+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stros Fans

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Stros Fans

My dad hunts with Russell Springer's dad. He has been saying that the Stros are hitting the Yankees hard right now to try to get A-Rod. I didnt know if anyone else had heard this, or what people thought about it?

Firejimoakes.com
    Webmaster
    Beaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the rough

Re: Stros Fans

There was an article in the Chronicle where a journalist gave reason why we should not get A-Rod. He said overpriced, can't perform in the clutch, clubhouse cancer, etc.

Here is my thought - we pick him up, put him back at SS where he belongs. Adam Everett is good defensively - A-Rod won 2 gold gloves at SS. Everett is useless at the plate. A-Rod will at least hit 30 homers and 85 RBI's. If he fails in the playoffs, it won't be any different the Everett. If NY will pay part of his salary, get him. Pickup Carlos Lee and know we have a lineup to go with our pitching if Clemens and/or Pettittee come back.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaz17 View Post
    There was an article in the Chronicle where a journalist gave reason why we should not get A-Rod. He said overpriced, can't perform in the clutch, clubhouse cancer, etc.

Here is my thought - we pick him up, put him back at SS where he belongs. Adam Everett is good defensively - A-Rod won 2 gold gloves at SS. Everett is useless at the plate. A-Rod will at least hit 30 homers and 85 RBI's. If he fails in the playoffs, it won't be any different the Everett. If NY will pay part of his salary, get him. Pickup Carlos Lee and know we have a lineup to go with our pitching if Clemens and/or Pettittee come back.
    Well, Adam Everett is great defensively, probably the best in the league. I say if the stros get A-Rod, trade Ensberg to see if you can get anything for him. He is probably the most inconsistent hitter I have ever seen. I think Everett makes up for his offensive shortcomings, plus he has some upside on the offensive side.

Puppy Woods Dawg seems to have something between the earsWoods Dawg seems to have something between the earsWoods Dawg seems to have something between the earsWoods Dawg seems to have something between the earsWoods Dawg seems to have something between the earsWoods Dawg seems to have something between the ears

Who are you going to trade for A-Rod? The Yankees are going to want starting pitching.

Firejimoakes.com
    Webmaster
    Beaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the rough

I would give them 1 or top 2 pitching prospects (Hirsch or Buchholz) and Pence.

I wonder how the Yanks would respond to that. They usually just want proven guys. Look at them every year, they hardly ever have young talent that ends up being great for them. Jeter and Rivera are about the only ones I can think of that came up through the season. Even the guys they pawn off of the other teams are older and proven. It makes me question how well the Yanks Org. can evaluate unproven talent. Even their "rookies" are usually overseas guys who have torn it up in Japan for a while.

Varsity Bulldog beefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nice beefcakes's Avatar

Even though we need a big right hand stick, way too much $$. A-Rod isn't worth $20 million plus. Heck I'd rather have Carlos Beltran back than to pick up A-Rod.

Just a side note ......... I spent the last 3 days in H-town this week (flew back home today). It was real nice to go jogging around Minute Maid the last couple of afternoons. I lived in Houston 1995 through 1999. Always heard that The Taste of Texas had the best steak in town, but I never had the opportunity to go. Well last night, I finally went. That was hands down the best New York Strip I've ever had. No contest. And the Shiner Boch was flowin' like wine. The Taste of Texas has earned the beefcakes seal of approval.

Quote Originally Posted by beefcakes View Post
    Even though we need a big right hand stick, way too much $$. A-Rod isn't worth $20 million plus. Heck I'd rather have Carlos Beltran back than to pick up A-Rod.

Just a side note ......... I spent the last 3 days in H-town this week (flew back home today). It was real nice to go jogging around Minute Maid the last couple of afternoons. I lived in Houston 1995 through 1999. Always heard that The Taste of Texas had the best steak in town, but I never had the opportunity to go. Well last night, I finally went. That was hands down the best New York Strip I've ever had. No contest. And the Shiner Boch was flowin' like wine. The Taste of Texas has earned the beefcakes seal of approval.
    Yeh, I thought the money thing would be hard for Houston to swallow. They would need the Yanks to eat up as much as 25 percent of it to make it affordable.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaz17 View Post
    I would give them 1 or top 2 pitching prospects (Hirsch or Buchholz) and Pence.
    No way Jose. Our future is in our young pitchers. Our pitching coach was let go because they want an even better coach for these young men. We mortgaged our future in 1969 when we traded Joe Morgan to get the proven Lee May. We better not make that mistake again.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I think Oswalt would be a good one to go in the trade.

