+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Momentum Changers - Keep this in Mind

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Momentum Changers - Keep this in Mind

The one thing I would have like to have seen against Nebraska is what would have happened if Quin Harris had been able to come up with the interception in the endzone at the end of the first half and we’d have gone into halftime down 14-10 with all the momentum.

How deep into the second half could Tech have kept that game within one score with that one play? Into the 4th quarter? Could it have been a game at the end?

In many games against Top 25 teams in the I-A era, the difference between many good Tech teams being in the game at the end vs. being blown out hinged on one play in the first half.

In many instances when that one play went against us, we played catch-up mode. We threw on virtually every down. When it didn’t work, the defense would be on the field far too long in the second half. On top of it all, our coaches would play a base defense to not show anything to future opponents, which just make the blowouts worse.

In watching the game and talking to a few people who were there, that’s almost exactly what happened against Nebraska. Despite the fact we are two deep at many positions, our young defense was on the field for 84 plays. And we barely ran the ball in the second half.

There are numerous examples from our past, but here are two of them:
    • In 1999, in the opener against Florida State, we were tied 7-7 deep into the second quarter against the No. 1 team in the country. Up to that point we played a fantastic first half. After catching what could have been a touchdown reception that might have given us the lead at the half, Sean Cangelosi was hit really hard, fumbled, and FSU recovered. It changed the entire momentum of the game. We spent the entire second half in catch-up mode, the defense was on the field way too long. We left with a 41-7 defeat.
    • 1n 2004, against Fresno State, we were down 13-0 in Ruston to a Top 15 team and were struggling with their power running game. Then early in the 2nd quarter, Jemelle Cage blocked a Fresno field-goal attempt. It completely changed the momentum of the game. Behind Ryan Moats, our offense began to move the football. We scored points, and it kept our defense off the field. Instead of playing a base defense, we threw every look at them known to man. We won the game 28-21.
    The important thing for our team to remember is that some very good Tech teams have been in the position they’re in today. It doesn’t mean we don’t have talent or depth. It doesn’t mean our breakdowns on defense can’t be corrected. Our 1999 team was in this same position nearly 7 years ago today.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Re: Momentum Changers - Keep this in Mind

1991 - Season opener at Houston, Hou 73 Tech 3. No momentum changers in the game, but for the rest of the year we went 8-0-2 with wins over USM and UTEP and ties against So Car and USL. Big momntum change after the first game.

Varsity Bulldog KayBee isn't thought very highly of around hereKayBee isn't thought very highly of around hereKayBee isn't thought very highly of around hereKayBee isn't thought very highly of around here

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    The one thing I would have like to have seen against Nebraska is what would have happened if Quin Harris had been able to come up with the interception in the endzone at the end of the first half and we’d have gone into halftime down 14-10 with all the momentum.

How deep into the second half could Tech have kept that game within one score with that one play? Into the 4th quarter? Could it have been a game at the end?

I think you are forgetting that Nebraska came out in the second half and drove down the field completely uncontested

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

KayBee:

That's my point. We dropped the interception. We lost all the momentum. We fell behind by more than 10 points at the half.

Since we've been I-A, our approach when we've been leading or competitive against Top 25 teams changes after halftime. We cut our rotation on defense and go with our better more experienced players, who are less likely to make mental mistakes.

We run the ball and try and get the game into the 4th quarter, which is obviously what we were trying to do in the first half with Jackson and Holland avoiding the sidelines every time they touched the ball.

And oledawg - the thrashing in Houston is one I'd like to forget. A lot of us have bad memories about that siren in the Astrodome.

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game

Why even acknowledge KayBee? She's not a fan of Tech.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by altadawg View Post
    Why even acknowledge KayBee? She's not a fan of Tech.
    You're absolutely right.

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

And oledawg - the thrashing in Houston is one I'd like to forget. A lot of us have bad memories about that siren in the Astrodome.

Yeah, sorry. One of the few games I have left early. Joe Raymond told me later that he wished he could have left with me. Your point about momentum change in these games is a good one. I just hope we can duplicate the same momentum change we had after the Houston debacle.

Champ george is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of light

i thought, somewhere early in the fourth quarter, how much this game reminded me of the florida state game in 1999. big play near half time turned it around and then depth took over in the second half.
    by the way, did anybody watch the usc vs. arkansas game saturday night? it was a carbon copy of our game, with usc pulling away late just like nebraska after some momentum swings right around half time.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    i thought, somewhere early in the fourth quarter, how much this game reminded me of the florida state game in 1999. big play near half time turned it around and then depth took over in the second half.
    by the way, did anybody watch the usc vs. arkansas game saturday night? it was a carbon copy of our game, with usc pulling away late just like nebraska after some momentum swings right around half time.
    They were similar, except for the fact that Arkansas had the game at home--huge difference. If that game was at USC, it would've been comparable last year's score.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

I wondered about how much affect it might have had too Historian, but I really don't think it would have been major. It certainly would have looked pretty good for the halftime score to have been 14-10, but I think NU's depth was getting to us by that point. I'm not sure it would have been much different than 42-10 instead of 49-10.

I'm not willing to be depressed about this game, though. We moved the ball well against a very good defense. If we can learn to cover tight ends, I think we can play with our more normal schedule.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

If Callahan had taken the FG after the Franklin fumbled punt and if Tech had not forced the fumble at the end of the 3rd quarter, the score could have easily been 59-10 or worse.

I don't necessarily like the final margin, but there were almost as many momentum changers that went in favor of Tech as against in this one. I'll take the result Tech got instead of what might have happened.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Lotta IF'S here guys. No doubt we could have used some breaks, but we also got a few. Looks to me like we really tried to stop the run and our linebackers were filling the gaps and missing the coverage on TE's. Recognition will come with more experience. Knowing that this was an extra game anyway I think we should treat it like we got a big check to scrimmage Neb. and our season starts now.

Champ 96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough 96bulldog's Avatar

• After catching what could have been a touchdown reception that might have given us the lead at the half, Sean Cangelosi was hit really hard, fumbled, and FSU recovered. It changed the entire momentum of the game. We spent the entire second half in catch-up mode, the defense was on the field way too long. We left with a 41-7 defeat.
    If I remember correctly, Cangelosi suffered a seperated shoulder on that hit.

+ Reply to Thread