+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RVs/Travel Trailers

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

RVs/Travel Trailers

So, my wife and I have always said that when we got the money, we wanted to get a travel trailer. Some of our best memories are camping and we want the kids to have the same types of memories. Well, we don't have the money, but we are looking and our kids are about to be 6 and 8 and we still don't have a trailer. Time is slipping by, so we've decided to bite the bullet and get one.

I need some help, here. Do y'all know of any good websites for someone just starting out to do some research on trailers and what tips can y'all give? Where are some good places to go to look at trailers and where would you go to buy one?

I don't even know what questions to ask right now.

Chris

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Re: RVs/Travel Trailers

How much?:icon_wink: :icon_wink:
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

Thanks a LOT there, Tom! I feel totally prepared to go in and get the right one now thanks to your wisdom and insight!

Geez

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgFan View Post
    Thanks a LOT there, Tom! I feel totally prepared to go in and get the right one now thanks to your wisdom and insight!

Geez
    I admire you pal. If there ever was a time to look into RVs/trailers, now is the time. If I could convince the wife to give up her Holiday Inn Priority card membership, I'd love to do what you're doing.
    Can you tell we're all ready for some football????!!
    tm
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Questions for those of you who HAVE shopped for or bought a travel trailer (that excludes YOU smart a$$!)

Fiberglass or aluminum siding? Pros and cons of each.
    How close to the load limit for my truck should I go? My F150 has a maximum of 8,500#. Should I try to limit to 7,500# or some other number?

Chris

Champ 96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough 96bulldog's Avatar

I seem to remember that when I was looking into getting a pop-up camper that we needed to limit the weight of the trailer (including all the gear and food loaded up) to 85% of the maximum towing capacity. So that would mean you can safely tow 7,225 pounds.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgFan View Post

Fiberglass or aluminum siding?

Chris
    JMO -- Pick whichever best matches your house. Most folks I know mostly use these things for lawn ornaments.

Seriously ............................
    I think I'd probably look for a pre-owned unit in the classifieds; and, for sure do some FAQ sessions with some owners. There must be thousands and thousands of them parked in people's yards, almost just like new, hardly ever used ?? And, I'd bet that everyone who owns one loves to talk about it.

jmo :icon_wink:

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    JMO -- Pick whichever best matches your house. Most folks I know mostly use these things for lawn ornaments.

Seriously ............................
    I think I'd probably look for a pre-owned unit in the classifieds; and, for sure do some FAQ sessions with some owners. There must be thousands and thousands of them parked in people's yards, almost just like new, hardly ever used ?? And, I'd bet that everyone who owns one loves to talk about it.

jmo :icon_wink:
    That's funny. Sort of like owning a boat...The two happiest days of a boat owners life are the day they purchase one and they day they sell it.

Never had a camper other than what I hauled (one time) to the deer camp, but I always wondered why someone would purchase a bumper pull when they could get a fifth wheel for not much more. So much easier to pull and manuver.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Chris, my dad just recently (ayear ago) bought like a 31 foot trailer that he thoroughly researched. He and my mom retired and they travel around with the Voluntary Christian Builders building churches across the US. Shoot me a pm with a number or email and I will see if he can call or email you with all the research or advise you would want. Not only did he research the trailer, he researched which truck he would need to get to pull which trailer he was going to get. He is the ultimate engineer.

+ Reply to Thread