+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW MANY ALUMNI DOES TECH HAVE?

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Re: HOW MANY ALUMNI DOES TECH HAVE?

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    That was the perfect little bitch answer I thought you would give. I guess no one should strive to try to get bigger and better. We should just leave the BCS schools alone and go on our way. I guess Louisville fans are glad they didnt have little bitches like you when they were trying to make it up the ladder.
    What's with the hostility, huss? Take a deep breath. While I don't agree with farright, he does make a valid point. With fewer football scholarships to spend athletic money on, and still playing the big money bag games to get the revenue, there will be more money for the other programs. Football can rejoin the Southland thereby cutting down on travel costs also.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not for moving down to 1aa, but think about it. If we knew a definitive number on how long JO and DR would be around, it might be the best option we have. Although, like liteman says, it also makes just as much sense to do away with sports considering our admins.' lack of effort in helping them to succeed.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

For the record I, personally, would have never attended Tech if it was a 1-AA school.

Big Dog farright30 is an unknown farright30's Avatar

What do you want us to do dude? Just curl up in a hole and die? Should Tech just shut down completely because our athletic budget isnt that great? I dont understand what you are pointing out. I am giong to support Tech's efforts to try to make it as a I-A. I am not sure what you would have us do. Just quit supporting to spite JO and leave the athletic budget in worse shape than it is. The great thing here is that you always want answers to your questions, so you can prove that Tech is dire straits as a D-I competitor (we all know this, you arent the only enlightened one), but guess what, you never have any suggestions how to make it better. All you ever want to say is poor pitiful little Tech, we should jsut take our ball and go home, mahhh. I dont understand what your purpose is for putting all of this crap on here.

Why do many great entreprenuers go bankrupt many times before hitting it big? For the chance of hitting it big. Yeh, I guess they could have done the easy thing and taken the desk job, looking big in a small pond at some company. Maybe our current administration wont get us there in D-I, but I hope that future ones will. I guess all D-I's that arent in the top tier should just quit.
    Isn't that whole point of my argument? My suggestion is that we go I-AA. Wasn't that pretty clear?

Quote Originally Posted by LITEMAN View Post
    You are correct Farright. NO Div 1-AA school EVER plays big money games.

If we just drop down we never will have to play these games again.

You are not addressing the problem with your idea. Dropping down will never increase $.

I'm not saying it will increase money, but if we aren't going to spend money, we might as well go down to a level where we can dominate. Can you imagine cheering for a school that actually has a chance to win it all? This post isnt about making money, it's about having some pride and actually enjoying games between two equal opponents. I've never said this is some profound idea. I'm just asking someone to explain why it's wrong.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Actually Tech's alumni giving rate is quite impressive at 23%.

Tech has the highest alumni giving rate of all tier 3 and tier 4 national universities.

Tech has the 39th highest alumni giving rate of all national universities.

Tech's alumni giving rate is more than double LSU's 11%.

Tech is doing something right.

If we dropped down to I-AA, we would do the same exact thing, but with lesser recruits. Instead of Nebraska beating us 49-10, we get beat 70-0. I know you dont think that is a big difference, but that is because you are clueless.

I'm so clueless as to why no one will address whatI'm talking about here. I have more of a clue with what is going on than you think. Why schedule Nebraska in the first place? If the AD knows we have no chance to win, then what is the difference between 49-10 and 70-0. 70-0 would be understandable considering the I-AA status and it wouldn't affect (sp?) postseason status.

Where is this notion that we have this great recruiting coming from?

That was the perfect little bitch answer I thought you would give. I guess no one should strive to try to get bigger and better. We should just leave the BCS schools alone and go on our way. I guess Louisville fans are glad they didnt have little bitches like you when they were trying to make it up the ladder.

Someone please give dhuss a theasaurus and let him look up the word "bitch." I am wasting my time if people beleive that schools such as Middle Tenn State should be I-A on the same level with BCS conferences. By the way, Louisville is a school that is in a BCS conference. Nice try, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE View Post
    Actually Tech's alumni giving rate is quite impressive at 23%.

Tech has the highest alumni giving rate of all tier 3 and tier 4 national universities.

Tech has the 39th highest alumni giving rate of all national universities.

Tech's alumni giving rate is more than double LSU's 11%.

Tech is doing something right.
    My point is not that they dont get anything back, just that we dont obviously have enough.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by farright30 View Post
    Someone please give dhuss a theasaurus and let him look up the word "bitch." I am wasting my time if people beleive that schools such as Middle Tenn State should be I-A on the same level with BCS conferences. By the way, Louisville is a school that is in a BCS conference. Nice try, though.
    Yeah, but they haven't always been, and I think that's his point. If they hadn't tried to improve, where would they be now? Of course, back to your point. They have a more progressive administration than we do.

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

I'm so clueless as to why no one will address whatI'm talking about here. I have more of a clue with what is going on than you think. Why schedule Nebraska in the first place? If the AD knows we have no chance to win, then what is the difference between 49-10 and 70-0. 70-0 would be understandable considering the I-AA status and it wouldn't affect (sp?) postseason status.

