+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: HOW MANY ALUMNI DOES TECH HAVE?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: HOW MANY ALUMNI DOES TECH HAVE?

Quote Originally Posted by farright30 View Post
    Yeah that makes a whole bunch of sense, considering Tech is the only one that I would keep up with. My point is that Tech isnt the only school with the "steals" that you talk about in our recruiting. I'm sure it happens at a lot of places.
    THIS IS THE POINT...you constantly make claims and don't back any of them up. You claim that other schools have steals...you're probably right, show me some. Show me that it's a fluke that we are regularly ranked close to the top of the WAC in recruiting. I didn't ask you to make this argument...don't look for sympothy when you don't support your claims. If you don't have evidence to make the claims you make, DON'T MAKE THEM!

I don't make claims about baseball because I don't know much about it...you should think about adoption a similar position with regard to football.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Big Dog farright30 is an unknown farright30's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    THIS IS THE POINT...you constantly make claims and don't back any of them up. You claim that other schools have steals...you're probably right, show me some. Show me that it's a fluke that we are regularly ranked close to the top of the WAC in recruiting. I didn't ask you to make this argument...don't look for sympothy when you don't support your claims. If you don't have evidence to make the claims you make, DON'T MAKE THEM!

I don't make claims about baseball because I don't know much about it...you should think about adoption a similar position with regard to football.
    I'm not saying this from knowledge of the recruiting, but honestly that doesnt stop you from posting about it either. To think that Tech is the only ones that can pull off these recruiting miracles would make one wonder why they arent that good now and havent been for at least 5 years? How about all of those NFL stars we are producing?

You're wrong.

Here's why...

You are combining like ten arguments into one. We will address booting YOUR ALMA MATER from DIA just as soon as you spearhead the movement to get those out who have lower budgets than us. Obviously, I can see progress...obviously, you can't. That's fine, let's just assume that you're right and there has been no progress. How does your solution (moving to down to 1-AA) remedy the problem of showing no progress?

Let's say, just for giggles (because it's not true), that we don't "deserve" to be 1-A...who cares? We've been given this "gift" of being 1A where our ceiling is much higher and our budget is much larger. We can recruit better players and we play on TV far more often. As a fan of Louisiana Tech, why in the world would you want to give that gift back?
    I can see your side of it, I just dont think the same way. I'm not happy just to be at this level. I would hope that everyone would want their team to succeed, correct? I'm not concerned with the three below us, I'm only concerned about this program. 1-AA would be the option because I would love to succeed against similar opponents and based on the investment made into this program, we have more similar opponents with the 1-AA classification. Who on here likes to watch us on TV when we get embarassed everytime? I would rather it go unnoticed myself.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I can see your side of it, I just dont think the same way. I'm not happy just to be at this level. I would hope that everyone would want their team to succeed, correct? I'm not concerned with the three below us, I'm only concerned about this program. 1-AA would be the option because I would love to succeed against similar opponents and based on the investment made into this program, we have more similar opponents with the 1-AA classification. Who on here likes to watch us on TV when we get embarassed everytime? I would rather it go unnoticed myself.
    So, you're not happy with our level of play, so you want to drop it by a division? Again, your solution doesn't fit our problem. I liked watching us on TV last year when we beat fresno...and the year before. I thoroughly enjoyed watching us beat Michigan St. on TV. I'm not sure that your figures are right about our budget, but I'll not contend that.

I wonder why you suggest moving to the Southland as opposed to the Sunbelt. From your argument, it seems as if your problems with our current situation would be improved by playing in the Belt...so tell me why you don't see the Belt as an option (I don't, I'm just wondering why you skipped the belt and went straight to I-AA).

I'm not saying this from knowledge of the recruiting, but honestly that doesnt stop you from posting about it either.
    I beg to differ. I'm surely not the most knowledgable about recruiting on this board, but I do follow it very closely. My statements about Louisiana Tech recruiting come from my personal knowledge of our recruiting. I'm only making statements about Louisiana Tech, you're the one involving other universities that you don't know about.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

What is our record against winning BCS schools in the past 10 years? I can be pretty sure that is worse than the previously stated 19.6% winning percentage.
    what is anybody's record against "winning BCS schools"? isn't that the reason they are winning schools -- they win most of their games? gee whiz. i thought you were one of those wackos who honestly thinks there should just be 64 teams in d-1a. but you only want winning programs. that narrows the field to about 30. you see, at any level, there are going to be winners and there are going to be losers. that's the nature of the game. we've won our fair share of games, and we've taken our lumps as well.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

So, you're not happy with our level of play, so you want to drop it by a division? Again, your solution doesn't fit our problem. I liked watching us on TV last year when we beat fresno...and the year before. I thoroughly enjoyed watching us beat Michigan St. on TV. I'm not sure that your figures are right about our budget, but I'll not contend that.

