+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Political pump prices?????

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Re: Political pump prices?????

Don't y'all know that the prices are set by the Big Oil CEO's? It's true. Every morning they have a conference call and decide what the price of a gallon of gas will be for the day. At least, that is what Bill O'Reilly thinks.
    Go Tech!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

OF COURSE it is politically motivated! Even the most conservative on here could get this relationship. Not that I don't think Clinton did the same thing, but it is denial to think anything else - either that or naivity.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    OF COURSE it is politically motivated! Even the most conservative on here could get this relationship. Not that I don't think Clinton did the same thing, but it is denial to think anything else - either that or naivity.
    There is some influence, no doubt, but oil is still market driven. I see enough H2s, other SUVs, and other gas guzzlers on the road to know that. Americans love to use some oil.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Perhaps YES......
    Perhaps NO......

Personally...... I am more than content to simply lie back and watch which whore dances with which public pimp pump, from now until election day, and on into our next post ballot box winter.

As stated previously...... We shall not (IMNHO) need any historians to debate any "price at the pump political reality" from August 2006 through the next first Wednesday in November.

BTW..... I have been unable to not chuckle more than a little, while reading the predictable replies of the "usual conservative republican suspects" on this thread to date.

BECAUSE......
    In the ever looming shadows of big dick's, top of the 2000 agenda/TOP SECRET meeting with BIG OIL......
    Continued administration refusal to release these administration minutes/documents......
    Record prices at the pump......
    Record BIG OIL PROFITS......
    One small war on the soil of the second largest known oil reserves on our planet......
    One more than curious DUCK HUNT with scalia......
    republican senate hearings with no Big OIL CEO ever being SWORN to tell anything near the truth......

I am still more than content to watch "pump politics" from now until November...... And eat conservative crow if $3.00 plus American gas is ever again listed on any republican menu between now and our next national election day.

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

not surprising some someone with "Spin" in their name...

...tin foil hat adjustable or fitted?

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

I just want to hear an explanation out of the left on this board that could tell me how politicians could affect the price that much. They could with certain statements, but what has Bush and Cheney done to make oil prices go down over the last month? Please advise. I guess they are paying Hezbollah and Israel to keep it cool until elections. I am sure Hezbollah is going for that one. What other conspiracy theories could there be? Hmm...maybe we are paying Iran to keep cool for a while. Keep them coming guys, it keeps getting funnier. I here a bunch of blah, blah, blah out of Spinoza, but no real facts, just conjecture. They dont release minutes because they wont lefties like you to beat yourself up thinking up some stupid conspiracy theory about nothing.

Champ Bossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really nice Bossdawg's Avatar

I don't really think Iran is playing it cool, they haven't changed their stance since day one, and once again the UN punk card has been pulled and they will do nothing about it. If the UN ever grows balls and sanctions Iran, then I could see an increase in oil prices but not by much. The thing about the market is that it is very efficient, and any information already out in the public is already considered in the stock price, so the fact that Iran could possibly see sanctions because of their nulcear aspirations is has already been reflected in market price.
    So long as sanctions are not imposed on Iran and there are no forseeable unexpected problems in the supply of oil, I do not think it is inconceivable for oil prices to get down to about 65 per barrel by new years.

Now if a refinery in houston or NewOrleans blows up, that is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Bossdawg View Post
    I don't really think Iran is playing it cool, they haven't changed their stance since day one, and once again the UN punk card has been pulled and they will do nothing about it. If the UN ever grows balls and sanctions Iran, then I could see an increase in oil prices but not by much. The thing about the market is that it is very efficient, and any information already out in the public is already considered in the stock price, so the fact that Iran could possibly see sanctions because of their nulcear aspirations is has already been reflected in market price.
    So long as sanctions are not imposed on Iran and there are no forseeable unexpected problems in the supply of oil, I do not think it is inconceivable for oil prices to get down to about 65 per barrel by new years.

Now if a refinery in houston or NewOrleans blows up, that is a different story.
    Yeh, I think I read where the Iran problems have probably added 10 dollars per barrel of oil in the US. I am sure the lefties on here will say that Bush caused it to go up and blamed it on Iran, that way we would be scared of them. You know, the usual stuff.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, they can influence it. They don't even have to make a call. The big oil companies know which side of the political aisle that their bread is buttered. Maybe I just don't trust one single politician, but this all seems very planned to me. I can't even see how it isn't planned. I mean, COME ON......... CHENEY????

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

This is a question, and a question only. There is absolutely no political implication in the question. I didn't read all of the posts in this thread, so it might have been answered already. My question is, OPEC has always manipulated the price of oil. If the price falls too much, they always decrease production and the price increases. Will OPEC allow the price to fall so that we see $2.00 gas again, or will they decrease production and get it back up? If they do allow it to drop that low, could Bush have influence over their fellow oil buddies to keep it down until the elections are over? I just want to know if that is possible.

