+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stros Fans

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Re: Stros Fans

Quote Originally Posted by playdablues View Post
    Well, two months later, the Astros have made some pretty big moves. What do you guys think now?
    Not big on the Jennings move. He has been mediocre and is going to be 29. Hirsch might end up being a stud and Buchholz decent. Taveras is an old school leadoff hitter. I dont know I was never big on giving up promising young pitching for mediocre older pitching.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Well, two months later, the Astros have made some pretty big moves. What do you guys think now?
    Once we lost Petitte, we bascially lost Clemens. Even the Astros' web site is conceding Clemens is gone to the Yankess. Petitte and Clemens have the same agent. Once that happened, I would have preferred to keep our two prospects instead of trading for Jennings. Jennings contract expires in '07. Hirsh is a stud, and Buchholz has proved he will stay in the majors. I think we just mortgaged our future. They would have been studs for the Astros. Who knows what happens to them in the thin air stadium.

Although he is overpriced Lee is a much needed addition. Is it enough for our anenmic offense? Probably not, but it will be nice to force opposing pitchers to throw to Berkman.

The long and short of it is, I do think Pupura is a very good GM, so I have to trust he is putting the pieces of the puzzle together. Hirsh has been on the table from the beginning, Petitte has had chonric elbow problems, and Clemens only pictches for half a year now. As it sits right now, I don't see how the puzzle fits. Let's see how things go for the next few months.

Champ playdablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of light playdablues's Avatar

Baseball Re: Stros Fans

The Astros definately had to have more offense. To not make a move for a big stick was unacceptable. But they sunk A LOT of dough in Carlos Lee. Lee is going to be under pressure to produce early and often. Lee also isn't the best fielder in the world and the defense was further weakened with the trading of Tavaras. Who will play center ( an important position @ Minute Maid)? Chris Burke?, a converted second baseman?

My first reaction at hearing about the trade yesterday was negative. Jason Jennings? But I'm trying to like him. He did have a good ERA last year and he was Rookie of the Year in 2002. We can only hope he blossoms this year. The really big concern is what Sooner already stated...he's a free agent next year. It will be interesting to watch and see if they sign Jennings to a new deal before the season starts.

Tavaras got traded because Scott Boras is his agent and I believe he had one year remaining on his deal...could be wrong. We'll miss his defense but not his bat. He provided blazing speed but never developed into a base-stealing force. He's got talent though & may come back to haunt us. Same thing with Buchholz and especially Hirsh. I was surprised to see both of these guys go. Chris Sampson is still an Astro though (for now).

Would you have rather had John Garland? What do you guys think about the way Pettitte left?

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

What do you guys think about the way Pettitte left?
    I think he wanted to go. The offense was offensive last year, but I don't think that was the problem. It was about money. He is trying to make it look like this was a disagreement over 2 million (like 2 million isn't a lot of money). It was about 19 million difference. The Yankees offered Pettitte a player option for the second year for $17,000,000. Pettitte has had chronic elbow problems, so the only team that could offer that much money was the Yankees.

Again, Andy and Roger have the same agent. I think it was made known that they were going back to New York like the heroes with the white pin-striped hat. Andy is putting a spin on this by saying it had something to do with the Astros putting feelers out for a number 2 starter. The Astros didn't make a deal until Andy bolted for the Bronx.

Andy wanted to go, and he just needs to admit that. He was treated very fairly by the Astros. The long and short of it is, one would be a fool to turn down 19 million dollars guaranteed.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    I think he wanted to go. The offense was offensive last year, but I don't think that was the problem. It was about money. He is trying to make it look like this was a disagreement over 2 million (like 2 million isn't a lot of money). It was about 19 million difference. The Yankees offered Pettitte a player option for the second year for $17,000,000. Pettitte has had chronic elbow problems, so the only team that could offer that much money was the Yankees.

Again, Andy and Roger have the same agent. I think it was made known that they were going back to New York like the heroes with the white pin-striped hat. Andy is putting a spin on this by saying it had something to do with the Astros putting feelers out for a number 2 starter. The Astros didn't make a deal until Andy bolted for the Bronx.

Andy wanted to go, and he just needs to admit that. He was treated very fairly by the Astros. The long and short of it is, one would be a fool to turn down 19 million dollars guaranteed.
    WOW, a baseball thread in the middle of basketball season and during the TECH football coach selection process.

I agree about Pettite. It was the 2nd year (player option) that the Yankees offered that sealed the deal. The Astros did not/would not match that second year player option. If Clemens goes to New York also then that is OK with me.

My dream job is to be GM of a baseball team. If I were the GM of the Astros, here is what I would do if Drayton wanted to keep payroll down and still be competitive in 2007.

