+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Take

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

My Take

OK, so I decided to make a long post today on how I see things right now.

First of all on the season:
    We lost all the games we thought were a good possibility of losing this year. The biggest complaint is the fact that we didn't play well and were not competitive in those games. I have seen very few flashes of what this team could be so far, but I have not given up hope. I long for the days when we were competitive with any bcs team on the field, but that is not to be this year. I can move past that, if we start to "get it together" from this point forward. We were warned over and over about what this year could be like, but we all (being true Tech fans) thought and hoped for something brighter. There are a LOT of games left on this schedule. We will see this weekend if this team is going to turn around or not. It will be interesting. I will never give up on the Dawgs, so I will just keep hanging in there through the good and bad. If we turn it around and start winning, things will be a lot more tolerable for those of us that choose to not live our life exposing ourselves to negativity all the time.

Our Program:
    Our football program has not drastically changed from last year or the year before. Our team has changed (like all schools), but we are the same program. We all know that we need to invest more to have a shot at CUSA. We all know that our leadership has hurt us - probably more with the lack of fundraising and marketing than scheduling, in my opinion. I TRULY long for the days when we did not complain about the schedule - instead we relished in it. The same people that are complaining now are the ones that were on cloud nine about playing the top bcs teams a while back. We used to not blink an eye at playing the Nebraska's, Alabama's, and Michigan States of the world. We WANTED to play them. The only thing that has changed since that time is that we are not as good on the field this year. My thought is that if you truly want to build a top program, you get through years like this, and continue the true TECH (not Fresno) banter of "ANYBODY ANYTIME ANYWHERE". Ahhhh, but when we are losing, it doesn't have the same ring to it. Our program has suffered some in the last few years. A missed CUSA opportunity brought the fans to their knees. A few bcs kills and we were flat on our backs. We CAN recover, though. When a recruit looks at our site, he will see the negativity of the only fans that are visible and wonder why he would even consider Tech. However, there are ways to complain and get things done without b*tching and moaning all the time. There is a good letter in the recruiting section that shows us the only tool we have right now, while still supporting our team and program.

Part of the program is our facilities, as well. Ours are not the best out there, but are not the worst either. We need some more improvements fast. That is, probably, my second biggest complaint. The FIRST complaint is marketing, though. You have to have that to improve things. A larger fan base and attendance would do wonders for our program. It is so tough to do that in a year like this one, but most of us know that nothing was being done even in years that we are at the top of our game. Complaining about it all the time does nothing, though. Again, we all need to send letters upon letters asking questions. It all does not have to be public, but it has to be consistent. When writing those letters, though, we need to give some credit to what has been done - even if we think it fell in our lap, instead of was earned.

It all comes down to how the team is doing. If we were winning right now, most everyone on here would think of all things in a more positive light. When we are losing, everyone thinks of EVERYTHING in a more negative light. Just because we are losing this year does NOT mean that we don't deserve to be in the WAC and will step down because of it. If that was the case, I think there are some B12 and SEC teams that need to step down from their conference, as well. A bad year does not mean ANYTHING about where you stand over time.

We will survive this year and may end up with a really good record. Even if we don't, though, I hope we can get our "bark" back again and start showing some pride. You don't have to like what D.R. or J.O. have done. You don't have to think that Bicknell is a good coach. Those things DO need to be addressed. I believe that you DO have to recognize that this is one year and it does not make a program, though. On the accumulating things that need to be addressed (the 3 people above, in my opinion), we need to keep up the pressure. It can be done in a way that shows how proud we are to be Bulldogs, though. We all love Tech, but we show it in different ways. I have a feeling that the personality that comes out of people on this message forum is the same personality we have in our everyday lives. When things get tough, some people complain about everything. Some, however, can pinpoint the problem and work on getting it right. There is no use in seeing the world as a negative place just because we have some problems.

OK, so that was my rambling long post today. I am not asking that anyone do anything different, I don't think. I just hope that we can all take a step back and breathe once in a while. Someone else can take it from here...........

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Re: My Take

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    OK, so I decided to make a long post today on how I see things right now.

