+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For champ110 and others...

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

For champ110 and others...

who think that playing ULM and ULL gives the perception that we are on their level. I would think that losing 49-10 to Nebraska gives that perception more than playing the ULxs and beating them. Don't you?

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: For champ110 and others...

Guess it depends on what you want to settle for. I want more for Tech than just being able to beat the ulm's of the world.

Do you really think that we would have been on TV yesterday playing ulx. I guess if I wanted it to be like high school and beat the rival down the road, then the ulx's would do fine.

The key is that we have to COMPETE and WIN some of the big games.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Guess it depends on what you want to settle for. I want more for Tech than just being able to beat the ulm's of the world.

Do you really think that we would have been on TV yesterday playing ulx. I guess if I wanted it to be like high school and beat the rival down the road, then the ulx's would do fine.

The key is that we have to COMPETE and WIN some of the big games.
    No I don't, but then at the end of the season, all the bowl committees and the nation would have seen was a huge Tech win over a 1a school instead of a Tech team that got beat like a 1aa team. Getting beat like we did yesterday on national t.v. looks more like high school than beating the rival down the road.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    No I don't, but then at the end of the season, all the bowl committees and the nation would have seen was a huge Tech win over a 1a school
    No they would not have "seen" it. It wouldn't even be on their radar. It would, however, go in our win column, so I guess we would have that, at least. The key is to build a team that CAN compete against bcs teams, not one that cowers in a corner or N. Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    No they would not have "seen" it. It wouldn't even be on their radar. It would, however, go in our win column, so I guess we would have that, at least. The key is to build a team that CAN compete against bcs teams, not one that cowers in a corner or N. Louisiana.
    You're not getting my meaning by seen it. I know they wouldn't have actually seen it with their own eyes, but at the end of the season, they would have seen the result which should be a huge win which makes us look more legitimate a d1a school than a 49-10 thrashing to Nebraska.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

You're not getting my meaning by seen it. I know they wouldn't have actually seen it with their own eyes, but at the end of the season, they would have seen the result which should be a huge win which makes us look more legitimate a d1a school than a 49-10 thrashing to Nebraska.
    I don't think I agree. There were a lot of teams that were thrashed yesterday without looking as good as we did for the first half. A lot of people still see S. Miss, Marshall and Stanford--for instance--as legit 1A programs. Would you be more impressed with Marshall this week if they'd thumped some ULM type? People who just look at the score will see the loss to NU as a thrashing, but the NU fans had to be sweating a bit when it was 14-10 with 2 minutes left in the half. We clearly weren't as good as they were, but we hung with them pretty well for a while.

Are there concerns? Sure. Like the defense needing to find the TEs in coverage. Still, the offense managed to move the ball against a defense that's supposed to be one of the top 5 in the country. If they play that way against other teams, it will make the lopsided score at NU look like less of a big deal.

The key to this team's legitimacy this year will probably be how they do in College Station.

Good points, TechDawgMc.

Dirty,
    Would you have felt different IF we could have pulled off an upset? I think you would have been thrilled beyond words. That is my point. You can't compete with bcs teams, if you don't play them. My complaint is that we didn't compete in the second half, not that we played them. Beating a ulx would mean nothing at all to me. It would be a "so what" moment.

If we stick to playing the little guys, we will always be a little guy.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

It was 28-10 in the 4th quarter when Zac hooked up with Wheeler for a 50 yd reception. Had Wheeler not fumbled it, we would be talking about a different ending to this game. I'm not saying we would've won, but it would have been much closer. Also, if Harris would've caught the Int at the end of the half it would have helped our effort as well.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TECH88 View Post
    It was 28-10 in the 4th quarter when Zac hooked up with Wheeler for a 50 yd reception. Had Wheeler not fumbled it, we would be talking about a different ending to this game. I'm not saying we would've won, but it would have been much closer. Also, if Harris would've caught the Int at the end of the half it would have helped our effort as well.
    I had the same thought. As I watching the 4th qtr meltdown I thought of those two plays too. But, it wouldn't have really mattered that much. So what, the final score may have been 42-17 instead? Big deal.

