+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shreveport/Bossier Colleges of Choice

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Shreveport/Bossier Colleges of Choice

We all know that the Shreveport media spends most of its time and effort covering lsubr with limited attention given to north Louisiana. For some reason they seem to think that everyone in north Louisiana is as interested in south Louisiana as they are. But they are overlooking the fact that many people in the north have ties to the area schools.

I have taken data from the "Weddings and Engagements" section of the Times from the July 9, 16, 23, 30 and August 6, 13, and 20th editions. These young people listed a total of 42 colleges and universtities in their announcements. Thirty two of these schools only had one or two attendees. A total of 58 people did not attend college. The 10 schools with three or more people attending them are:

1. La Tech . . . . . 31
    2. LSUS . . . . . . 20
    3. LSUBR . . . . . . 18
    4. ULM . . . . . . . 13
    5. Northwestern . . 11
    6. Centenary . . . . 7
    7. BPCC . . . . . . 5
    8. SMU . . . . . . . 4
    9. Memphis . . . . . 4
    10. Tulane . . . . . 3

I have sent a polite email to Scott Ferrell suggesting that, based on these numbers, there might be people in north Louisiana that would like more coverage of area schools. The people in this study population with ties to lsubr comprise 8.3%.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Re: Shreveport/Bossier Colleges of Choice

Sadly, though, half those Tech grads are probably LSU fans.

Still, I hope it has some affect. The Times just annoys me with its extreme focus on LSU.

Champ 96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough 96bulldog's Avatar

This is outstanding research! Thanks for taking the time to do this. It shows that there are more people in the Shreveport Times' readership that have ties to Tech -- more than any other school!

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

Maybe this should also be sent to TECH's marketing department. Spending a little money in Shreveport on marketing makes since.

OleDawg66, if you get a response I would love to hear it. I think I already know what they would say. "Because lsus is part of lsu those numbers should be put together." Which is complete BS. They are in the same system, they are not the same school. If that's the case add TECH, ulm, ull, (I even think nws and bpcc are part of the University of Louisiana System) together and then look at the numbers.

Sorry for the ramblings! Thanks for that information. It really gets me when I talk to TECH grads that wanted a certain Masters degree and went to lsus to get it and then turn their backs on TECH and support a school they didn't even attend.(lsu)

Champ Bossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really nice Bossdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oledawg66 View Post
    A total of 58 people did not attend college.
    This is why the shreveport times covers LSU, Shreveport is filled with uneducated people.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I have often noted how many people in the engagements/marriage stories in The Times are Tech alums. It appears we are easily the majority. Sadly, though, I must agree with what TechDawgMC said. We need to begin our marketing with our own students and alumni.

If Tech alums were loyal to, and supportive of, their own school we would have no attendance problems.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LITEMAN View Post
    Maybe this should also be sent to TECH's marketing department. Spending a little money in Shreveport on marketing makes since.

OleDawg66, if you get a response I would love to hear it. I think I already know what they would say. "Because lsus is part of lsu those numbers should be put together." Which is complete BS. They are in the same system, they are not the same school. If that's the case add TECH, ulm, ull, (I even think nws and bpcc are part of the University of Louisiana System) together and then look at the numbers.

Sorry for the ramblings! Thanks for that information. It really gets me when I talk to TECH grads that wanted a certain Masters degree and went to lsus to get it and then turn their backs on TECH and support a school they didn't even attend.(lsu)

I think have an answer for them if they claim LSUS as part of lsubr. When I got out of the Air Force and came back to Shreveport, I got a 2nd undergrad degree from LSUS so that I could get a Masters through La Tech at Barksdale. Ask me which school I am a fan of. I do have two favorite teams. La Tech and whoever is playing lswho .

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Even though media likes to say that it responds to the interests of the people, it ALSO is responsible for GENERATING interest. If the headline in the Sports Section was TECH on most days, more interest in Tech would be generated.

We are the ONLY D1 school within a 100 miles of Shreveport. If the Times would build us up, it would benefit US, SHREVEPORT, and The TIMES! They just don't realize what they are passing up.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Even though media likes to say that it responds to the interests of the people, it ALSO is responsible for GENERATING interest. If the headline in the Sports Section was TECH on most days, more interest in Tech would be generated.

We are the ONLY D1 school within a 100 miles of Shreveport. If the Times would build us up, it would benefit US, SHREVEPORT, and The TIMES! They just don't realize what they are passing up.
    A home run comment. It could be a great symbiotic relationship between Tech and The Times. They share LSU with every other publication. They could own the Tech story!

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post

YOu nailed it. It really should be a no-brainer for those idiots. They help us, we help them.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

In the early 70's when I went to Tech, there was a lot of Tech coverage and almost no LSU coverage in the Times. What happened?
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

There was a lot of coverage in the Shreveport Journal. Color pictures, human interest stories, pre-game write-ups, game write-ups. They also covered Northwestern and Northeastern pretty good. I really miss their presence in Shreveport.

Big Dog DarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really niceDarboneDon is just really nice

Guys, there is a great bilboard on interstate 20 between West Monroe and Ruston, featuring Bradshaw and Malone asking people to visit their school, Louisiana Tech. Looks really good.

Varsity Bulldog techstudent09 is a name known to alltechstudent09 is a name known to alltechstudent09 is a name known to alltechstudent09 is a name known to alltechstudent09 is a name known to alltechstudent09 is a name known to alltechstudent09 is a name known to alltechstudent09 is a name known to alltechstudent09 is a name known to alltechstudent09 is a name known to alltechstudent09 is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    A home run comment. It could be a great symbiotic relationship between Tech and The Times. They share LSU with every other publication. They could own the Tech story!
    It is amazing that The Advocate, the Baton Rouge paper, has twice as many articles as the Shreveport times about tech simply amazing.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    It really should be a no-brainer for those idiots. They help us, we help them.
    It should be a no-brainer, but the blurple and yellow people keep running that bowl in the ground. Perhaps it will die so Tech people can revive it again.

+ Reply to Thread