was included....
    "Although we have committed to reviewing the athletic program support policy for possible revision, and preliminary discussions of that effort have begun, specific revisions are not currently developed. For budget preparation purposes, it will be necessary to comply with the current policy provisions."

Until there is a change in athletic support policy or a waiver for Tech that releases the collected fees for a use other than the budget, the money won't be spent.
    Could the students vote to dedicate or re-dedicate the funds to a specific project?

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

I would like to see the original proposal to collect student fees for athletics. If anyone has it please post it here. Thanks.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

That clears it up for me, thanks.

Champ NathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond reputeNathanDarby has a reputation beyond repute NathanDarby's Avatar

So how did ULL and ULM get to use theirs for facilities and we can't? Were their student proposals worded differently?

Or is it that we actually could use the money for facilities right now, but have chosen not to in order to wait for rule changes that allow us to use it for general athletic budget?

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NathanDarby
    So how did ULL and ULM get to use theirs for facilities and we can't? Were their student proposals worded differently?

Or is it that we actually could use the money for facilities right now, but have chosen not to in order to wait for rule changes that allow us to use it for general athletic budget?
    Yes. I am fairly certain we could use the money for facilities right now if DR and JO chose to. They are still clinging to the hope that thy can one day use it for our general operating budget.

+ Reply to Thread