Pitching, of course, is always the primary concern. Brandon Backe will likely not be available in 2007. Hopefully, Wandy can perform in 2007 as well as he did in the latter part of 2007. Woody Williams is getting old but maybe he can produce 12 to 15 wins. Hopefully, Astacio and Nieve will perform well. As far as relievers, I think Qualls, Wheeler, and Lidge will be kept along with Borkowski and Trevor Miller in middle relief. Springer signed with the Cards.

Position players - IMO, trade Ensberg for a LH long reliever (spot starter) and give the 3rd base job to Mike Lamb. Berkman, Biggio, and Everett remain in the infield with Burke and Bruntlett as backups. In the outfield, use Jason Lane, Luke Scott, Chris Burke, and Carlos Lee. Lee got a huge contract and he should lead the outfield offensively. Orlando Palmeiro can be kept if roster space is available.

Early prediction - a wild card spot seems to be the best hope as the Cardinals should remain strong.

Firejimoakes.com
    Webmaster
    Beaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the roughBeaz17 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    WOW, a baseball thread in the middle of basketball season and during the TECH football coach selection process.

I agree about Pettite. It was the 2nd year (player option) that the Yankees offered that sealed the deal. The Astros did not/would not match that second year player option. If Clemens goes to New York also then that is OK with me.

My dream job is to be GM of a baseball team. If I were the GM of the Astros, here is what I would do if Drayton wanted to keep payroll down and still be competitive in 2007.

Pitching, of course, is always the primary concern. Brandon Backe will likely not be available in 2007. Hopefully, Wandy can perform in 2007 as well as he did in the latter part of 2007. Woody Williams is getting old but maybe he can produce 12 to 15 wins. Hopefully, Astacio and Nieve will perform well. As far as relievers, I think Qualls, Wheeler, and Lidge will be kept along with Borkowski and Trevor Miller in middle relief. Springer signed with the Cards.

Position players - IMO, trade Ensberg for a LH long reliever (spot starter) and give the 3rd base job to Mike Lamb. Berkman, Biggio, and Everett remain in the infield with Burke and Bruntlett as backups. In the outfield, use Jason Lane, Luke Scott, Chris Burke, and Carlos Lee. Lee got a huge contract and he should lead the outfield offensively. Orlando Palmeiro can be kept if roster space is available.

Early prediction - a wild card spot seems to be the best hope as the Cardinals should remain strong.
    My opinion. I like Ensberg as a person, but he needs to be traded or benched for Lamb. Jason Lane should be traded while he still has value. He is horrible, strikes out to much, and chokes in pressure situations. I would have keep Taveras if possible. His defense will be missed in MMP. I can see a lot of double and triples in the gaps between Lee and Burke in the OF. Oh well, gotta hope for best and maybe Sampson will pitch well. The only stars we have that I would trust with the game on the line right now are Berkman, Lee, and Oswalt.

After thinking about the Jennings trade for several days, I think this is going to go down as the worst trade in baseball since the Joe Morgan/Lee May trade.

Colorado got not just three prospects, they go two proovens and an outstanding prospect. We just lost everything we got in the Wagner trade.

Along with Jeff Francis, Colorado has an excellent young pitching staff. We got a starter with losing record last year and only one year left on his contract.

We are going to pay for this trade for a long, long time.

Look at our pathetic rotation as it stands:

Roy Oswalt
    Jason Jennings
    Woody Williams
    Wandy Rodriguez
    Matt Albers

We are going to lose this year, and there is no way around it. The Jason Jennings trade cannot be classified as a "this makes us a winner this year" trade. We should have kept our young players and built on that.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

After thinking about the Jennings trade for several days, I think this is going to go down as the worst trade in baseball since the Joe Morgan/Lee May trade.

Colorado got not just three prospects, they go two proovens and an outstanding prospect. We just lost everything we got in the Wagner trade.

Along with Jeff Francis, Colorado has an excellent young pitching staff. We got a starter with losing record last year and only one year left on his contract.

We are going to pay for this trade for a long, long time.

Look at our pathetic rotation as it stands:

Roy Oswalt
    Jason Jennings
    Woody Williams
    Wandy Rodriguez
    Matt Albers

We are going to lose this year, and there is no way around it. The Jason Jennings trade cannot be classified as a "this makes us a winner this year" trade. We should have kept our young players and built on that.
    I am right there with you man, brutal trade.

Champ playdablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of lightplaydablues is a glorious beacon of light playdablues's Avatar

Baseball Re: Stros Fans

I agree Sooner. I gave this a chance and, like you, thought about this a few days. I can't find anything to be positive about...unless someone in Colorado hits Hirsh on top of the head with a bat and he turns into a big gold coin like in Mario Brothers. Then, we can be like, "wow, I'm glad we got rid of THAT loser"...