Where is this notion that we have this great recruiting coming from?
    For those of you as old as I am let's just say "good night Gracy"!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Yeah, but they haven't always been, and I think that's his point. If they hadn't tried to improve, where would they be now? Of course, back to your point. They have a more progressive administration than we do.
    Okay DD I can see where you are coming from there, but like you said these are two totally different admins. What everyone has to see here is this, I would love for us to be a competitive I-A school. I am just questioning the logic in it if the big guys could give two craps about it.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Alright, here we go again. I will make a point, no one will reply with any counter-argument and proceed to call me names. My only point here is, why play I-A football, when you can only budget at a I-AA level? Why get your brains beaten out of you by bigger schools that you are playing only because you have to find a source of revenue? How does that build support and any possibility of future alumni giving? Who would anyone want to support a football team that gets the crap beat out of them by ANY big school in the country? The question I ask is this: Does anyone on this board believe that Tech will ever have a chance to win a national championship? If you do, you are delusional. Even if they deserve it, they CAN NOT possibily win it all. Then why even play? Why not just go ahead and go I-AA where a sense of pride in one's teams can be built, even if it is only at a I-AA level? If you are going to spend in the bottom 3% level of your division, the support from the administration for the I-A team is obviously not there. The most logical thing to do is go I-AA. If anyone disagrees, please post why, I would like to hear them, but do not come on this board and trash me for being negative. If I didnt support Tech, I wouldnt bother posting this or even have this opinion. I believe in this only because I truly care about this university. Sure I have been negative fairly often here, but not once has anyone cared to debate me. I only hear names being thrown my way. Dont forget that it was about 4 years ago, when I began posting how much we need to get rid of Oakes, only to be ripped to pieces. I was told I didn't know whatI was talking about and such, and take a look at the opinion here now. Seems that everyone has changed at some point or the other, yet I am still being told I don't know what I'm talking about.
    My answer is very simple. I didn't go to Tech because it was filled with people that say "It's too hard to do!" I went to Tech because it is filled with people that say "We will figure out a way to make it happen!" For the most part, Tech has been a can do school. It is all about the attitude. Tech has always had it and always will. I learned a lot from Tech academically. But the most important thing I learned at Tech was that you can do anything you set your sights on. Tech will succeed with the right ingredients. Everyone here seems to agree on that whether they think JO and DR are right or wrong except for you. Tech must succeed at 1A because it represents the spirit of the school and is viewed by world through that single window more than any other. Tech will find a way!
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Okay DD I can see where you are coming from there, but like you said these are two totally different admins. What everyone has to see here is this, I would love for us to be a competitive I-A school. I am just questioning the logic in it if the big guys could give two craps about it.
    You are right in that we don't seem to be totally commited to becoming a Louisville. We don't even seem to be commited to becoming acceptable to CUSA. The altermative is 1AA. You probably know, but most BCS schools don't pay 1AA schools the same money they pay 1A schools to come in and play. Less expenses in 1AA, but much less revenue. I can't put my hands on the numbers right now, but we didn't make money the year we went to the 1AA National Championship game. At the time word was that F.J. Taylor said enough "mandated mediocrity". Dr. Taylor had a vision for Tech Athletics. He knew that we could become a Louisville (at the time the model was Fla. St., because Louisville was horrible). In the mean time we've been passed up by Louisville, USM, Marshall, Tulsa, Boise, and a several others when it comes to being committed to growing our 1A football program or our athletic program at all. We've squandered numerous opportunities along the way while our AD's biggest concern is simply to stay in the black and our President's biggest concern is not to become an embarassment like Lawson Swearingen did.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

No need to call you names farright. Your post condemns you more than any name I could call you. Yes, Louisville is in a BCS conference...for all of two years now. They used to be exaclty where we were (except in a metro area...yes, that makes a huge difference). Going DIAA is a step BACKWARDS. I don't care who is running the program, they won't be there forever, but if we go back to DIAA, we could be there forever. It sucks when the administration shows no vision, but administrations come and go. Maybe our next AD will be like the guy at Louisville or TCU or Boise St. Just because Oakes and Reneau seem to have limited athletic vision, that doesn't mean their successors will.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Of all people, I'm not one for defending Oakes, I think we all know that. The thing is it doesn't matter who is AD at Tech. If they are not given any money to work with, there isn't much they can do. Why can't anyone else see this? I'm tired of this "more with less" mentality. That is such total BS and anyone that thinks they have any chance of being anything with what they are being given, has no realistic idea of what goes on. I don't claim to be athletics dept. genius, but I do know that it takes money to make money. I give credit to those that love Tech so much that they can't understand why anyone would consider I-AA. I feel the same about the school, but I am also a realist. This is not a football school. Never will be. It's time for people to accept it and quit wasting alumni's money on building the Ath. dept. that route and go about it another way. If we have to play these money games just to keep our heads above water, its not worth the trouble. Go to a level where fans can follow the team and where we wont be embarassed by the administartion that is running our own school (based on funding).

+ Reply to Thread