+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Duck Hunting

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Duck Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Easydawg View Post
    Still working with Tech on finalizing the plan, but it appears that the hunt portion of our 1st ever Tech duck hunt will be $300 per person for a Saturday and Sunday morning hunt. Jan 13 and 14th. Hopefully the flyer will be out this week and available at the ball game Saturday night. I however will not be there due to the distance and the number of ducks reported at our camp. I will be out next week as well deer hunting in northern Louisiana.

Details should be "firm" by next week with hotel information for those out-of-town dawgs. Working on a group rate at a downtown hotel and a Saturday night dinner.

We need a minimum of 20 guns and can handle a max. of 40.

Send me or Easydawg a PM if you are interested and we will make sure you get a brochure.

Hats off to Easydawg for pulling this together, and if you don't get any ducks, string him up!

Puppy cocodrieman is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Details should be "firm" by next week with hotel information for those out-of-town dawgs. Working on a group rate at a downtown hotel and a Saturday night dinner.

We need a minimum of 20 guns and can handle a max. of 40.

Send me or Easydawg a PM if you are interested and we will make sure you get a brochure.

Hats off to Easydawg for pulling this together, and if you don't get any ducks, string him up!
    Add me to your list of confirmed hunters. I will watch post more diligently to keep up with what I need to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ARKDAWG02 View Post
    There are alot of ducks on the Arkansas River. A huge flight of Gadwall must have come in late last week. It doesn't seem to matter where you go they're everywhere. I saw some ring necks today, must have been 100.

BTW Cocidrieman, I grew up fishing and hunting Loutre and Corney creeks and still did even after I moved to El Dorado but haven't been back since I moved to Russellville back in 1994. I bet we have fished and hunted many of the same places. Be interested in hearing some stories.
    I started Tech in 1958 and beginning about 1960, I hunted with another Shreveporter all over the N La woods. We really liked to float creeks that were flooded so that we could get into woods and silently stalk squealers and mallards. We occasionally picked off a squirrel, often catching the falling game with a landing net! Squirrels don't float long if they are filled with no. 6 shot from a Model 12. We hunted mainly out of a 10' double pointed pirouge that still exists by being incased in fiberglass applied about that time. We did finally get a slightly longer and wider boat which was CONSIDERABLY safer.

My favorite spots were on DeLoutre upstream from the Farmerville-Sterlington hiway (Patterson lake area and Phillips lake) but downstream was special, too. We hunted Corney Lake above the Jct City-Summerville road crossing and on the creek below the lake all the way to what is now L D'Arbonne. Of course, we hit D'Arbonne, too, mostly above the lake and later even below. We also floated places like Cypress creek between Ruston and D'Arbonne, Dugdemona, Middle and N forks of D'Arbonne, and others whose names escape me. Those were mosly only possible after big rains.

In those days, we were mainly after squealers and only after we extended our range to DeLoutre and Turkey Creek Lake did we really do much with mallards. Even today I try to get to those spots maybe once a year but access is becoming a problem, esp for Patterson lake.

Let me hear about your adventures.
    Last edited by cocodrieman; 11-19-2006 at 03:59 PM. Reason: timed out

I started Tech in 1958 and beginning about 1960, I hunted with another Shreveporter all over the N La woods. We really liked to float creeks that were flooded so that we could get into woods and silently stalk squealers and mallards. We occasionally picked off a squirrel, often catching the falling game with a landing net! Squirrels don't float long if they are filled with no. 6 shot from a Model 12. We hunted mainly out of a 10' double pointed pirouge that still exists by being incased in fiberglass applied about that time. We did finally get a slightly longer and wider boat which was CONSIDERABLY safer.

My favorite spots were on DeLoutre upstream from the Farmerville-Sterlington hiway (Patterson lake area and Phillips lake) but downstream was special, too. We hunted Corney Lake above the Jct City-Summerville road crossing and on the creek below the lake all the way to what is now L D'Arbonne. Of course, we hit D'Arbonne, too, mostly above the lake and later even below. We also floated places like Cypress creek between Ruston and D'Arbonne, Dugdemona, Middle and N forks of D'Arbonne, and others whose names escape me. Those were mosly only possible after big rains.