With that said, the price dropped last year during this time of year, and there was no election. There certainly was less surplus last year than we have this year. We just had two huge hurricans in the Gulf.

To those of you in the oil industry, sorry for my ignorance.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

There are some awfully dumb MF on here! please go back and look at gasoline pricing trends for the last 20 or 25 years...they almost always trend down about this time of year after rising early in the summer. This year it is more pronounced because demand has been lower (higher prices mean less driving), no significant storm has moved through the Gulf (no wells shut in), and the speculation based on Middle East issues has somewhat moderated.

Opinions are great and just like belly buttons...everybody has one. Facts and history...are generally irrefutable but that rarely gets in the way of a liberal trying to piss on the fire at a wennie roast!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    There are some awfully dumb MF on here! please go back and look at gasoline pricing trends for the last 20 or 25 years...they almost always trend down about this time of year after rising early in the summer. This year it is more pronounced because demand has been lower (higher prices mean less driving), no significant storm has moved through the Gulf (no wells shut in), and the speculation based on Middle East issues has somewhat moderated.

Opinions are great and just like belly buttons...everybody has one. Facts and history...are generally irrefutable but that rarely gets in the way of a liberal trying to piss on the fire at a wennie roast!
    Not sure who you meant by that comment, but I hope you didn't mean me. I agree that ithe price historically drops this time of year, and, in fact, I pointed out that if it dropped last year under the conditions we had at that time and when there was no election, then the price drop should happen this year.

The question I have, and I think you are the one who can probably answer it, is could it be manipulated. Today on CNBC, there was a guest who was saying the price would not approach $2.00 at the pump because OPEC would not allow it to go that low. That got me, who admits that I am totally ignorant on crude futures, to wondering if OPEC would allow it to go down in an election year. My hope was I could get educated, not belittled.

I reiterate, for the record, that liberals hate good news. They blame Bush for everything, real or imagined. I do not believe that the prices can be manipulated for months at a time. I just wanted an answer to a question, by intelligent people who would know.

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough

There's been lots of pure idiotic garbage in this thread, especially from the spin man. As someone who's spent over 40 years in the oil industry and having worked in all areas of it and reached a fairly high executive poisiton with a large international, I do have a very good grasp of what's really going on. Let me try to briefly respond to a few of the points made on here.

"OPEC controls the price." Well, maybe 30 years ago this was true. they had lots of over capacity and it was very easy to open or close the spigot. those days have long passed. Even though the proven reserves are there, the additional wells and producing facilities are not and getting them in doesn't happen overnight. On the other side, none of those countries is in a position anymore to be able to cut back production. They need the money too badly nowadays, unlike 30 years ago.

"Big Oil" controls the price. Price of crude oil (which is the main determinant in the eventual price of gasoline) is purely market driven. First of all, there are not enough "Big Oils" to control any market. The oil industry has more players than virtually any other large industry in the world. Oil is a commodity!!!!! In addition, there is virtually no elasticity in the supply chain. A small disruption can create market panic and speculation rules. The vastly increased demand from places like China and India keep virtually all the slack out of the system

Prices always go down in the fall. This has always been true for several reasons. First of all the demand goes down after labor day due to the summer and vacation season being over. In recent years this has gotten worse because of the EPA mandated summer blends which sightly reduce pollution, but drive up the price. The differential is far worse this year since MTBE's have been outlawed and had to be replaced with Ethanol which is far more costly.

Now, for anyone who really wants to dig into this subject, there is an excellent report by George S. Ford, PhD, of the Phoenix Center for Advanced Legal and Economic Public Policy Studies just published, entitled, "An Investigation into the Influence of Retail Gas Prices on Oil Company Profits." Policy Paper No. 26

It's a very detailed and objective analysis of just what the title says. You can access it at

www.phoenix-center.com

It provides a very good analysis of what the real facts say. I think you'll find even a very surprizing conclusion. Dr. Ford's conclusion is absolutely correct but he doesn't atttempt to explain why the results are as they are. He does state that that was beyond the scope of his study. Having done this type analysis from within a large vertically integrated international oil giant, I think I know why he finds the results he does and I plan to share this with him shortly.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Sooner, shame on you...you gotta know I wasn't talking about the learned...I was talking those liberals that piss on the fire at Cub Scout jamborees!

OPEC can most certainly manipulate oil prices but ecause they have such a hard time agreeing on anything, they lose their pricing clout. The single biggest driver for gasoline is capacity, not oil prices. Capacity (or lack thereof) creates supply-demand problems during peak driving periods or when there is a disruption (like Katrina and Rita), which results in higher gas prices. Capacity is also affected by the boutique fule blends that some states and metro areas have; if there were only 5 or 6 blends versus the 20+ out there, capacity would increase by about 4%. The increase comes from the reduction in refinery downtime associated with the different "runs" associated with the fuel making/blending process.

Where's DogTor Evil when you need him?
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

+ Reply to Thread