I wonder why you suggest moving to the Southland as opposed to the Sunbelt. From your argument, it seems as if your problems with our current situation would be improved by playing in the Belt...so tell me why you don't see the Belt as an option (I don't, I'm just wondering why you skipped the belt and went straight to I-AA).
    I thought I mentioned that one in a previous post, but you are right, that might be the best option. I've posted around 200 on this subject on numerous threads so Im not sure which one I had put it under. The reason I write about 1-AA is not about the embarassing showings that Tech has had, it was that we are not at the financial level we shoud be at 1-A.

I beg to differ. I'm surely not the most knowledgable about recruiting on this board, but I do follow it very closely. My statements about Louisiana Tech recruiting come from my personal knowledge of our recruiting. I'm only making statements about Louisiana Tech, you're the one involving other universities that you don't know about.
    I dont know most on this board, so I cant know if you are in the know as much as you say. The statement that we recruit at a level higher than most is a big claim to make to only back up with claims of knowledge only, though.

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    what is anybody's record against "winning BCS schools"? isn't that the reason they are winning schools -- they win most of their games? gee whiz. i thought you were one of those wackos who honestly thinks there should just be 64 teams in d-1a. but you only want winning programs. that narrows the field to about 30. you see, at any level, there are going to be winners and there are going to be losers. that's the nature of the game. we've won our fair share of games, and we've taken our lumps as well.
    Im only saying that our lumps far out weigh our big wins. The number I mentioned was referring to our record against any 1-A team that finished with a record 0.500 and above. I never stated that 1-A should only be 64 teams, but I do think it should be smaller than it is right now.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I guess the Arkansas fans who watched their Hogs get demolished by USC and the California fans who watched their Bears get slaughtered by Tenn. and the Oregon St. fans who watched their Beavers get creamed by Boise ( ) and the other BCS schools who are getting blown out by other BCS teams should select to leave those BCS confereneces and join the non-BCS conferences, or even drop down to 1aa. Is that right? Maybe Vanderbilt and Kentucky should see if the Sunbelt would welcome them. I'm sure the Mt. West would love to have Stanford.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I guess the Arkansas fans who watched their Hogs get demolished by USC and the California fans who watched their Bears get slaughtered by Tenn. and the Oregon St. fans who watched their Beavers get creamed by Boise ( ) and the other BCS schools who are getting blown out by other BCS teams should select to leave those BCS confereneces and join the non-BCS conferences, or even drop down to 1aa. Is that right? Maybe Vanderbilt and Kentucky should see if the Sunbelt would welcome them. I'm sure the Mt. West would love to have Stanford.
    That would be a pretty bold comparison if you are going to compare Tech's football program to that of Vandy or Kentucky. Is that what you are doing? How about that blowout Boise put on mighty Wyoming this past weekend?

That would be a pretty bold comparison if you are going to compare Tech's football program to that of Vandy or Kentucky.
    There's no way those teams should be mentioned in our league. We do what we do on a budget that is a small fraction of their budget...yet, the quality of the product is about the same.

There's no way those teams should be mentioned in our league. We do what we do on a budget that is a small fraction of their budget...yet, the quality of the product is about the same.

Considering VAndy got rid of their complete atheltic dept., I wonder what their budget is nowadays. But in my opinion, the two SEC teams and Tech are not even comparable. I know they arent known for winning their conference in a long long time, but to say that we are a better football program than theirs, I find that stretching it a bit.

That is the thing though. We use the excuse well, based on what we spend compared to what we spend... The comparison should straight up considering we are in the same league. If we shuoldnt be considered the same league, then there shoudl be questions as to where we belong.

Considering VAndy got rid of their complete atheltic dept., I wonder what their budget is nowadays. But in my opinion, the two SEC teams and Tech are not even comparable. I know they arent known for winning their conference in a long long time, but to say that we are a better football program than theirs, I find that stretching it a bit.
    They're not known for winning period. As for your same league comment, I agree that's how it should be, but this system is set up to where it will NEVER be that way. The BCS money has put us all on different levels. Your arguments could apply to nearly all mid-majors.

+ Reply to Thread