2005 Bowl Confidence Contest Champion LaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the roughLaTechRandy is a jewel in the rough LaTechRandy's Avatar

Don't forget you've got a closer situation to address.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

I like Adam E at short. He is the best defensive shortstop in the game according to the computers. .240 is a lot better than we got from third or catcher or Jason Lane this year.

The Astros need some offense from third base which A-Rod would bring.

The Astros also need some offensive production from behind the plate.

Oh, and a new closer wouldn't hurt either. The Astros would have made it to the playoffs if it wasn't for all of Brad Lidge's blown saves. He is the only Astro that I have ever seen booed off the field.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

From the mailbag on www.astros.com

As far-fetched as it may sound, if Alex Rodriguez waives his no-trade clause, what are the chances that the Astros would even attempt at trading for him? And if so, what would they be willing to give?
    -- Jordan O., Jacksonville, Ark.

It wouldn't hurt to at least look into it, and I'm betting the Astros will ask about him. As of now, the Yankees are saying they are not interested in trading him, and Rodriguez is saying that he's not interested in being traded. A-Rod has complete control over his future because he has a no-trade clause, and I'm not too confident he'd consider the Astros even if he agreed to leave the Yankees.

The Rangers are paying a large portion of A-Rod's salary, so whoever has him next year will pay him $64 million over the next four seasons. That's $16 million a year -- steep, but not unreasonable.

I do not know A-Rod and have never been around his teams on a regular basis. But I've heard the same things you've heard -- that he's not a team guy, that he's a phony, that he's completely obsessed with his image and what the public thinks of him. Guys like that get eaten up in New York. In Houston? Eh, I've seen worse. Players with all sorts of issues and hang-ups have come to Houston and conducted themselves without much controversy.

But, this is A-Rod we're talking about -- one of the best players in the game, and when it's all over, he'll be considered one of the best ever. In that respect, the spotlight will be on him constantly, no matter where he's playing. If he's not a "team guy" to begin with, that could cause a divide in a relatively tranquil Houston clubhouse. And then there is the big issue -- who the Yankees will want in return. They need pitching. Jason Hirsh would be the first to go, but the Yankees may want a second starting pitcher, too. The back end of the bullpen would probably have to be gutted, too. I don't see how the Astros can come out of this ahead. So on A-Rod, I'm voting no.

Varsity Bulldog beefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nicebeefcakes is just really nice beefcakes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    I think Oswalt would be a good one to go in the trade.
    I wouldn't trade Oswalt for 2 A-Rods.

Champ playdablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of light playdablues's Avatar

Baseball Re: Stros Fans

As a life-long Astros fan, my opinion (which ain't worth much) is as follows:

As far as A-Rod: money isn't an option. Bagwell's option won't be picked up and he will likely retire. Clemens, in my opinion, won't be back. That frees up a considerable amount of cash. Oh, and if A-Rod were to somehow join Houston, Adam Everett would NOT be playing short.

My gut tells me Rodriguez goes nowhere. He has the no-trade clause, and things would have to get very, very ugly in yankeeworld for him to leave. But hey, we're talking about the yankees & steinbrenner...anything's possible.

I don't know if Pettitte is coming back, nor do I know if I really want him to. I think over the course of a season, he's now inconsistent at best. He remains a good "big-game" pitcher, however. If Andy decides to return, the Astros will certainly have him back. I think Clemens is gone.

While it is correct to be concerned about Lidge, it's not that big of a deal to me. The Mets had the fewest blown saves in the NL with 15. Houston had 18. I think Lidge's struggles have been so heavily scrutinized because he's been so successful till now. Plus, when he blows it, he REALLY blows it, in spectacular fashion (quit laughing, Pujols) I've always liked Lidge and I'm pulling for him to get through this. To single him out as the reason Houston didn't make the playoffs is pretty silly.

The real problem is OFFENSE. The Astros tied with the freaking Devil Rays for the lowest team batting avg in the Majors for goodness sake. I'm not saying to dismantle the pitching staff for the sake of some bats, but the lack of hitting must be addressed.

Houston has had a decent run for a while now. It's time to find some more leaders...Oswalt and Berkman can't do it all by themselves. And while I haven't verified it for myself, it seems to me Houston is getting old. We need a good young player or two.

+ Reply to Thread