+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Take Louisiana Tech private?

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game

Take Louisiana Tech private?

Just an idea and just a question;

How much money do we get from the State and Federal Government? What would are deficit be if we didnt get that $? ( I know Im asking for oversimplification, somebody humor me)

How many grads like me would give ALOT more if we actually had some sort of freakin say, no matter how minute?

Im ready to apply pressure and I say explore all angles no matter how ridiculous they may seem.

We need change.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Re: Take Louisiana Tech private?

I read a long argument about public schools vs private schools. The subject was UVA. I'll try to find it for you, but they construct a good argument about why being a public institution is so advantagous.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

i think i read somewhere a while back that Tech was something like 85% self-funded. i wish we could just ditch the 15% of money and 100% of governance from the state. but there is no way the state would ever, ever allow that.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

If we were going after dollars AS THOUGH we were private, we'd be a lot better off.

There are a few advantages to being a state school, not the least of which is that the cost of going private would be prohibitive. But we should be soliciting funding as though we were private, because the state money is barely a drop in the bucket.

Varsity Bulldog grimey has turned a few heads around heregrimey has turned a few heads around heregrimey has turned a few heads around here grimey's Avatar

We dont even have money now to do what other universities are doing. I do not think going private would do anything but make us smaller and weaker.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

How could you go private when the state owns all your property and buildings?

Varsity Bulldog techfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nicetechfreak is just really nice techfreak's Avatar

How many students come to Tech because they receive state funding (i.e. Tops)?
    How much would tuition go up if we were private? Where would that leave Tech? It would probably leave us with about 8k students. Can't do much with that. Unless, of course, you'd like to be known as the Rice of Louisiana.

TF!

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
    How much would tuition go up if we were private? Where would that leave Tech? It would probably leave us with about 8k students. Can't do much with that. Unless, of course, you'd like to be known as the Rice of Louisiana.

TF!
    I know a ton of people that went to Tulane and used tops.

And DR would KILL to be the Rice of Louisiana.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by techfreak View Post

TF!
    We would need to raise more than $3.5 billion to catch up with Rice.
    ________
    BEAUTYBRUNETTE
    Last edited by LT; 05-05-2011 at 12:36 AM.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Let me ask this, would the university lose it's status as a charitable organization and then be subject to full taxation? Universities have some tax exempt status.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    Let me ask this, would the university lose it's status as a charitable organization and then be subject to full taxation? Universities have some tax exempt status.
    No, all the private universities I am familiar with are not-for-profits, and therefore eligible tax-exempt status.

Varsity Bulldog dawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nicedawg419 is just really nice dawg419's Avatar

Of course the part that is left out in this is what are you going to do to obtain the campus? I doubt the state would give that to the university if it wanted to go private. That is a major source of funding that doesn't appear on the annual budget.

Not that this would EVER happen, but I think if Tech were ever taken private, it would be in the best interest of the university to move to Shreveport. (Which is related to the reasons that Tech needs to be increasing its presence--marketing, partnerships, Barksdale campus, etc.-- in Shreveport in order to sustain growth.)

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

I, for one, am exceedingly proud of my PUBLIC ejumacation ... from 1st grade through graduate school.

This whole thread is quite absurd, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    I, for one, am exceedingly proud of my PUBLIC ejumacation ... from 1st grade through graduate school.

This whole thread is quite absurd, really.
    I can totally understand where this line of thinking comes from. We get a whole lot of interference for just a little bit of money by being a state school.

The problem, though, is that going private you get only a little less state interference (private schools are still accountable to certain laws governing higher education) and no money at all.

+ Reply to Thread