First of all on the season:
    We lost all the games we thought were a good possibility of losing this year. The biggest complaint is the fact that we didn't play well and were not competitive in those games. I have seen very few flashes of what this team could be so far, but I have not given up hope. I long for the days when we were competitive with any bcs team on the field, but that is not to be this year. I can move past that, if we start to "get it together" from this point forward. We were warned over and over about what this year could be like, but we all (being true Tech fans) thought and hoped for something brighter. There are a LOT of games left on this schedule. We will see this weekend if this team is going to turn around or not. It will be interesting. I will never give up on the Dawgs, so I will just keep hanging in there through the good and bad. If we turn it around and start winning, things will be a lot more tolerable for those of us that choose to not live our life exposing ourselves to negativity all the time.

Our Program:
    Our football program has not drastically changed from last year or the year before. Our team has changed (like all schools), but we are the same program. We all know that we need to invest more to have a shot at CUSA. We all know that our leadership has hurt us - probably more with the lack of fundraising and marketing than scheduling, in my opinion. I TRULY long for the days when we did not complain about the schedule - instead we relished in it. The same people that are complaining now are the ones that were on cloud nine about playing the top bcs teams a while back. We used to not blink an eye at playing the Nebraska's, Alabama's, and Michigan States of the world. We WANTED to play them. The only thing that has changed since that time is that we are not as good on the field this year. My thought is that if you truly want to build a top program, you get through years like this, and continue the true TECH (not Fresno) banter of "ANYBODY ANYTIME ANYWHERE". Ahhhh, but when we are losing, it doesn't have the same ring to it. Our program has suffered some in the last few years. A missed CUSA opportunity brought the fans to their knees. A few bcs kills and we were flat on our backs. We CAN recover, though. When a recruit looks at our site, he will see the negativity of the only fans that are visible and wonder why he would even consider Tech. However, there are ways to complain and get things done without b*tching and moaning all the time. There is a good letter in the recruiting section that shows us the only tool we have right now, while still supporting our team and program.

Part of the program is our facilities, as well. Ours are not the best out there, but are not the worst either. We need some more improvements fast. That is, probably, my second biggest complaint. The FIRST complaint is marketing, though. You have to have that to improve things. A larger fan base and attendance would do wonders for our program. It is so tough to do that in a year like this one, but most of us know that nothing was being done even in years that we are at the top of our game. Complaining about it all the time does nothing, though. Again, we all need to send letters upon letters asking questions. It all does not have to be public, but it has to be consistent. When writing those letters, though, we need to give some credit to what has been done - even if we think it fell in our lap, instead of was earned.

It all comes down to how the team is doing. If we were winning right now, most everyone on here would think of all things in a more positive light. When we are losing, everyone thinks of EVERYTHING in a more negative light. Just because we are losing this year does NOT mean that we don't deserve to be in the WAC and will step down because of it. If that was the case, I think there are some B12 and SEC teams that need to step down from their conference, as well. A bad year does not mean ANYTHING about where you stand over time.

We will survive this year and may end up with a really good record. Even if we don't, though, I hope we can get our "bark" back again and start showing some pride. You don't have to like what D.R. or J.O. have done. You don't have to think that Bicknell is a good coach. Those things DO need to be addressed. I believe that you DO have to recognize that this is one year and it does not make a program, though. On the accumulating things that need to be addressed (the 3 people above, in my opinion), we need to keep up the pressure. It can be done in a way that shows how proud we are to be Bulldogs, though. We all love Tech, but we show it in different ways. I have a feeling that the personality that comes out of people on this message forum is the same personality we have in our everyday lives. When things get tough, some people complain about everything. Some, however, can pinpoint the problem and work on getting it right. There is no use in seeing the world as a negative place just because we have some problems.

OK, so that was my rambling long post today. I am not asking that anyone do anything different, I don't think. I just hope that we can all take a step back and breathe once in a while. Someone else can take it from here...........
    A few comments:

1. This year's team is young and inexperienced for sure. They have made some bone head mistakes due to this. We all kinda expected some of this. What was not expected was the way our coaching staff has apparently not become teachers and developers of this raw talent.

