+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This is just plain foolishness

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

This is just plain foolishness

I know there are runners out there, but man, I can't understand this.

American following Pheidippides' footsteps wins

Associated Press

ATHENS, Greece -- Scott Jurek of the United States won the Spartathlon on Saturday, a 152-mile race from Athens to Sparta that follows the route of the legendary messenger Pheidippides 2,500 years ago.
    Japan's Inagaki Sumie was the top woman in the ultramarathon featuring 260 runners from 32 countries and a winding course along highways, dirt roads and mountains.
    Jurek, of Seattle, completed the annual race in 22 hours, 52 minutes, 18 seconds and was followed by two Japanese: Sekiya Ryoichi in 24:14:11 and Masayuki Ohtaki in 25:19:12. Sumie won her division in 28:37:20.
    The field set out early Friday, running through rugged terrain to the finish line at the statue to ancient King Leonidas in Sparta, in the southern Peloponnese. The runners, who share a strong bond, passed through vineyards, mud, olive groves and up Mount Parthenio -- a 3,900-foot ascent -- in the middle of the night.
    "They are coming here just for the difficulties [of the course]," said Spartathlon chief organizer Panagiotis Tsiakiris, adding only one-third of the runners usually finish.
    "It's a great experience," said Mark Williams of San Jose, Calif., before setting out on his 14th Spartathlon on his 41st birthday.
    The Spartathlon is about five miles short of six consecutive marathons. The course is based on Herodotus' account of the Battle of Marathon in 490 B.C. Pheidippides, an Athenian messenger, was sent to summon troop reinforcements against the invading Persians and arrived in Sparta "one day later."
    In 1982, British Royal Air Force officer John Foden tested the ancient tale and finished the course in 36 hours, laying the groundwork for the annual race.
    To qualify for this event, participants must have finished a 62-mile race in less than 10½ hours, completed a 125-mile race or finished or reached a certain checkpoint in a previous Spartathlon.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Re: This is just plain foolishness

The secret of ultra-marathons is the ability to eat and drink well during running :-)

I'm thinking of doing an ultra soon. I hear they are pretty fun.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by duckbillplatty View Post
    The secret of ultra-marathons is the ability to eat and drink well during running :-)

I'm thinking of doing an ultra soon. I hear they are pretty fun.
    Do you wear a "Depends" under your shorts?

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

Please, PLEASE don't answer that question!!! I'll have to start ignoring this thread if you do!

Chris

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

a 5k is foolishness

a marathon is crazy

those people must have a death wish.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAY View Post
    a 5k is foolishness

a marathon is crazy

"Can I get an 'AMEN' from the bobbleheads??"

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAY View Post
    a 5k is foolishness

a marathon is crazy

a 5k is a warmup

a marathon is a good sunday morning jog

can I get an amen from one of my running dawgs?

2005 NFL Survivor Contest Champion RXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of light RXDAWG's Avatar

Amen!!! Running is a way of life. I would consider a 10 miler a warmup!

Champ shreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of light shreveportdawg's Avatar

A 10 miler is a good waste of a morning in the deer stand.

2005 NFL Survivor Contest Champion RXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of light RXDAWG's Avatar

Who needs a deer stand! I'll run that damn deer down myself! He'll have the short burst but eventually that bastard will get tired!

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RXDAWG View Post
    Amen!!! Running is a way of life. I would consider a 10 miler a warmup!
    A ten yarder is a marathon to me. I HATE to run. Always have. All I think about is how painful the next step is going to be.

My brother loves to run. I have never understood it.

Sooner, you're in-laws could run a fair bit also! David, Ben, and James all did fairly well!!!

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

I run

(a) to the bar

(b) to the restroom

Usually in that order.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RXDAWG View Post
    Sooner, you're in-laws could run a fair bit also! David, Ben, and James all did fairly well!!!
    Yeah, except for David, I saw all of them run. The girls too. And, they all looked like they were having a heart attack when they finished. They had to be carried off every time they ran.

Now, that looks like a lot of fun. I subscribe to the Luminaire line of thinking, except I would run to the food bar, and I think L meant adult beverages.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

I would like to walk 7300+ yards every saturday morning, but i'm too lazy to get my arse outta bed.

(7300+ is the yardage of Huntington Golf Course )
    Last edited by DocMarvin362; 10-03-2006 at 09:52 PM. Reason: correcting my Parkway edumikachion.

+ Reply to Thread