In those days, we were mainly after squealers and only after we extended our range to DeLoutre and Turkey Creek Lake did we really do much with mallards. Even today I try to get to those spots maybe once a year but access is becoming a problem, esp for Patterson lake.

Champ ARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really nice ARKDAWG02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cocodrieman View Post

I've been to many of the places you mentioned. I used to fish above Patterson Lake and did some duck hunting there also. Killed mostly woodies but every now and then a mallard. One of my favorite places on the Loutre was a place we called Pope Lake which was north of the Sterlington Hwy above Phillips Ferry Lake. It was one of those long lake stretches but above and below the creek spread out all over the bottom. My grandfather took me in there when I was a kid. We caught alot of fish in those runs where there was kind of a creek channel. That was some kind of muddy fishing. Wading around in the mud and snakes but pulling out some nice stringers of bass.

I fished almost all of Loutre from above the state line in Arkansas all the way to the Ouachita River. I really miss that but I have alot of creeks and lakes to fish and hunt up here in this part of Arkansas. One nice thing here as far as duck hunting is the Arkansas River is a sort of mini flyway for ducks out of Oklahoma. I think alot of ducks work down the river and you never know what you'll see. Opening weekend we killed mostly gadwalls, a few teal and a pintail. Later in the season there's usually some cans that come through. Pretty good stuff.

I left out some details about hunting on DeLoutre which is really my favorite hill country swamp bayou. The area above Phillips Lake is complex and there are spots with mallards there almost every timeI visit. You do have to paddle a long ways into thick woods to get to the places I like but the trees and solitude are worth it, even if I don't fire a shot.

Patterson Lake is even more beautiful with the huge old cypresses and hills and also solitude. Mallards are indeed rare there but I have seen a few, esp with the woods flooded after big rains.

I am planning to scout above Phillips Lake this coming weekend and maybe get a shot. I may even look at Corney Lake and see if I can find the blind that I helped build about 1961. I saw it a few years ago so it may still be recognizable. We did get a lot of mallards out of that blind but the area doesn't look like it used to.

Is there any firm decision about the Jan 13-14 Ark hunt that is being discussed? I'd like to do it but haven't heard anything yet.

By the way, I always wanted to float DeLoutre from Ark on down. I'm glad someone has seen it!

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

The details are set for the first annual Memphis Champs Duck Hunt.
    We have up to 40 spots reserved for hunters on Saturday (Jan 13th) and Sunday (Jan. 14th) in Waldenburg, Arkansas, located approximately 70 miles from Memphis, Tennessee.

Hunters can try their luck either day or both days for only $150 per hunter per day. The total for two days of hunting is $300. This includes a professional guide for blind.

A block of rooms is reserved at the French Quarter Suites in Memphis, located at 2144 Madison Avenue at historic Overton Square. This hotel is within walking distance of the shopping, dining, and night life of the Midtown area and is only 4 miles from historic Beale Street.

Two queen or single king suites are available for $59 per night by calling the French Quarter Suites at (901) 728-4000 and asking for the group "Louisiana Tech Champs Duck Shoot". Each person is responsible for their own room reservations.

We will have a group social hour on Friday night at the French Quarter Suites and a group dinner (dutch treat) at a downtown restaurant on Saturday night.

To reserve your spot, send a $75 deposit by December 31st to:

Bryan Graff
    1895 Linden Avenue
    Memphis, TN 38104

The balance will be due the the weekend of the event.

In addition, each hunter can make an additional pledge to CHAMPS by $$ per duck killed with the top hunter on Saturday morning taking away a special prize at our team dinner on Saturday night. In addition, there will be TECH memorabilia available through a silent aunction on Saturday night.

For more information, PM Cool Hand Clyde or Easydawg or call Bryan Graff at (901) 896-9671, Michael Stephens at (901) 237-8962, or Jimmy Hand at (318) 257-2933.