2. Our program, directly due to the poor leadership from the two top guys, JO and DR, has done nothing to keep us moving forward since WAC membership was attained. When you are standing still, you are moving backwards. This is SO obvious when you compare us to Boise and even others like NMSU, Idaho, et. al. in the WAC. DR and JO seem to be in a time warp and can't get out of the 1980's,

3. A glaring symptom of poor leadership is the way our facilities have deteriorated. Not one major improvement has occurred until this year, and that, as we know, was due to some very generous person that obviously was sick of seeing things not moving forward. Ongoing maintenance is terrible, and simple things like bathroom cleanliness and facade staining (TAC), et. al., shows this is true. This shows the lack of pride in what you have, in my mind. The facilites we have are not the most modern, but we should have the ability to keep up what we do have to a level of decency.

4. There have been several smart, caring individuals (most members of this board) that have tried valiantly to give advice to our administration in order to improve the way the athletic department conducts business. Most all of these suggestions were poo-poo'ed as unworthy or not acceptable. They, like a lot of us, have realized we are more or less powerless to get anything really changed.

The fact is that lots of fans (including me) have acquired the "kick the dog" mentality of taking it out on the football team because of the frustration of seeing the inability and seemingly apathy of our leadership. When we see even the slightest sign that someone at the top cares, maybe the everyday fan will begin to rally around our teams once more. I eagerly await for that time.

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

So what do you (anyone) suggest the true TECH fan do to help make a differenece?

Indivisually we are just pions. But as a collective whole we could be very powerful. This is where I wonder how a "letter" from myself would help. I think what we need is a common and very public message. Something that other fans, possibly disgruntle fans, will look at and think about.

Personally I think this web site has allowed us to come together but we are only a few. I would love there to be 10,000 active fans here instead of 1,000, but I truely don't think we have time to build that many fans here before the admin at Louisiana Tech totaly destroy any hope for the future of Louisiana Tech Athletics.

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

1000 fan press conference for the State of the Fan Base!

Fox, can you give us a forum?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LITEMAN View Post
    So what do you (anyone) suggest the true TECH fan do to help make a differenece?

Indivisually we are just pions. But as a collective whole we could be very powerful. This is where I wonder how a "letter" from myself would help. I think what we need is a common and very public message. Something that other fans, possibly disgruntle fans, will look at and think about.

Personally I think this web site has allowed us to come together but we are only a few. I would love there to be 10,000 active fans here instead of 1,000, but I truely don't think we have time to build that many fans here before the admin at Louisiana Tech totaly destroy any hope for the future of Louisiana Tech Athletics.

http://www.latechbbb.com/index.php?name=Recommend_Us

This is a start. Many of our core group of fans don't know about this site. Why do you think JO didn't follow up on BBB's offer to be a "CASH" sponsor? Also, may of the apathetic fans who once brushed this site off as "a bunch of squirrels" have now sat up and taken notice that the program they love so much is going nowhere fast.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Coming together and acting as one is about the only thing that can make a difference. Our message needs to be that we are PROUD of Tech, proud of the accomplishments, and what we see as things we can do better. People need to know that we are not just complainers, but are people wanting improvement.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

I see where Jim finally took one of my suggestions and ran with it. When you guys drive in this weekend notice where the cyclone fence on tech drive has been removed. Also, check out the nice flower beds.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TECH88 View Post
    I see where Jim finally took one of my suggestions and ran with it. When you guys drive in this weekend notice where the cyclone fence on tech drive has been removed. Also, check out the nice flower beds.
    I've seen where they torn down the old fence. We were trying to figure out what they were doing with the new. It looks like they are building a smaller version of the old fence. Are they going to grow the hedges higher than the fence to make it look like a hedge row with no fence?

No critique, just curiosity.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    I've seen where they torn down the old fence. We were trying to figure out what they were doing with the new. It looks like they are building a smaller version of the old fence. Are they going to grow the hedges higher than the fence to make it look like a hedge row with no fence?

No critique, just curiosity.
    I'm not sure what type shrubs those are, but they sure planted them close to each other. I'm assuming they want them to grow as high as the new fence. All I know is that it looks much better.

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LITEMAN View Post
    A "differenece"?

Stop drinking that dang lite beer for one.