Seriously though, bad trade for the Astros. This looks like a complete panic job on Purpura's part, after losing Pettitte and having the Garland deal fall through. Jennings needs to turn into Tom Seaver between now and April.

I know Buchholz has arm issues...maybe Hirsh is a basket case or something. We can only hope, but on the surface -- bad trade.

Oh, btw...I think Jennings' ERA in the Juice Box is 10+.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

70-92 for the Year... sorry Howard.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    70-92 for the Year... sorry Howard.
    I am to Astros baseball and TECH men's basketball what Champion110 is to Lady Techster basketball. Neither of us ever want to give up hope for our teams. However, my prediction for the Astros is that the best hope is for a wild card spot. This is probably a slim hope because the NL is getting more balanced. The Phillies, Mets, Marlins in the east; the Cards, Reds, and Brewers in the central; and the Dodgers and Padres in the west have to be in the hunt for a playoff spot. Even the Rockies could be much improved thanks to the trade with the Astros.

As far as the Astros trade with the Rockies, I am not very happy about it. The trade hurt the Astros offense and defense and may not have improved the pitching. The Astros primary problem the past two years has been lack of offense. Traded away was Taveras - a great defensive player who was a good leadoff hitter with the potential to become a great leadoff hitter. The Astros gained two pitchers but no offensive players.

Jason Jennings, of course, was the key to the deal. I'm impressed by what the Astros website has to say about him.
    Jennings, 28, was 9-13 with a 3.78 ERA for the Rockies in 2006 with three complete games and two shutouts. Colorado's all-time leader in victories, Jennings' 3.78 ERA last season represented the second-lowest full-season mark in Colorado franchise history and ranked 12th overall in the National League. Jennings also posted career-high totals in 2006 in innings pitched (212) and strikeouts (142).
    "This is obviously a big piece of our puzzle that we tried to solve all offseason, to get that solid No. 2 starter and put him in our rotation," Purpura said. "Jennings has been very impressive. Last year we watched him very closely, from May 29 to the end of the season his ERA was only 3.17, the second-lowest in the NL during that time and fourth in the Majors. "He had three complete games, two shutouts during that period, plus he had the second-lowest run support in the Major Leagues during that period of time.

It remains to be seen how this trade will stack up with previous Astros trades but, at this point, I am skeptical that it will be good for the Astros. If Jennings is one year and gone and the former Astros perform well, then it could be among the worst trades in Astros history. IMO, this trade has a greater chance for disaster than for success. However, as always, I hope for the best for the Houston Astros.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

I am sooo pissed that the Astros traded away Willy Taveras. He was one of my favorite players. He did all of the little things to help the team win. He will definitely be missed. BTW, I met him this summer at the Cheesecake Factory in the Galleria, and he was very friendly. I talked to him for about 20 minutes while waiting for a table and took a pic with him. He is a really good guy.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

GO STROS!!!!

Here is what I consider to be some very good news. The Astros signed Mark Loretta yesterday. He is a career 299 hitter. Although he dropped off to 285 last year with Boston, he has hit well over 300 in the National League.

This one came out of nowhere; one of those "blind hog" things. Loretta's agent was trying to find a guaranteed spot at second base, but no one would bite. Once he couldn't get that, the national league bacame his league of choice because of the opportunities for a utility man to play daily as a pinch hitter.

My theory is that we still don't have a third baseman who can hit with consistency. I look for Loretta to replace End(of rally)sburg as the everyday third baseman. He is listed as third in the depth chart right now at third, but he has, by far, the best average of the three listed (Endsburg, Lamb, Loretta).

Here is what I consider to be some very good news. The Astros signed Mark Loretta yesterday. He is a career 299 hitter. Although he dropped off to 285 last year with Boston, he has hit well over 300 in the National League.

This one came out of nowhere; one of those "blind hog" things. Loretta's agent was trying to find a guaranteed spot at second base, but no one would bite. Once he couldn't get that, the national league bacame his league of choice because of the opportunities for a utility man to play daily as a pinch hitter.

My theory is that we still don't have a third baseman who can hit with consistency. I look for Loretta to replace End(of rally)sburg as the everyday third baseman. He is listed as third in the depth chart right now at third, but he has, by far, the best average of the three listed (Endsburg, Lamb, Loretta).
    I saw the same thing yesterday. IMO, it will not be long before someone is traded/released because of this good signing. My guess is that Morgan Ensberg may be traded for a prospect.

+ Reply to Thread