Reminds me of that famous quote from the Redskins' QB, Sammy Baugh (I think...). Anyway, the Skins had just lost the NFL title game to the Bears 77-0. Early in the game a Skins' WR dropped a sure TD. Asked if that play could have changed the outcome of the game, Baugh said: sure, we would have lost 77-7 instead.

Champ dawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud of

Is there anyone else that is tired of saying "well, if we had made that play... it would have been a lot closer" or "that 49-10 was really alot closer." I'm sure that UNT fans are saying the same things this morning. I'm sure ULL fans are saying the same things.

The fact of the matter is... in every game, be it peewee league, high school, college, pro... there are always a few plays that *IF* they had turned differently, the outcome could have been changed. But, in reality... what really matters is when they are scrolling scores on ESPN it says Nebraska 49 Louisiana Tech 10. What really matters is when ESPN analysts are talking about Texas A&M's schedule and they say "A&M schedule is pathetic... I mean they are playing Louisiana Tech and et al."

I want us to succeed more than anyone. But let's not kid ourself, anylonger. Too many of us have been living in the Rattay era too long. Folks, that was nearly 10 years ago. It's over. We are equated on a national level with UL Laf, UL Monroe, U North Tex, the Citadel, Idaho, Indiana State, Eastern Illinois, Buffalo, Temple, etc. When you go to a stadium and the fans are taunting you as University of "rent a win" or "buy a win," you have *NO* respect. It will do absolutely *ZERO* damage to our "national" reputation to play ULM or ULL. Let's not kid ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgtired View Post
    Is there anyone else that is tired of saying "well, if we had made that play... it would have been a lot closer" or "that 49-10 was really alot closer." I'm sure that UNT fans are saying the same things this morning. I'm sure ULL fans are saying the same things.

The fact of the matter is... in every game, be it peewee league, high school, college, pro... there are always a few plays that *IF* they had turned differently, the outcome could have been changed. But, in reality... what really matters is when they are scrolling scores on ESPN it says Nebraska 49 Louisiana Tech 10. What really matters is when ESPN analysts are talking about Texas A&M's schedule and they say "A&M schedule is pathetic... I mean they are playing Louisiana Tech and et al."

I want us to succeed more than anyone. But let's not kid ourself, anylonger. Too many of us have been living in the Rattay era too long. Folks, that was nearly 10 years ago. It's over. We are equated on a national level with UL Laf, UL Monroe, U North Tex, the Citadel, Idaho, Indiana State, Eastern Illinois, Buffalo, Temple, etc. When you go to a stadium and the fans are taunting you as University of "rent a win" or "buy a win," you have *NO* respect. It will do absolutely *ZERO* damage to our "national" reputation to play ULM or ULL. Let's not kid ourselves.
    I TOTALLY disagree...... Michigan St. and Okie State have not been that long ago. It is time to BUILD a team that can compete instead of lowering our standards. I think this young group has some promise to do that.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

No I don't, but then at the end of the season, all the bowl committees and the nation would have seen was a huge Tech win over a 1a school instead of a Tech team that got beat like a 1aa team. Getting beat like we did yesterday on national t.v. looks more like high school than beating the rival down the road.
    Do you think of Ark as a 1-AA team? They lost 50-14 to USC on their home field. We all knew before the season began that we'd have a very young inexperienced defense. I think we'll be a pretty good team by the middle of the season.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgtired View Post

Disagree. On a national level, we are on a higher tier than that. We are usually lumped in with Miami (Oh.), Tulsa, Toledo, Marshall, Hawaii, Bowling Green, Nevada, etc. Certainly not the highest tier of competition, but NOT the Belt. I travel all over the country, and I've had literally hundreds of conversations with college football fans over this.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

I seem to recall getting beat by Florida St 41-7, USC 45-19 and to Tulane 63-30 when we had Rattay & Co. Put things into perspective for once, the loss to Nebraska is not as bad as you think.
    Last edited by TECH88; 09-03-2006 at 10:26 AM.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

I would prefer a home game over any away game vs any opponent.

+ Reply to Thread