Champ george is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of lightgeorge is a glorious beacon of light

all good points champion...winning cures everything. i guess one of the things that bothers me is when people come on this board and talk about all the things that are wrong (not just winning vs. losing) in the athletic department in general, like how the money is spent, etc. as if they are "in the know". and maybe they are "in the know", but it just ends up being confusing to try and differentiate legitimate complaints and information from ranting fans. some have great opinions (such as, our travel and schedule is bad) but no specific solutions as to what to do. and the personal attacks...saying you don't like the job of the A.D. or the university president is doing as it relates to athletics is reasonable...jumping on the board and screaming, "he sucks" is lacking a level of articulation that i would hope would be better from tech fans. i don't ever post, say right after a game like vs. clemson, because i would probably regret it later. i realize that message boards are for ranting fans and i also realize ours is relatively tame compared to some others (as examples, i wonder what fresno state and lsu boards are saying this week?).
    but this board does seem overly negative, given that everyone kind of knew this was going to be a down year. so far i realize its been really down, worse than i thought it would be. not from a wins and losses standpoint, but a competetiveness standpoint. we just don't seem to be getting better weekly.
    still, the negative posts...i wonder why the former long snapper (graham) came on this board for a while and then disappeared? and we don't hear too much from mickey14 either lately. theses are two opinions i value highly...they are "in the know" but have probably slowed down or quit posting altogether because of the general tenor of this board.
    so keep up the long and REASONABLE rants champion - good job.

Champ Bossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really nice Bossdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amos Moses View Post
    What was not expected was the way our coaching staff has apparently not become teachers and developers of this raw talent.

WOW, 2 words for yaa. LUKE McCown

Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    all good points champion...winning cures everything. i guess one of the things that bothers me is when people come on this board and talk about all the things that are wrong (not just winning vs. losing) in the athletic department in general, like how the money is spent, etc. as if they are "in the know". and maybe they are "in the know", but it just ends up being confusing to try and differentiate legitimate complaints and information from ranting fans. some have great opinions (such as, our travel and schedule is bad) but no specific solutions as to what to do. and the personal attacks...saying you don't like the job of the A.D. or the university president is doing as it relates to athletics is reasonable...jumping on the board and screaming, "he sucks" is lacking a level of articulation that i would hope would be better from tech fans. i don't ever post, say right after a game like vs. clemson, because i would probably regret it later. i realize that message boards are for ranting fans and i also realize ours is relatively tame compared to some others (as examples, i wonder what fresno state and lsu boards are saying this week?).
    but this board does seem overly negative, given that everyone kind of knew this was going to be a down year. so far i realize its been really down, worse than i thought it would be. not from a wins and losses standpoint, but a competetiveness standpoint. we just don't seem to be getting better weekly.
    still, the negative posts...i wonder why the former long snapper (graham) came on this board for a while and then disappeared? and we don't hear too much from mickey14 either lately. theses are two opinions i value highly...they are "in the know" but have probably slowed down or quit posting altogether because of the general tenor of this board.
    so keep up the long and REASONABLE rants champion - good job.
    Thanks for the good post. You bring up a valid point about message boards. It is very difficult to figure out what is true, what is gossip, and what is "in the know". You are right about that being on every fan site. I just hope for a win this weekend, because no matter who it is against, it brings the spirits up and most people become a little more rational.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bossdawg View Post
    WOW, 2 words for yaa. LUKE McCown

Stuff like that concerns me even more than the play-calling, apparent attitude, ect. We can have the greatest recruiting class in the nation, but if we don't develop these guys, they'll never compete with the best. Think about it...maybe 0.1% of all kids recruited make a true impact their freshman year...and even those guys have to get better to be real competitors and move on to the next level. I often wonder what Luke's career could've been had he been tutored by the likes of a Crowton.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ okiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud ofokiealdawg has much to be proud of

As far as Jim Oakes job performance:

1. CUSA - It was a miserable failure and it was his job to try and get us in. He did nothing at all. Will still do not even have a jumbotron when advertising alone can foot the bill for one.
    2. Scheduling - Look at this years schedule - 5 home games in a 12 game schedule??? Look at our first five games - what a great way to break in a young team. If we had a coach with balls then he would have thrown a fit over this but we don't because he is always worried about losing his job.
    3. Corp. Sponsors - We still have none and have not seen any growth in this area at all. I sometimes what Jim does at work all day???
    4. Facility Condition - All you need to do is drive threw and look and look around.

What are we paying this clown? I think my gloden retriever could do at least as good as job and would only cost us about $10-15 a week for food and tennis balls...

+ Reply to Thread