Each hunter will be responsible for procuring the necessary Arkansas hunting permits. The requirements are:

$55 5 day small game permit
    $20 Arkansas duck stamp
    $15 federal duck stamp

Licenses can be obtained on-line at: www.ark.org/agfc/license/index.php

Space is limited so call and reserve your spot now with a $75 deposit. All proceeds from this hunt will benefit the Champs program.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Had to dig out the map. I last hunted that area in the early 90s before the Gazette was sold to the Democrat and put me out of work in Little Rock!

Will the hunting be in fields or woods near Bayou DeView? Whose place is it? Waldenburg is on the east side of DeView in Poinsett County at U.S. 49 and Arkansas 14.

I was considering what coming from Western Arkansas might offer in the way of accommodations at Newport, etc. The extra 150-mile roundtrip to Memphis costs a bit of extra driving time.

A few miles NW the town of Grubbs is just west of Cache River. Ducks all over that area right now. I wish I were there today. It is 69 degrees at noon-30 in Fayetteville but could be -10 at noon-30 in mid-january! Old folk's hands hate freezing weather!

Will the guides allow individuals to use their own Labradors on this hunt?

This sounds like a great event!

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

I think I'll try to post a photo or two on the photophlog to illustrate what Cocodrieman is talking about. May take awhile to do it.

I posted a few shots but one is a scanned in old magazine article with photo and it keeps appearing upside down even though it is flipped and correct on my desktop! Any idea how to flip it once it is online? I guess anyone who wants to read it can drag it to their desktop and flip it there!

Puppy Olddawg65 is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by aubunique View Post
    Had to dig out the map. I last hunted that area in the early 90s before the Gazette was sold to the Democrat and put me out of work in Little Rock!

Will the hunting be in fields or woods near Bayou DeView? Whose place is it? Waldenburg is on the east side of DeView in Poinsett County at U.S. 49 and Arkansas 14.

I was considering what coming from Western Arkansas might offer in the way of accommodations at Newport, etc. The extra 150-mile roundtrip to Memphis costs a bit of extra driving time.

A few miles NW the town of Grubbs is just west of Cache River. Ducks all over that area right now. I wish I were there today. It is 69 degrees at noon-30 in Fayetteville but could be -10 at noon-30 in mid-january! Old folk's hands hate freezing weather!

Will the guides allow individuals to use their own Labradors on this hunt?

This sounds like a great event!
    You can use your own dogs for sure, Aub. I'll let Easydawg fill in more details about the area as this is the camp he belongs to. I know they've had good hunts so far.

I believe Waldenburg may be closer to Little Rock than Memphis or at least equal distance.

I went by the French Quarter Suites and checked out the place. It is nice, not 5 star nice, but definitely a great, great bargain at $59. There were no blocks of rooms available in downtown Memphis as St. Jude's is having some star-studded gala that night with lots of Nashville talent coming to town. We may see some famous folks on Saturday night. Of course, we may get some famous folks in on our duck hunt. Details later when it happens.

Hope you can make it!

Quote Originally Posted by Olddawg65 View Post
    You can use your own dogs for sure, Aub. I'll let Easydawg fill in more details about the area as this is the camp he belongs to. I know they've had good hunts so far.

I believe Waldenburg may be closer to Little Rock than Memphis or at least equal distance.

I went by the French Quarter Suites and checked out the place. It is nice, not 5 star nice, but definitely a great, great bargain at $59. There were no blocks of rooms available in downtown Memphis as St. Jude's is having some star-studded gala that night with lots of Nashville talent coming to town. We may see some famous folks on Saturday night. Of course, we may get some famous folks in on our duck hunt. Details later when it happens.

Hope you can make it!
    The above post is from CHC from his dad's computer. Didn't realize I was logged in on his id.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

P.S. These will be the guides for our hunt.

Guides.jpg
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Do we need to bring extra hunting coats? These girls will be wanting to sit on someone's lap all morning and nobody will be watching the ducks!

Regarding the CHAMPS hunt in Jan, are there some alternate choices available for housing? I have access to free housing inear Jacksonville, Ark, and would like to avoid the Memphis hotel cost. Admittedly, the camaraderie of the larger group would be missed but that could be made up for by seeing a lot of ducks! Of course, if it is really important to keep the group together for the sake of hunt organization, this idea can be ditched.

+ Reply to Thread