+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reading

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Reading

We've discussed the Larry McMurtrey books on here before. I'm not an avid reader, but "Lonesome Dove" is a great read. What I just found out was that the last book, " Comanche Moon" takes place between "Dead Man's Walk" and "Lonesome Dove". Can't remember who all discussed this, but I think Austindawg was one of them. Whoever it was didn't recommend "Streets of Laredo" so I didn't read that one. Austidawg was it you? Comanche Moon is around 800 pages. Is it good?

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Re: Reading

I've read them all, however it has been quite some time since. Comanche Moon takes place after the events of Dead Man's Walk and before Lonesome Dove. There aren't too many scenes I remember from the book. I remember either Gus or Woodrow being trapped by Comanches and forced to live in a cage, but that is about all I remember. I think that alot of people didn't like Streets of Laredo because it takes place without the best character of the series, Gus. Every other book has Gus in it.

To be honest, Lonesome Dove is in a completely different class from the other books. After all, it won the Pulitzer Prize. The others were just "pot-boilers" that McMurtry wrote to parlay his grand literary effort into extra cash. That's not to say that they aren't entertaining, or good time-killer fiction, but they are not up to snuff with Lonesome Dove.

I did enjoy reading them, and Comanche Moon is probably the "best of the rest". If you're looking for something to read, you could do worse.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Re: Reading

...is that the one where the woman bought some Ivory soap and then went behind the green door...oh, wait, that's another story! Never mind.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

+ Reply to Thread