+ Reply to Thread

Thread: JJ's Editorial

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

JJ's Editorial

Did anybody catch JJ Marshall's sports editorial in the 10/12/06 Tech Talk? He does a good job of calling out Tech students who maintain allegiance to LSU.

This week's stuff hasn't been posted on the website yet, but when it is it will be at this link:

http://www.latech.edu/techtalk/current/sports.php

Puppy bcriverrat has turned a few heads around herebcriverrat has turned a few heads around here bcriverrat's Avatar

Re: JJ's Editorial

Brian96,
    I wish you would bump this when the article is linked to the address you mention. I look forward to reading because as an alumni, I have many alumni friends that fall into to this category. Very disappointing. Thanks.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Bump. As of 10/13/06 JJ's editorial is first on the list when you follow the link above.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

not to take anything away from jj, because i know he bleeds blue and i respect him as a journalist (he has a lot of potential) -- but this is the same thing my sports editor and i were saying 4 years ago. and i'm sure it's the same thing people have been saying for years before us. we have a major perception problem, and it starts on our campus and with our alumni.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    not to take anything away from jj, because i know he bleeds blue and i respect him as a journalist (he has a lot of potential) -- but this is the same thing my sports editor and i were saying 4 years ago. and i'm sure it's the same thing people have been saying for years before us. we have a major perception problem, and it starts on our campus and with our alumni.
    Good, at least someone has picked up your mantle.

Also, the timing was pretty interesting, too, because the week before they ran an editorial talking about former Bulldogs in the NFL. Give these kids some perspective.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

it starts on our campus and with our alumni.- theproffessor

Yep. You got it. We've always lacked campus spirit and it has grown in the last few years, but what memories have been formed by them from athletics that will ever bring them back or keep them coming after graduation? If a Tech grad lives in Dallas, Birmingham, or Little Rock, why should they waste a weekend (at minimum a full day) to make the drive over to see our mess? Now if we were cracking the top 25 every three years or going to bowl games (obviously attainable) they stand a better chance of following Tech and making several of those trips each year. As it stands now, we are losing our potential faithful to the LSUs and Texas' of the world because we just make it too easy for them to go that way.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Good article. I have to disagree some with you guys. Although, there is still the same problem at Tech with students being fans of other schools, I believe this is the one thing that has really improved some. I see more students and louder students at the football games than a few years back. I would be VERY nice if that would continue to build and transfer to the bball teams, as well. It is growing. If we could manage to get our team back to competing with the bcs teams and winning some of those, I think it would do even more to build on this. There is more momentum in building the student base than there has been in a long time, though.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Yeh, I remember that Luke Derouen wrote the same thing the year after I left. It mostly focused on LSU gimps at Tech. Maybe if we keep hammering all of the tools at Tech with this stuff, they might realize how stupid they are for rooting for other schools. Either way, it cannot hurt to call them out.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    not to take anything away from jj, because i know he bleeds blue and i respect him as a journalist (he has a lot of potential) -- but this is the same thing my sports editor and i were saying 4 years ago. and i'm sure it's the same thing people have been saying for years before us. Yes, I agree, we have a major perception problem, and it starts on our campus and with our alumni.
    Prof, not to take anything away from you . . . your comments would have greater credibility if you left out the part I highlighted in red and added the blue. Us old TT sports editors always put in our .02, huh?:icon_wink:
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread